“Excellent family hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Aston Waikiki Sunset
Calgary
“Excellent family hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Right from our late night/early morning check in, to our check out we found the staff to be extremely helpful. We were immediately supplied with a fold out cot, free of charge. Upon opening the door our room was clean, and beautifully renovated. Was nice and spacious and our lanai (balcony) was clean, with a beautiful view of Diamond Head. Was lovely to sit out there and have an early morning coffee listening to the animals at the zoo. The maid service was excellent and we found our room well cleaned, beds made, and a supply of Kona coffee was well stocked.
The guy who books your day trips was really good, and supplied us with alot of information on trips that are available.
Excellent value for your holiday dollar.
We had a noon book out and they stored our luggage for us in a locked room until we were picked up. They also gave us full use of the 6th floor while we were waiting, which we really appreciated.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and could see some of the ocean, if you need more of a view you have to go...
2 Thank jarsobean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Korean first
Chelan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms very nicely equipped and we loved having coffee on the balcony looking at the stunning view and hearing the elephants and lions waking up!
we were able to keep my daughters beach wheel chair at the reception counter which was great for the sand and water. Location was very convenient.

Miranda, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Aston Waikiki is an excellent Hotel and very close to the beach, my family stayed here for a week to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday and we were pleasantly surprised by the friendliness, helpfulness, cleanliness, value for money and location. We stayed at the Hyatt place after this for a few days and although the Hyatt had been renovated the service that we received at the Aston Sunset was absolutely outstanding.This hotel is a Goldmine as it is such fantastic value for money and close to everything, we enjoyed walking and discovering restaurants, shops, ice cream parlors and the 35 ABC stores in Waikiki we really enjoyed finding our presents and souvenirs in them. This hotel has it all it is close to the Zoo which is amazing !We have stayed in places right on the Waikiki ocean front and we actually liked being one block off the beach this time. It was easy to get away from the crowded beach area when checking out the rest of the island. We were very pleased and would most certainly stay here again It is close enough to all the busier part of Waikiki without all the noise and hustle and bustle and being off the main street is a bonus as it is nice and quiet when you get back to the Hotel, which you don't get if you stay at the Hotels on the main street. The size of the room is excellent with the fully functional kitchen and fridge with dishwasher made it a home away from home feel rather than a Hotel feel, which made my family very comfortable.The hotel has a nice convenience store on the fifth floor, laundry on every floor, direct access to the parking deck and a pretty cool outdoor patio with pool, tennis courts, grills and a very nice view of Diamond Head. Also a workout room and computer area near the patio entrance. You can have dinner, drinks, breakfast or lunch at all of them as they all welcome you, which is fantastic. Stay at the Aston Waikiki sunset and save money to spend enjoying your holiday or shopping !!!

Room Tip: The view from the higher floors is amazing, especially at night. It is a very short walk to beach an...
2 Thank Len D
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Aloha Len D,

Mahalo for all the great comments regarding your stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our service, location, accommodations, and value.

We take great pride in exceeding our guests expectations and I appreciate you sharing this with us and our readers.

Mahalo for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .

Lake Goodwin, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for a family vacation--my mother-in-law booked it all. While the outside of the building isn't veryimpressive, the rooms are spacious and clean. The was a full kitchen--great for families on a budget--and a separate bedroom. The staff was very friendly and the concierge was helpful (I didn't speak to him but my sister-in-law did). The only draw back is they are painting the outside of the building so the pool was closed off for a good part of the day. We did use the BBQ at night and we saw the grills (and pool) being cleaned every morning. The hotel is located just blocks from the beach, and while we didn't have an ocean view, we did get to see the sun rise over Diamond Head every morning from our lanai.

1 Thank Kristin G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel/condo rental I booked for 12 nights as a base-camp for my day trips to other parts of Oahu for my vacation. I found the location, parking and views a great overall value and experience as a guest a good reason to come back on my next trip. The location was very convenient-- for driving, I had quick access to the H1, etc. and a lot of the great restaraunts on Kapahula and a two block walk to the beach and all of the Waikiki restaraunts, shopping, etc. starting on the far end of Kalakaua starting by the Zoo area. Like a lot of components related to staying in Waikiki, it all depends on what works for you; for me, it was about ease of parking for my car rental, walking distance to Queen's beach side of Waikiki and Diamond Head Road up to the lighthouse; close enough to the action but not too close as to be overwhelmed. The size of the room, the lanai with Diamond Head views and the full kitchen are what stood out most in terms of my pleasant experience here; some of the common areas are a bit dated and due for an upgrade. Being off the main strip, though, I think makes more sense especially if you are going to do other things besides enjoy the hustle-n-bustle of the strip.

Room Tip: Parking pass was included in the condo rental so I had no expense for parking.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Evhlarox
Aloha Evhlarox,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us and I'm very happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Yes, we have a very convenient location for walking around Waikiki as well as getting in and out of Waikiki with a car. We're in the quiet part of Waikiki and away from the hustle & bustle of the main strip.

Mahalo for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I got a crazy good discount on our stay because of a "Under Construction" sale. I didn't know what to expect, so we had low expectations. When we arrived we found the location, parking and property condition to be outstanding, much better than expected. When we got off the elevator we thought the corridors seemed quit drape, then we opened our door and were shocked and surprised. The room was very nice. We stayed in a suite on the seventh floor overlooking the patio/pool area. The view was not the best but it was better than we thought we would get. So anyway, the bed was comfy the pillows not so good and amenities average... but again, besides the pillows, better than expected and we did find better pillows in the closet a few days later. The kitchen was very nice and the entire room was clean and up to date. The hotel has a nice convenience store on the fifth floor, laundry on every floor, direct access to the parking deck and a pretty cool outdoor patio with pool, tennis courts, grills and a very nice view of Diamond Head. Also a workout room and computer area near the patio entrance. The staff was very nice and we didn't even notice the cleaning staff but we did notice what a great job they did, A huge plus in our book. I can't say much about value because we don't know the standard rates. The price we paid was so low that even with the air fare from the east coast, the trip cost less than going to the Jersey shore for one week. We have stayed in places right on the Waikiki ocean front and we actually liked being one block off the beach this time. It was easy to get away from the crowded beach area when checking out the rest of the island. We were very pleased and would most certainly stay here again. Oh and that $10.00 a night fee... It was expected and well worth it :)

Room Tip: Remember your not at this hotel for a view. If you want a view walk one block and look at the ocean...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DJphoto
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Aloha DJphoto,

Even without the discount our accommodations provides great value to our guests. With our full kitchen you can save a great deal of money by cooking just one meal a day in your room. Plus, when you go out to dinner and have leftovers, you can bring it back to your room and eat it the next day. You can't do that in a typical hotel room. We don't have an extra person charge, so the rate is the same for up to 5 people in a one bedroom and 6 people in a two bedroom as long as you use the existing bedding accommodations.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until then, Mahalo and. . . .

ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed one week and very satisfied with this hotel. Jen at front desk helped us tremendously! We forgot to bring stroller for my 21-month old daughter. we went to walmart planning to buy a cheap one. but all the cheap ones are out of stock. I asked Jen if the hotel has any to rent to the guests. Surprisingly she said they have two! I can choose any one of them for free. Gosh that saved our trip. Otherwise we can't go anywhere! Jen also helped me changing to another room after a false smoker detector alarm. I was okay with it, but my dad insists on changing room. it was 11pm when i called Jen. She quickly found a room for us. I can't say enough "thank you" to her!

About the hotel, when you arrive there, you know that it's much better than the online photos!. it's clean and spaceous. our 33 floor mountain view is fantastic! it's so convinient that my 65ish parents and 21-month toddler goes to beach everyday. The amencities in the kicthen are great. Anything you need, they have it. they even have a rice cooker. Afterall, we are very very saitisfied with Aston waikiki sunset. we will definately recommend to other people

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Jin Y,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your stay with us and especially for your kind words about Jen. I will be sure to share your comments with her. I'm sorry to hear about the smoke detector, but I'm happy to hear that Jen was able to assist you with it.

Yes, the view from our mountain view rooms are fantastic and this happens to be my favorite category. The view is beautiful during the day, and even more so at night with the sparkling lights.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .