“Best location for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Rafael, California
“Best location for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here two nights September 2012 before heading to rental cottage on North Shore. Originally made reservations online but then had to change dates via phone and the customer service guy was very nice. I asked about the difference between Oceanfront and Oceanview, as there was a price difference, and he said Oceanview would be fine-he was right, see the pic. Our rate was $159 per night for Sat and Sunday. There is no room service, and the in house restaurant is Eggs n Things- inexplicable line out the door all the time- I am sorry, but there is no way I am waiting in line for a hour for a $14 omelet or a waffle topped with canned whipped cream unless David Beckham is serving it with his shirt off.

Pluses: Location! Right across the street from the beach for this price is unbeatable. Clean room, decorated nicely. Beautiful view from 805. Coffee maker, old-school safe with key, world's fastest elevator, lanai, mini-frig for half-n-half and snacks, thick walls- did not hear a peep from neighbors or elevator. The usual flatscreen we never turned on.

Minuses: I am ok with there being two double beds, but not with both of them being the softest, most uncomfortable things I have ever slept on. If we had stayed more than two nights I would have had to sleep on the $2.99 water floaty mattress from the ABC store. If you have a bad back, beware. Even my husband, who can sleep anywhere, was hurting. Also, Waikiki is noisy. This is not the fault of the hotel but just be aware that you are in a city and you will hear a lot of street noise until the wee hours when you will finally hear the waves. I mean 3 am. The shower is the tiniest thing I have ever been in. About 2 x 3--maybe. Or 20 inches by 30. Constantly worried about losing safe key. $15 parking in tiniest garage (don't rent the full size sedan!) and $10 amenities fee- for wireless and safe, I guess.

Bottom line- if you are on a budget and have a good strong back, this is the perfect place. But I have to three star it because of the truly awful beds.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Launceston, Tasmania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

We have just spent 2 weeks at the Circle and could not have picked a better hotel! For starters the location right across from the beach is great and the price compared to others with similar locations is unbeatable. Check in was alright (not the hotels fault – we had an early arrival so no rooms ready), but they got us in as soon as possible which was appreciated.

Our room had amazing views, I highly recommend requesting a high level. We booked an ocean view room and it was worth it! Our room looked right down the beach to diamond head.

The room was small in size but fine for 2 people (any more might get squishy). The bathroom is really small!! But it’s a small sacrifice to make for the location. Everything in the room worked fine – TV, safe, WiFi, fridge etc. The only 2 minor complaints we had was lighting (there really does need to be a main light in the room as it gets quite dark at night) and the AC is quite noisy during the night and woke us a fair few times. The room was always cleaned immaculately and the maid was one of the most fantastic people we dealt with on our trip (level 13). She was always so happy and accommodating and always offering us extra towels etc on days we didn’t get our room serviced. All the staff were great though we wouldn’t have a single complaint! They were always happy and friendly 

The only restaurant is Eggs n Things at the bottom of the hotel. We didn’t eat there as the line was always ridiculously long. There are plenty of choices really close by so there is no problems getting food. We booked a few tours through the tour desk as well and the ladies there were really helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

The $10 daily resort fee gets newspaper, internet, beach towels, and dvd rentals. I don’t really understand these – I’d rather the nightly rate go up personally, but it seems to be a common thing in Waikiki (and possibly the US??).

Overall I would highly recommend the Circle (and already have!). Its great value for money and the staff make your stay the best they can.

Room Tip: The higher the better and pay for ocean view/front - you wont regret it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TeamTas10
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has been remodeled as noted on website. Excellent location with water front worth the price. We had 11th floor and although little weak kneed we love the view. Do not expect roomy accommodations, 2 people is tight. Shower is about
2 ftx2 ft. But within walking distance of all good spots on Waikiki.
Across from beach but with nothing in front of building feels like beach side. Hotel has on site restrurant but few other amenities but within the block so not a problem.

Stayed September 2012
SoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Unlike the last reviewer, We had a fantastic time at the Circle in October 2010! This was our second visit and I brought my mother for her first Hawaii vacation, and also my wife. We had requested two adjoining rooms on a high floor. This can be a tough request for any hotel, especially a smaller property. Well, they had us on the seventh floor, ocean front, two rooms right next to each other! Every interaction we had with the staff was top notch, we feel we are treated more like family here, much different then you would at any of the other mega-properties. Our rooms were exactly as the photos show! People need to start using their brains, do a little research and make intelligent choices! Every review on here says how small the rooms are, parking can be difficult, and the services are very limited! Bottom line....WE LOVE THE CIRCLE! And we are returning again this October....We cant wait!

Room Tip: Ocean Front rooms are incredible!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SecretServices
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I last stayed here 10 years ago and were sufficiently impressed to come back - and were very pleased to find that it had been recently renovated! We paid a bit extra for the Oceanfront rooms (3,4 or 5, with 4 being the best) on an upper floor, but it was well worth it. The rooms are relatively small (but still have 2 double beds, so not all that small) but well appointed and clean, and for a 180 degree view of Waikiki Beach from Diamond Head to beyond the Pink Palace, I think the room price is very cheap. The $10 daily resort fee gave us towels for the beach and free Wi-Fi, and we were very happy with that. You also receive an "Aston" discount coupon book. This time, we actually stayed for 2 lots of 2 nights each, with a week's cruise in between, and were very pleased when the Circle looked after 2 of our bags for the week we were away - without charge! The staff on the front desk were always helpful and very friendly, and always willing to go just that little bit extra, which makes your holiday memorable for all the right reasons. This is a really lovely hotel in a great central location,very convenient with outstanding views from the front rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for an Oceanfront room on an upper floor - Room 4 is the best, followed by 3 and 5, on floors 8...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Survey54
Corona del Mar, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel has THE WORST customer service I have ever experienced in a hotel- EVER. Hands down. EVER EVER EVER! Let me preface this by saying we stayed here in October of 2010 so things MAY have improved- I really hope they have. The circle hotel has a prime location- but when we stayed there- the photos of their hotel rooms online were not actually of their hotel. The pictures appeared to be of modest rooms, so we thought we'd try and save a few bucks. BAD IDEA!!! Upon checking into the dump of a hotel, we were shocked at how tacky and dirty the rooms were. When I called the front desk out on their photos online, they pointed to a brochure on the desk of the SAME photos, explaining that the rooms will look like that in the next couple of years when remodeling is complete. WHAT THE HECK? Deceitful marketing at the very least. We "upgraded" our rooms to an ocean view (which was really nice looking OUT), they charged us an additional $25 or so per night. I can't tell you how uncooperative the staff was and how grossly misrepresented the hotel was online. Honestly- the way it was back then was a hostel not a hotel. That would be an accurate feel for the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank rachelynn
CIRMNGR, Manager at Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
rachelynn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on your 2010 stay.

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience from two years ago, but you’ll be glad to know that our renovation was completed in May of 2011 and all of our rooms are now updated.

I’d love to welcome you back to our hotel so that you can see all of the improvements we’ve made. Please contact me for accommodations on your next trip to Hawaii.

Mahalo,

Andrew Graham
Rooms Division Manager
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel in late August. I booked it after doing some research and discovering the incredible room views/hotel location at very reasonable prices. We booked and I'm so happy we did.
The Waikiki Circle Hotel is very cute and beachy in a fantastic location. It's right across from Waikiki beach and close to many stores and restaurants. The lobby is an open air concept which we both found fun and inviting. All our interactions with the front desk were positive. They were all very helpful and friendly. We booked an ocean front room. Thanks to the tips of fellow reviewers on here, I requested a higher floor and a queen sized bed (instead of the doubles). I honestly didn't think we would get it but we did. We were put on the 12th floor and were given the queen bed. The room was exceptionally clean and modern. It's not too big but how much space do you really need?
The view was simply incredible. We had the most beautiful ocean view. Every night, we witnessed the most spectacular sunsets right on our balcony.

We were both very satisfied with our stay here. The only thing we don't really get is the $10 a day resort fee. I know almost all the hotels charge it. There wasn't really anything extra we were given besides free movie rentals, but the popular ones are always out anyway. I'm not putting this on the Circle Hotel. I just don't get this fee in general.

Otherwise, great stay! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Book an ocean front room. Ask for a higher floor and request a queen size bed if you're a couple...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple