“Renovation / balcony access question”

Aston Waikiki Sunset
texas
“Renovation / balcony access question”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Dear General Manager (Doug),
I'm planning to stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset 1-BR condo around Aug. 4-11th, 2012 for a week. I notice that you have some sort of construction going on at this site. I wonder if I can get a top floor room with either ocean view or mountain view with access to outside balcony? And how would I request this during the booking and will my request be fulfilled?

Also what other compatible Aston (no-construction) resorts that can accommodate 5 people: 2 adults, 3 children (ages 10-17).

Thank you.
Vu

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dzungy
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Aloha dzungy,

Mahalo for your interest in staying with us during your visit to our beautiful island. During the dates of your stay the work area will be on the opposite side of the building so all of our ocean view units as well as all units on the ocean side, will have full access to the lanai. As added information, our ocean view rooms are between floors 25 - 37.

Please be advised that due to the exterior enhancement project, during this period our pool will be closed M - F from 9 am - 4:30 pm and open from 4:30 pm - 9 pm, and open all day on Saturday and Sunday. The tennis court and BBQ area will be closed at all times.

You're welcome to email me direct at doug.okada@astonhotels.com, and I would be more than happy to personally take care of your reservation.

Mahalo again for your interest and I hope we'll have the pleasure of accommodating you and your family during your visit. Until then, Mahalo and. . . .

Doug Okada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This hotel was an excellent choice for us. We wanted to stay in Waikiki. We have a family of 5 and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a good value. Aston Waikiki Sunset really filled the bill. We were just a few blocks off beachfront, but could see the ocean from one of our rooms and diamondhead from the other (2 separate stays in April) --- We had 2 standard rooms for our first stay and a 2-bedroom suite for our second. Both setups had kitchenettes and a living room for each room, a definite plus to save some money on food in Waikiki. (There is an ABC convenience store with extended hours within a block or so.) While the hallways could use a little spiffing-up (new carpet and/or wall treatment), the rooms were comfortable and clean. The kitchenette/living room/balcony arrangement made this a great living space for our family of 5 (3 teens.) The tour companies pick-up and drops off from the lobby and it was an easy walk to Waikiki Beach. There is a pool deck and you can checkout beach towels from the laundry. There is an on-site tour reservation desk and a convenience store, but no restaurant. I think this is a great lodging option for a family in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2-bedroom suite. Higher floors and either ocean-view are pretty neat too.
1 Thank Mary B
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Aloha Mary B,

Mahalo for your patronage to the Aston Waikiki Sunset. This is great testimony that we're doing it right and we appreciate that very much. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you found great value in our accommodations.

Prince Rupert
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from April 7-15, our stay was great for a family of four, our children are 10 and 12. The hotel room was perfect with the kitchenette and the extra bedroom by itself. The rooms were big and didn't feel cramped, when I booked, it stated that renovations were been done on the hotel, so it wasn't a surprise. We were right across from the elevators and didn't hear any noise at all, our room was clean and bright and we would definitely stay here again. This hotel was very clean throughout, nice pool area and the staff was always friendly and helpful. Great location, wasn't busy and noisy and the pool area wasn't too crowded that you couldn't get a chair, everytime we needed to BBQ there was no wait, BBQ's were clean and well kept. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel except they should include the amenity fee in the cost of the booking, we would stay here again!!

1 Thank SelinaPrinceRupert
Aloha SelinaPrinceRupert,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our accommdations and facilities. Yes, the Aston Waikiki Sunset is ideal for families and with the kitchen you can save a ton of money by eating a meal or two in your room.

I'm also happy to hear that our exterior enhancement project didn't inconvenience you in any way. We do our very best to place our guests away from the work area and we've been getting a lot of positive feedback about it.

Jackson, MI
Reviewed April 15, 2012

It is hard to categorize this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the beds were nice, the kitchen was fully equipped with a full size refrigerator, a full stove, microwave, toaster, crockpot, pots and pans, dishes for about 8 people, mugs, coffee and the whole nine yards. There was no additional charge for the use of the in-room safe. The two bedroom unit had a nice view of a schoolyard and Diamond Head. If you are in the top half of the hotel, you are high enough to see the water if you are facing in the right direction. The beach is only about 5 minutes away by walking, and you really don't need a car here, as there are ABC stores everywhere and multiple dining establishments around.
On the other hand, they charge a $10 per room per night "resort fee", which seemed to be mostly unlimited use of their DVD library in the lobby and use of the game consoles in the rooms. We did have a smell in our room which we finally traced to the kitchen sink, but we could not see anything to cause the smell and it was too late in the evening to bother with changing rooms.
The construction did not bother us, but it did confuse the shuttle driver about where he should let us off at the curb.
I would stay here again, as it compares very favorably with the Comfort Inns that I am used to using.

2 Thank PaulInMichigan
Aloha PaulInMichigan,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, all of our kitchen comes fully equipped with most of the applicances, flatware, silverware, and cookware you find at home. You can cook a very elaborate meal with what we provide. For our readers information, if you need something that's not in the room, give our front desk or housekeeping a call and if we have it, we'll bring it up to your room.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo, and . . .

Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I've stayed at. It would be fine if we were 18 year old spring-breakers looking for a place to crash, but it is in no way a place to vacation at. The front of the hotel was under maintenance or construction so it was blocked by scaffolding (which is okay), however they also wrapped the scafolding with caution tape, which made the hotel look like a murder crime scene.

The first room we were taken to smelled like wet dog and fish. The view from one of the room overlooked an entire balcony of trash. I was very misguided by the reviews... After being moved, our second room smelled okay, but overall the quality of everything from the sofa to the bed covers were very poor. Our room was SO small the bed literally took up the entire space. You had to shimmy around the bed to get to the other side

The service was average at the front desk. However, I must say, the bell boy who helped us move the luggage was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately by the 2nd night of our 5 night stay, we ended up asking for a refund (through Costco, where we booked it) and moved to the Hilton.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better (better view)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank gwenguns
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Aloha gwenguns,

Mahalo for your candid comments regarding your recent stay with us and I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our hotel.

Yes, the contractor has erected a huge scafffolding at our front entrance with a lot of yellow tape, but as you can guess, it's there to bring attention to the scaffolding so no one walks into it.

I can't figure out what room you stayed in so if you can, please email me to let me know so I can looked into it.

Again, my apology for your disappointment and I hope the remainder of your visit to our beautiful island was an enjoyable one.

Tokyo
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I was at the Aston Waikiki Sunset again from 3/26 to 3/31/12. I was in a Mountain View one bedroom suite on the 30th floor. Beautiful view. They keep on renovating and upgrading the building, so the entrance looked a mess but wasn't a mess just blocked off in places for guests' safety. There was slight noise during the day now and then because of the work, but I was also able to nap without being disturbed just by keeping the doors to the lanai closed, so it wasn't that noisy. The rooms were great, as always, not baroque elegance, but clean, in good repair, comfortable, homey. To me that's perfect for a holiday in Honolulu. I don't need gilt molding. Everything works. In particular, I appreciate being able to have complete control over the temperature in the room. Staff are unerringly friendly. The room safe had been left locked by the previous visitor and someone came lickity split to open it for me after I called the front desk. At this point, after many trips to Honolulu, I wouldn't even look at another hotel, unless someone came along with two free nights at the Royal Hawaiian for me -- not likely. I really enjoy staying at the Sunset.

Room Tip: I love the mountain views. You can see the ocean any time of day from virtually anywhere in Waikiki...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank namlerf
Aloha Namlerf,

Mahalo for your patronage to the Aston Waikiki Sunset and for your great comments on your recent stay with us. The mountain view category is my personal favorite as well, especially at night with all of the lights shining on the mountain side.

I'm also happy to hear that the exterior enhancement project wasn't an inconvenience to you. We do our very best to place our guests in rooms away from the work area and we have been getting a lot of positive feedback about it.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo and . . .

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Our family spent 10 days in the Waikiki Sunset. We found the one bedroom very spacious, noticeably larger than the rooms in the Banyan and with a real door to the bedroom that actually shuts and locks (unlike the Banyan). We were fortunate to be on the ocean facing side on the 37th floor. The views were spectacular.
The Sunset is across the street from the Banyan, very near the new Hyatt Place, a short walk from the zoo. We really prefer the quieter Diamond Head side of Waikiki and for us, this location is ideal.
Just two negative points worth mentioning. First, the exterior is being renovated. We weren't able to use the Lanai. Second, the beach near the Sunset is being renovated for the next month or so. But neither of these were much of a problem for us.
The internet, like at many hotels, was both expensive (part of the $10 a day resort fee) and very slow.
But the staff were all great, the facilities good, and the room one of the best we've stayed in in Waikiki. Doesn't quite measure up to the Waikiki Beach Tower, but for half the price is still a great place that we are almost certain to come back to.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing the beach cost more but worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank odd3
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Aloha odd3,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations, service and location. I'm happy to hear that the exterior enhancement and the beach project was not an issue for you.

I greatly appreciate your comment about our room. We're very proud of our new look and we've received many compliments about them. Yes, we don't exactly compare with our sister property, the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower, but as you mentioned, neither does our rate.

I'm happy to report that we're working on getting WiFi for our guest rooms which should greatly enhance the speed and service. As I get more information I'll be sure to share it with our readers.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo and. . . .