“Good Basic Stay”

Aston Waikiki Sunset
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Nothing special about this hotel but it is a good basic clean safe place to stay. Location back from beach and main shopping area but easy walk to both. It has all the services but nothing extra special. Good value. No dining or coffee shop but close to lots of options and good kitchen set up so you have the option to eat in. Food Pantry is a couple of blocks away and has everything that is need for self catering. Did not see a fitness center but with the weather who would want to be inside. Also no room service.

Room Tip: Upper floors are better if you don't mind the elevator wait.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
wcvgm808, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your time spent with us. We do not have a fitness center on property but our front desk can arrange time for you at 24 hour fitness which is approximately a 5 minute walk from the property. Mahalo for chosing Aston Hotels and Resorts.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed before and after cruise. My sisters stayed in another room. My hubby and I got military rates, they got senior rates. They got a box of chocolates both times and a semi view of the ocean. We got a view of the tennis courts. So much for honoring our military. The cost was the same and they had more people in their room. No restroom off the lobby while you wait. Yeah, if I ever come again, I'd look somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ada11s
wcvgm808, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for sharing your expereince regarding your recent stay. Our advertised senior rates have an automatic upgrade and amenity as part of the package that your sisters purchased. The property is and has been sold out for the past 3 weeks which is probably why you were not offered an upgrade and I am sure it had nothing to do with being or having a millitary rate or I.D. Just for your information, there are lobby restrooms available for guest use behind the front desk. The front desk can issue you a key or your room key card will allow entry into them. Mahalo!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just spent 4 nights at the Waikiki Sunset, the location is quite good - about a 5 min walk to the beach or main road with shops & restaurants. Nice outside pool but was in the shade in the afternoon. The staff were friendly & helpful but seemed to be overworked & under-staffed. Our room wasn't ready at 3:00 when we checked in & some staff commented (more than once) that they needed more help. The building is getting older & could do with a make over, In saying that it was clean and comfortable & reasonable value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know of your experience during your stay with us. We are working with our Condominium Assocation on a lobby and public area renovation project that we hope to begin shortly. Mahalo for choosing Aston Hotels and Resorts.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely 7 day stay at Aston Waikiki. Staff very pleasant, helpful, but room had carpet that needed updating. We had noticed an odor in the room the first night, could not pinpoint where it arose from after closing windows due to heat and not wanting to waste A/C. Unfortunately had to use a whole bottle of Febreeze the week we stayed. Room 3714 lovely views but really could use updating. Bedside dresser drawers would never stay closed since floor was not level, and am surprised that nobody addressed this problem before. I put pieces of cardboard under the feet. Had a cable wire that was cut due to renovations but maintenance was excellent at addressing this issue. Notified them of the odor, and they arranged for carpet cleaning. Unfortunately this did not help. Not sure after our 7 day stay what the problem was. We did get compensation for one night due to this unpleasant odor. Could be the ventilation system or something else. Used washer/dryer on 37th floor. Washer ok but dryer had been unplugged and I cleaned the lint filter to find it full of construction dust. The dryer did work but made a great noise. Not sure that the clothes were really clean after that. I would have considered another hotel but for the location and convenience and lack of other available housing, this worked out ok. We needed a kitchen due to the kids' food allergies.

Room Tip: Great views of Diamond Head and Ocean on high floor.
1  Thank giselle888

Thank you for providing us with your comments on your recent stay. We are pleased that our staff were able to assist you with all your needs. We do take your comments seriously and both our housekeeping and maintenance staff have addressed these issues with their personnel. We have also forwarded your comments on the washer and dryer to our Condominium Association office for their follow up. Mahalo!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 8 nights with 3 kids who are 6,3 and 2 and found it good value for money. Only a short walk to the beach and easily accessible to public transportation. Great to have a kitchen with microwave, huge oven, big fridge, stovetop and large range of utensils for when you want to eat in. Various parts of the hotel could do with a facelift, but this wasn't a concern for us. Only downside was that the lifts were quite slow and in busy periods, you could be waiting a while to go up and down. Kids enjoyed the pool and was very handy having a small mini mart in the hotel that was open til late. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know of your expereinces during your recent stay with us. We are please to see that you and your family enjoyed themselves and we do hope to have you back with us in the future. Mahalo for choosing Aston Hotels and Resorts.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Like others we had 5 people to accommodate so the set up wasn't bad. On the positive, the room was reasonably spacious and it was good to have the kitchen set up. Our kids made good use of the pool and tennis court and the convenience store was an added bonus. While the reception area was dated we found the room more modern and enjoyed having the tv in the bedroom as well. The laundry was next to our room although the washing machine was out of order...I wonder if it is working yet???the number of lifts is inadequate for the number of rooms and I think there should be a dedicated lift for housekeeping and maintenance. I also think it would be more useful to have pool towels on the same level as the pool although in most cases we were taking them to the beach so not such a problem. Very noisy airconditioner and lots of street noise......The resort fee is a bit of a scam but it is probably reflective of what goes on in Waikiki generally..overall not bad for the dollars but would be likely to try something else if we returned..FYI to all travellers ......lots of homeless people everywhere which was quite disconcerting...

1  Thank Megan P

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. We are working with our Condominium Assocation on a lobby and public area renovation project which we hope to begin soon. We have also forwarded your comments on the washer to the Associaton for their follow up. As Aston Hotels does not manage the common public areas including the pool, we have had to find alternatives for providing our guests services such as pool towels and have had to work within the logistics of the property and the availablity of space provided to us. Mahalo!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked this hotel because it is one of the few that allowed us to have a family of 5 without paying for an additional room and because this is a true condo and we wanted a kitchen

The Good
They upgraded us to ocean view on 30th floor, which was really nice
Since we had 5, the bedroom had a double, and a twin, the main room had a sofa. It wasn't romantic, it wasn't spacious but it definitely worked
Beds were comfy,even the teens thought the pull out was supportive, no complaining.
The condo was very clean (which will be important to consider when read the not so good)
The rooms were typical Hawaii rattan style decor, our furnishings were not sleek (but they were not run down in anyway, which I had red concerns about from other reviews). Layout comfortably accommodated us whenever we were here.
The a/c rocked, which was really important because it got HOT while we were here
The location was super. We could walk to the beach, not too far to make the little one walk. We could walk to all shops and good dining.
They will store your luggage at no cost if you arrive early or must leave late and they have a guest service floor on the 6th floor that you can shower and relax and hang out if you have a weird schedule.
The staff were nice and courteous
Housekeeping was very good and super fast with requests for linens, etc
The parking was tight but ample. They have a reasonable $15 a day few for in and out as much as you like.

The Not So Good
There is a lot of traffic noise, even 30 ft up and you can hear something ringing frequently, super high pitch. You are definitely in the heart of Waikiki noise. Doesn't really affect my party, we are sleepers but would probably drive some people nuts
There is no dishwasher. We really used the kitchen so a dishwasher would have been super, super nice
We did have a cockroach in the cupboard. They don't freak me out. I think apartment living and humid clients mean they are to be expected. The hotel was quick to come and treat for it. I'm sharing so you know to seal your food. I was disappointed to the hotel could not provide any ziplock when we discovered this
I did not see a single mosquito although people tell me they are here. Someone in our group woke up with bites every morning. I'm not saying it's something in the room, but I'm not saying it's not. Could happen in any hotel, like I said, rooms are kept very clean and nothing was run down in our experience.
The pool towel situation, given the elevator situation is stupid. They management should put the towels on the same floor as the pool and in the lobby for GUEST CONVENIENCE. Current set up is you have to go to one floor of housekeeping and turn in and pick up towels. Another floor for the pool. And if you take towels to the beach they towel people close before dark
If you ask for the late check out, they tell you that you can do something called a half day, if available, on the day of departure. To me, a half day mean half of a day, 24 hrs or maybe even half of a daylight day. But to them, because of housekeeping it means 3pm AND those three hours will cost you $70. So pretty much plan that there is no late check out. Disappointing no one pointed that out before the mornings of since I'd asked about the set up twice before to confirm
The pool kind of sucks. It's completely covered over in the afternoon with shade from the building. We found it cold, overcrowded, shallow. They kids were disappointed and my kids have no pool at home and love to swim.
They charge amenities fee which is stupid. It's supposed to include movies at a free kiosk but I'm sure people don't care about returning them because they are free so it was almost always empty. They say it includes a video game console which we could never use because there were never any games in the machine. And other than that it includes a newspaper which we don't read anymore cause everyone had a tablet. I think it is just a junk fee and I don't like junk fees

Overall it's a toss up if I'd stay here again, especially since the room was a free upgrade, I think I would have been really disappointed if I only got the standard room and again, my choices were limited by this being one of the only properties that allowed a 5th person. You'll have to decide for yourself what is important to you. And it's Hawaii so I told the kids, they get to enjoy the same island as people who paid a lot more for their room.

Hotel I really liked where we were walking around and might be worth the high price tag was Sheraton Waikiki, if I was going to really live it up. Had an amazing pool in front of the ocean.... But not a lot of beach space but inside was like a Vegas casino with everything you want and need inside the hotel. It was very lovely inside and had a peets coffee. However, if I was here without teens I would recommend staying in northshore in summer. There was the very best snorkeling there at sharks cove of any we saw and it was free. The vibe is much more laid back. Turtle bay resort was really nice and chill we enjoyed their public beach. A week in Oahu was just about right. Enjoy your time.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bonstrr

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your comments on your recent stay. While we understand your frustration on some of the logistics of what is available and where, Aston Hotels does not have operational rights in the common and public areas including the pool, which fall under the responsibility of the Condominium Association. We therefore have had to find alternate areas to try and offer our services to our guests, such as pool towels, etc.

The Aston Waikiki Sunset is a conodminium property offering one bedrroom units with full kitchens while the Sheraton Waikiki is a full service hotel with standard guest rooms and bath. The difference would be based on personal preference. Mahalo!