“Perfect for what we wanted”

Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Ranked #39 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the start and the end of our 3 week honeymoon and found it perfect for us. If you are looking for 5 star accomodation then this isn't for you. But if you want clean rooms with great showers, friendly hotel reception staff, free beach towels and beach gear to borrow and right across from the beach then this is for you! You don't spend a lot of time in your room in Waikiki, but this was a great base to work from. It's brilliantly situated, all you need to do is cross the road to Waikiki Beach! We paid extra for the sea view when we stayed at the start of our trip and it was the as good a view from any part of Waikiki at a fraction of the cost of many of the other hotels. At the end of the stay we had a side room which was noisy due to the wind (the forecasts told us that winds were stronger than normal) which is why we have rated this hotel a 4 and not a 5. If we are ever lucky enough to return to Hawaii then we will definately be staying there again. Another review has said that Eggs n Things (restaurant under the hotel) isn't worth a visit but we would disagree. Yes, there are plastic plates and cutlery, but it's all part of the experience! You order before you get seated, then pay, then sit down, but we enjoyed it and the food is fresh and good - the pancakes are fresh and fluffy and the omelettes filled you up for the day. We had a wonderful time at this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a full sea view, it's worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RemusHowl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is fine if you're looking for something basic, but in comparison to others in a similar price bracket it's not great value. The rooms have two small doubles making the room feel very small and the bathrooms, while adequate, are tiny.

Our room was had a very partial sea view but faced directly to a neighboring hotel which made you feel very overlooked as it's so close. The only curtains are blackouts so unless you want to be watched by your neighbors your room is in darkness.

Air conditioning is so loud, you can't sleep with it on.

Finally, the breakfast restaurant down stairs - over rated!! Seems to be popular but i tried it. Paper plates, plastic knive and forks and over priced. Not my idea of a good breakfast, I would compare t to breakfast from a service station. There are much better places so don't waste your money.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Sar34_76
CIRMNGR, Manager at Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Aloha Sar34_76,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent stay in Honolulu.

I'd like to apologize for the problems experienced with your air conditioner. We are continually updating our older units, but sometimes a unit will start to fail during a guest's stay. We would appreciate if you would contact us with your room number to address the issue immediately.

Mahalo for taking the time to share your review with us!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The hotel is RIGHT across the beach. The view is beautiful. Hotel was very clean, staff was very nice.
Great places to eat nearby. Overall we has a great experience.

Room Tip: Get the Ocean View
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IRENA T
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights on a recent trip to Oahu. The best thing about this hotel is the view. Make sure to get an ocean view or oceanfront room. If you don't, there is no real reason to stay here. It's along the very busy Waikiki strip and there are people walking around all day and night. It can be somewhat noisy too. The room is small and the A/C was noisy. My husband and son also had a problem with the shower head only being as tall as their chins. The shower is very small. That being said, we did have a pleasant stay. I do need to mention, they gave us a coupon book which included Rabi Transportation. I arranged for them to pick us up the next morning for a ride to the airport. Rabi never showed up and hung up on me when I called, even though he agreed to pick us up. We then had to get a taxi and almost missed our flight. I would not recommend anyone use Rabi!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Deertwo
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for my first trip to Hawaii and I wasn't disappointed. If you're on a budget like me and are low maintenance then you will like this hotel. It locates next to the beach and also at center of Waikiki downtown area so you'll have access to many shopping stores and restaurants. Although it not luxurious compare to Hyatt or Hilton but for the price that I paid, I thought it was worth it.

My room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a little small with no bathtub but I didn't find that to be an issue. The staff was nice and friendly. My room was clean everyday. One thing to know before you go is that the bed is full size and not queen size just incase if you're planning on sharing the bed with someone.

Overall I had good experiences with the establishment. No major complaint and would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank prin a
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Cute little hotel, they keep to the theme of circles and fish, it's adorable. Room sizes more like a European hotel, so don't walk in with your American standards. Fabulous location, it you're headed for the beach, DO stay here. Literally walk out the front door, across the crosswalk, and lay your towel out on Waikiki beach. Clean, small, no pool, no fitness center. Perfect for beach-goers. Extremely windy lanai. Do not put your swimsuit out there to dry, it will blow away.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kelly V
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is one in a series of seven reviews for seven hotels and resorts I stayed at during a recent trip to Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) in the month of May 2012. This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This review is for the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel on Oahu, Hawaii. Additional photos published on my website.

Property: Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Location: Waikiki – Oahu (Hawaii)
Address: 2464 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815
Phone: (877) 997-6667
Website: www.astonwaikikicircle.com
Room Type/Class: Ocean Front Hotel Room (Room 306)
Date: May 21-22, 2012
Booking Source: Direct
Overall Rating: 3/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

My stay with this property was the last night of my trip. I had an early flight out of Honolulu the next morning (checking out before 6am) and was checking in fairly late the prior afternoon, so wanted to find a place to stay that was relatively inexpensive given the short stay (about 12 hours total). This property appeared to be located close to shops, dining, and the beach in Waikiki and was a short drive to the airport, so it served my needs in that regard.

This was my first visit to Oahu, so I had no hands on experience with the area, and referenced TripAdvisor reviews for some feedback from others that have stayed at this and similar properties.

The entrance to the hotel is located off a one-way street, with beach and ocean on the other side of the street. It would be easy to pass by, even with GPS, so my approach was slow in trying to find it.

Once at the address, there appeared to be two options – drive toward an up and downward lane with a gate blocking the entrance, or up toward a small lot with two short term parking spots. All in all, it was very tight with no signage, so it was a bit of a guess as to what guests checking in are supposed to do. I opted to drive up to the area I had to guess was adjacent to registration, and parked in one of the two small parking spaces. Unlike most anywhere you park on the Hawaiian islands, I was not greeted by a valet, so decided to bring my luggage to a window that appeared to serve for registration. There was a sign posted that their parking lot was full (photo below) with directions for parking to a sister property that did not appear to be very close. Certainly not convenient.

There was no lobby or anything of the sort – check-in was facilitated by talking with staff through a plastic window, the interior of which is more like what you might expect to find at a car wash, rather than a hotel. Lots of clutter and disorganization.

There was some confusion and discussion among the employees at check in, though they decided to allow me to park on site (down the ramp with the up/down arm referenced earlier); they provided a remote to open the arm. There is an added charge of $15.71/night for on site, non valet parking.

I took my bags up to my room, since they were already pulled out of the car, and then went back down the elevator to park my car for the night. One in the parking area below, the first impression is that there are much fewer spaces than rooms in the hotel, so it would appear to be common for guests to have to park at the remote sister property or make their own parking arrangements, which is no very convenient.

The hotel itself is very unusual by design – it is a tall cylinder, and each floor is a small circle of rooms.

The room itself was fairly basic and outdated, but appropriate for the price point and location.

The bed was low to the ground and a bit rickety. The shower in the bathroom is smaller than most small closets, and with the showerhead pointed right at the shower curtain, which goes all the way to the floor in the standing stall, it would be easy to flood the floor of the bathroom with water.

A small desk was also provided, with wired (ethernet) Internet service that was an extra fee of $9.95. There was also an empty refrigerator and a key operated safe in the closet.

The room also featured a small balcony, and at least in the case of my room, a great beach and ocean view – probably the biggest benefit of the room.

This was actually the only hotel of seven during this stay where I turned on the TV, and the reception was horrible – more snow on screen on some channels than actual show/content.

It is somewhat kid-friendly, as there is a PS2 in the room, and a DVD rental kiosk down by the elevator.

If you are coming to Hawaii with an expectation of service and luxury, you will not find it at the Aston Waikiki Circle.

If you aren’t going to spend a lot of time in your room, want to be walking distance to most in and around Waikiki, and just need a place to crash at night that is not too expensive (depending on your room type and any kind of special offers available), it is worth a look. But I would highly recommend securing one of the ocean view rooms and seeing if you can make parking arrangements in advance (i.e. reserving a spot on site). I don’t feel any room would be worth more than $150/night, as there are so many other options and special offers at other properties.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing beach/ocean, higher the floor the better. Ask about on site parking before book...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Rock-Subculture

Aloha Rock-Subculture,

Thank you for your very thorough and in-depth review. Guest feedback is such a valuable tool for us as well as our future guests. I appreciate you taking the time to write this.

Your recommendation to book Ocean View (or Ocean Front) is spot-on. While all of our room’s interiors are identical, those wishing to spend some time on the balcony will definitely enjoy looking out over Waikiki Beach and the Pacific Ocean.

As for parking, unfortunately we do not take reservations. We have a total of 24 stalls available for our guests, two of which are reserved for those with ADA placards. When our parking lot is full, overflow parking is available at our sister property the Aston at the Waikiki Banyan for $12/night.

Thank you again for your time and Mahalo for choosing the Waikiki Circle Hotel!