“Good budget hotel with a GREAT view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel

Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Good budget hotel with a GREAT view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for a week over Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. I did'nt mind the 'drive thru' type lobby style at all although it did make communication a bit difficult. The rooms are smallish but not overly so , and they have all you need ;fridge ,safe , tv ,closet, coffee-maker etc. Any qualms about the room however are completely nullified by the location and view from the balcony. We stayed in room 305 [only the '05' rooms are fully water frontage] and , whilst a little miffed we did'nt get a higher floor as we booked 7 months in advance , virtually ALL our time in the room was spent soaking in the rays and the view.

My only real negatives about the hotel is the daily $10 Vegas style 'resort fee' that is charged that covers things like Playstation , DVD rentals and such - things that are fine for a family but un-used and un-touched by your typical couple - it just seemed like a blatant money grab. Also the shower is tiny and if you don't be precisely careful how you arrange the shower curtain - you will end up water all over the bathroom floor.

If price is a concern yet you still want LOCATION and OCEAN-FRONT views then you will un-likely find any better than the Aston Waikiki Circle and we will almost certainly [barring a lottery win] stay here on our next trip.

Room Tip: Only the '05' Rooms are fully water fronted. In future I would ask for rooms starting from 5...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tyler, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel for our first trip to Honolulu as we wanted to be right on the beach, but also didn't have the budget for the Outrigger style hotels. This hotel is right in the middle of the action, we found the location to be perfect as most tourist attractions pick up at the corner right next door. The reception desk is a drive thru window style setup right before the elevator. The room had an awkward layout, no doubt due to the circular design of the building. They don't offer single bed rooms, so we had a double bed room which made the room feel cramped as walking space was limited. The bathroom was small and the shower doesn't give you hardly any room to move.

They do have a refrigerator in the room as well as a desk and closet area. There is a TV and PS2 gaming system which can be used to play the games or DVDs which can be checked out at the reception desk. WiFi is a little spotty, but free none the less. They do not have microwaves in the rooms, this was something that I didn't expect. I have never had to look at the amenities listed on a hotel website to verify that a microwave is available, but I will start now... Since there was no microwave you had to basically eat out every meal or eat chilled products. The halls and elevators are not climate controlled and seem musky and hot at all times.

Summary:
Decent price for a decent hotel. Read through the hotel website and make sure that they have all the things you want. We were disappointed to find no microwave, but checked the website to find that was our fault as one was not listed. Location is good, but rooms are small and provide an awkward layout. The beds were average as well, they weren't the worst beds, but they weren't bad either. Housekeeping is incredible, they come by at all hours of the day to clean, if you end up sleeping until 2pm, that is fine, just drop the door hanger out that says cleaning needed whenever you go out and they normally will have finished within an hour or two.

Room Tip: Choose the full ocean view if you don't want to look at AC units and dumpster holding areas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kwandrews7
Del Valle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am a travel nanny so I was on business with a client and their hotel next door Aston Waikiki Tower which is gorgeous was booked so I was given a room here as it is right next door. I really not sure why what I experienced makes me feel that this place barely rates an average when so many seem to like it. When I priced it for our time frame it was averaging $145 a night for a city view and about $180 for an ocean view. May others got such a great deal that this place was okay.

Pros: Great Location. Yes it is a noisy busy tourisy part of Waikiki but it is nice to walk out and just be where all the action is in the am or evening.

Very nice staff and housekeeping. Reception does remind you of a drive thru window but the folks are nice and helpful.

Cons: Rooms are very small. The city view room I had looked over the air conditioners and faced the hotel behind me. You felt you had to keep your curtains closed and that made the room very dark as the lights are not bright. Granted, it is a circle hotel so that wedge room doesn't allow much room for walking.

Pros: Saving grace on this small room is there is this tiny little L shape at the end where there is a desk so you can set up your computer. If you can use cable plug for your computer, it is free.

Cons: Noisy area and the wind was something else the two days there. My breeze door literally rattled so much at night I was afraid it would fall off! Even if you didn't want the air conditioner on, you had to have it on to drown out the noise.

I can handle small bathrooms, no problem. But the tub would not hold water and I bathe the kids in my room sometimes and we had to stuff wash clothes around the drain to hold water.

I rate it average because of the location. Bed comfort is okay but pillows were lumpy and uncomfortable but then I have a thing for needing decent pillows. For a lot of folks this is minor.

I am coming back to Honolulu with my husband in February and when trying to find a budget but decent hotel, when this one would come up on the sites, the price was usually around $145 and to be honest, not worth it to me. Maybe the ocean rooms would be brighter and more appealing but not for the price offered,.

I feel like I am the only one here that felt it was like a Motel 6! Despite the great location, I really would not choose to stay here by choice.

Room Tip: If you are determined to stay here, get an ocean view as I walked into one of those and it seemed mu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank familytraveler36
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My friend and i are in our early 20's, and we chose to stay at the hotel as we were looking for a hotel stay on a budget and this was recommended to us by an older couple. When i initially got to the hotel i freaked out a little bit because the hotel "lobby" is nothing more than a desk enclosed with security screening in an otherwise open/outdoor area. We arrived early and they gave us the option of taking a room on the third floor, or come back later and go on the tenth (both city view). We chose the latter based on trip advisor views, and we were glad about this decision.
We stayed for two weeks and during this time we found the staff lovely and extremely accommodating, especially given we were probably a little bit noisier than the older couples that make up their usual clientele. Of particular mention is our maid, and also the night watchman (an iranian man). Sorry i cannot remember either of your names!
In terms of the room i loved the colourful atmosphere and compared to other hotels "standard rooms" I found the room to be quite reasonably sized, and my friend and i were never pressed for room. I can see how it might be difficult though if you had more than one child, or anyone older than pre-school age.
The only downside of the hotel is probably the size of the shower and the low water pressure. The air conditioner i found to be not too noisy, and it was incredibly efficient meaning we rarely had to have it on. As for the lack of the lobby/porter/pool: you get what you pay for. Don't expect such luxuries for such a cheap price (it cost us $1800 for two weeks). Besides, with the beach literally across the road you don't need a pool.
I have also stayed with my family at the sheraton princess kaiulani before, and i can assure you these rooms were a lot nicer and cleaner, beds a lot more comfy, and the air-conditioning a lot more efficient.
Would i go back to the circle again? Absolutely. Would i recommend it to others? Book now!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zebrafish_GFP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

First impressions are lasting impressions... service provided by Naomi at front desk was flawless followed by John and Guy who also served me. This Hotel welcomes you with Hawaiian warmth and a sense of family. Location, Location and a hop and a skip to the beach, transport is literally at your doorstep,,, not to mention ABC stores.. blink they are everywhere! The rooms are smallish but i was really never in my room but to sleep, shower and drop my bags and bags of shopping. Housekeeping was efficient and i felt safe at all times staying there. The decor of the rooms were clean and made you feel at home. Lets talk views... i had Partial Sea views and was in awe of the ocean and the city views. I loved my stay at the Circle and my 50 th Birthday in Hawaii was MAGICAL. Mahalo!

Room Tip: Higher level for the VIEWS!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chocolatebiscuits229
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The location of this hotel it absolutely perfect. You are close to all the shops, night life restaurants and beach. The rooms were clean and functional. The hotel staff were always very helpful and friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: the higher up the better!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jazzzzzz
big island hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The room was very clean, smelled fresh, the beds were nice, pillows a little flat and hard but other than that not bad. Balcony looking at Waikiki beach, desk and chair, wifi, flat screen t.v, refrigerator, safe. The room was small but bright colors and amenities didn't make it seem too small. A bit noisy at night, being right on Kalakaua Blvd. but great location. Close to good restaurants and shopping. Restaurant in the lobby, ABC next door. Nice, friendly staff. Parking is limited. I'd stay again

Room Tip: I got the ocean view which did overlook Waikiki. They say all rooms have a view but I don't know...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo