“Nice place to stay.”

Aston Waikiki Sunset
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Nice place to stay - very clean - had a full sized kitchen which was great. Not too far from the beach within walking distance - not a far walk at all. We were looking for a place within walking distance to the beach, restaurants and stores. Nice quiet room - would definitely stay here again. Staff was always very helpful. We spoke to a couple we met on one of our tours and they were staying right across from Waikiki Beach - stated it was very noisy all the time. We told them about our place and they wished they had stayed there. We were glad we chose this place.

Room Tip: Within walking distance to the beach, restaurants and stores - staff was very helpful
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annette B
SUNgm808, Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Aloha and thank you for your positive comments on your recent stay with us. Its great to hear how our product, service, and location made your stay enjoyable. Thank you for promoting us as well.
Mahalo for your great comments and we hope to see you back at the Aston Waikiki Sunset.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Good: the unlimited new release DVD hire system; some staff, close to beach.Kitchen facilities good, beds in room small but nice.
Bad:windy and shady pool, no spa pool ( despite being told by reception there were 2), the room was only serviced once in the week ( I had to ring and ask for servicing), expensive tennis raquet hire for old and rubbish racquets ( nice court though), sofa bed uncomfy, some staff not that friendly and be prepared to wait a long time for a lift!!.

We did not choose to stay here, we were double booked by the banyan and so they sent us to Sunset, the rooms were ok if you are not looking for a good recreation deck this would be a good choice for a reasonably priced condo stay

Room Tip: high up, looking at diamond head or beach
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Aloha and thank you for sharing your comments on your stay with us. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our amenities we provide. We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication we have caused. Your experience has been shared with the respective departments regarding the product and service.
Mahalo for staying with us and again, thank you for your review of our property.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here over the New Year holiday period for 6 nights. Our two bedroom apartment was dated, not very clean and very small. It is not right in the middle of Waikiki so if you want to shop or visit Waikiki beach (not the part that is walled off from the ocean) then it is a bit of a walk which is fine except for the days when it is very humid and hot. With five of us in the apartment it felt very small and the bedroom with the queen bed was so small that we could only put one suitcase in there - the other one had to stay out in the lounge.Could barely walk around to the far side of the bed there was so little space. The place needs some refurbishment - when it was raining and windy the rain came in the bathroom window because it did not shut properly and the whistling of the wind from the ranchslider in the lounge was very loud and annoying for our daughter who was sleeping in the lounge on the sofa bed. Walls in the bathroom were dirty and needed a good clean. Pool only gets sun first thing in the morning and then it is in shade so although it looks like quite a nice pool it is not attractive to go and sit there as it is shady most of the day. Stay here if it is the only option but there are much nicer places to stay. The one postiive thing about the place is that the service was quite good.

2  Thank Jane v
SUNgm808, Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear our two bedroom unit didn't meet your expectation. Your comment regarding the bathroom window and the walls will be shared with our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper for inspection.
I would like to thank you for complementing the staff on their service.

Mahalo for staying with us and sharing your review of our hotel.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here in July 2013. 2 adults, 2 kids. The 1 bedroom was perfect. We had an ocean view on a high floor and the view was amazing. The walk to the beach wasn't very far at all.
Make sure to rent your snorkel gear, boogie boards etc in the hotel- way cheaper than on the beach!! The pool area was shaded and windy, so didn't use. But why would you when you have the ocean. Waikiki beach is beautiful. Make sure to plan on being on the beach in the morning, as the afternoons were more crowded. The hotel is for sure a little older and worn, but we weren't in it to make it matter much. We just loved having so much room!!

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ocean view on a high floor!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Amandatravel1987

Thank you for comments on your recent stay with us. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the rooms and the awesome ocean view on the high floor. It seems you really made the most of your vacation at the beach, which is one of the reasons people visit Hawaii.
Thank you again for your great review and we hope to see you back real soon!!!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed here with my 2 and 4 year old daughters for a week ending on the 2nd Jan 2014 in room 1513. Our room was right at the end of the corridor next to a room which housed the guest laundry and some other equipment (Air conditioning maybe). The laundry was open to guests from 7:00am-10:00pm and was usually busy for most of that time during this busy period, the drier in the laundry made a loud vibrating noise which was quite loud throughout our room. And the large industrial equipment in the laundry room created a loud hum in the main bedroom 24/7.

The lifts can be quite slow during busy periods, we did experience waits of 10 mins on a couple of occasions trying to get down to street level after having to let very full lifts go.

On the two occasions I had to deal with staff I found them to be quite rude and unhelpful. On the first occasion was to ask about wifi to which I was told it should have been explained to me at check in and to check my documentation, (I'm sorry to have put you out but my wife checked in while I was trying to settle my two kids after a 10 hour flight, customs and an airport transfer so I wasn't at the desk during check in). The second occasion was when I forgot to load my stroller into the car and drove off from the pick up/set down area out the front (yes the kids where in the car), when I reached our destination about an hour later and realized my mistake I rang the hotel and explained the situation and asked if the stroller had been collected/handed in to hotel staff, the response I got was a talking down to for using that area to load my family and told I'm not allowed to leave anything in that area, I then asked to speak to the hotel security guard as he was outside when I was loading the car and I was told he wasn't available, no further assistance was offered by the person on the phone. I rang back 5 mins later and spoke to a different person who was very pleasant and informed me the security guard did collect the stroller and it was waiting for my collection.

The free wifi was slow, kept dropping out and was generally unreliable.

We got a bill for at the end of our stay which included a $15 a night "Amenity Fee". We where told this is normal and charged by all hotels in the area. This was our first trip to Hawaii so I don't know if this is true or not.

Our room was generally clean and well kept. All fixtures/amenities where in working order. Most of our windows had a good view of diamond head and the residential area directly behind Waikiki.

I have deliberately left out comments about the hotel amenities such as pool, gym, e.t.c as we did not use any of these.

Room Tip: If you get a room near the laundry asked to be moved, you will get a better night sleep and wont be...
3  Thank Con G

Aloha,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. I would like to begin by apologizing for the way the staff handled the situation with the wifi and with your baby stroller. I will present these items to my Guest Service Manager to work with the staff to deliver better service.
The period of your stay was a busy period for the hotel, which explains the laundry usage, slow elevators and at times the wifi. I do apologize for the inconveniences experienced.
As for the amenity fee, it is a mandatory fee for guests. Its a program in its 3rd year and have been shared to all of our travel agents. I do apologize if the amenity fee was not disclosed by your travel agent when booking your vacation.
I want to Thank you for complimenting our clean rooms and our great views.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our family of 14 stayed at the aston from the 21st to the 28th of December. We really enjoyed our stay . The condo had nearly everything we need. My mum and dad's unit didn't have a oven and none of our units had a dishwasher, which is needed when you have so many people. Also the pool in the afternoon had no sun and very windy. Some staff were not that friendly at the mart and the activities centre

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Aust121965
SUNgm808, Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

We're happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. Unfortunately, our units don't have dishwashers, which tells me you enjoyed having a kitchen in the unit, which is Great!!! I do apologize for the negative experience at the mart and the acitivity desk.
Thank you for your great comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Mahalo!!!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Our family chose to stay in three different rooms during our week in Honolulu. The location could not be beat! Very close to the beach, shopping, and restaurants. We could not have made a better choice! The kitchen was well - supplied. The rooms were perfect for what we needed. We would stay there again if we travel to Honolulu!

3  Thank Sipe5

Aloha and Thank you for providing your comments on your recent stay with us. We're happy to hear our location and our room amenities accommodated your vacation needs.
We look forward to seeing you again at the Aston Waikiki Sunset, should your plans find you in Waikiki.