“Signs of Age but Good Value”

Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel
Ranked #76 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We came to Waikiki to visit our student at UH so our need is a reasonably priced confortable stay and this hotel fit the bill.
We had a room on the 6th floor with partial ocean view. The room was small but clean. The staff was very courteus and helped us with ammenities available. The location of the hotel is great. No pool but right across from the beach and centrally located to shopping and restaurants. We rented a car and they have parking at a $22 which was reasonable.
The hotel is showing its age but nothing that made our stay unpleasant. Definitely would stay here again, even for a vacation.

Room Tip: Some rooms at back of hotel on lower floors have are have no view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rstelzne

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Couldn't find the place. Gave the name to the airport shuttle driver, who dropped us off at Astin Beach hotel or whatever. After dragging our luggage down the sidewalk, we walked past it twice! It's an easy to miss doorway on the main drag. Our room was above the main HVAC building, so it was loud, and 1/2 of our views were of other skyscrapers.

That said, the other half of our views were of the ocean, literally footsteps away. You can't get much closer than this than sleeping on the beach itself. The room was small and basic, but why are you spending time in your room other than to sleep and shower anyways? They let us store our luggage after checkout, which was very nice.

Yes, I'd stay there again, as our primary goal is to spend all day and evening around Waikiki.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank revreggae
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a beach-front room on one of the upper floors for two nights.

Pro's: Great view (not the best I've ever had, but top 5).
Close to the beach (about 50 yds across the street)
Valet personnel were great

Cons: Small room- not a big deal, but you're there for the view only
Small bed- Queen at best (booked a King, but wasn't told none avail)
Staff wasn't rude, just not that helpful
Not enough power outlets
Internet $10/night
$22/night to park your car at the hotel

Not what I expected from one of the best rooms in the hotel. Although it's been through a remodel, still not luxury in any way. I could handle a cramped room if the bed is large enough and comfortable, but this was neither. Not horrible, but not at all worth what you'll pay to stay here. If it were in the mid-high $100's, no right to complain, but for well over $200/night in Feb-March, you can do a lot better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank catt4
Jon-Norman D, Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Aloha:

Thank you for choosing Aston Hotels & Resorts and the Waikiki Beachside Hotel! Also, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

Aston Hotels & Resorts took over Management of the property on January 1, 2011. Although we have not changed nor plan to change the existing building, please know that we have been working tirelessly with the Owners to update and remodel; however, as I am sure you know and understand, a full refurbishment takes proper time and sufficient funding. In the mean time, we are more than happy to extend our Customers such amazing rates for such a prime location when compared to our neighboring hotels.

My sincerest apologies if my Staff did not go above and beyond for you. We as Management try to instill Customer Service values into each and every employee and they usually do their best but it appears they didn't do so this time around. Please note that I have spoken to all of them individually with the hopes that no future guest experiences what you did (or did not) encounter.

Most of our sister properties charge a nightly amenity fee which includes internet, newspaper, DVD rentals, etc. As the Waikiki Beachside Hotel already offers complimentary newspapers at the Front Desk and being that our televisions do not have DVD capabilities, we have no other choice but to charge for internet as it is a hefty, recurring, monthly fee. With regards to our parking charges, please note that the average price for daily parking in Waikiki is about $35-$40 which means we are charging about half of what our competition charges. The reason why we are able to keep it at a lower price is due to the fact that our guests have to drive their vehicle around the corner, into the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower. Although it is literally right around the corner, we understand it can be a burden and try our best to offset that with extending the lower price.

I truly hope you have a better understanding of our property and our Operations. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jon-norman.defries@astonhotels.com.

With much Mahalo,

Jon-Norman DeFries
Guest Service Manager
Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The Aston Waikiki Beachside is in the perfect location, right next to the city( one block away) and directly across the street from Waikiki Beach! The staff was extremely nice and helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. The hotel has beautiful antiques throughout and is very clean. Great value!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Brandi M
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just stayed here yesterday. We scheduled ourselves into Honolulu a day early because of flight schedules, I took some of the negative TA reviews into consideration before booking this hotel, Upon arrival the hotel was a little difficult to locate, but it was a busy Friday evening and we were to busy watching traffic and people to concentrate on looking for the hotel. Yes, the place is a little dated, It is an old hotel which was probably a great place in it's day. Our room was small, no doubt, but big enough to be comfortable. The elevator is a little slow and there is no Coffee in the lobby in the morning. All that aside we enjoyed our stay. Our room was clean, with fresh linens, our room looked out over the beach. We were on the 5th floor. There is street noise because this is a busy tourist area. It quieted down by the time we wanted to sleep. We slept well, our a/c was quiet. The next morning after I ran to the ABC store next to the hotel to get coffee, we enjoyed it on the balcony overlooking the beach area. If you want all the luxuries that come with a $300.00 a night hotel, reserve one. If you want a comfortable place to lay your head at night. Stay here, Let's face it you spend most of your day elsewhere anyway. I would stay here for a few days without any problem.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mustangwitha302
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Worth the upgrade to an Ocean View room, truly amazing views from the balcony. Small, boutiquey hotel is right on the luxurious strip, nothing between the hotel & beach except a strip of pavement. Nothing fancy here, no restaurant but the staff is great - friendly & accommodating. Had issue with fridge & WiFi connection, staff addressed both issues quickly. Room was not large, but clean & modern enough. Flanked by ABC stores for groceries & trinkets, lots of great restaurants & shopping within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ivy212
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I really liked this place. I think it is dependent on which room you get though. We were on the 12th (top) floor in room 1202. DO NOT get a room in the middle of the hotel. They have no windows. I can't imagine staying in one of those though I guess they are very cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for. When we made the reservations, we requested a room above the 8th floor as we read other tripadvisor reviews. There is no guarantee which floor you will get though. There are three rooms per floor that look over the beach. If you decide to make reservations here, the higher the floor the better but I would recommend the beach side view. There is a large tree just across the street that will block the view from the lower floors. I wouldn't stay in any room under the 8th floor on the beach side of the hotel. The back rooms had no view what so ever. When the maid was cleaning those rooms I took a peak in. They seem to look at a cement wall very close to the hotel/building behind it. I heard that the 11th floor was not available as it was sold and turned into a condo. Also, from what I heard, the other floors will be turned into condos soon. From our room, the view was fantastic. The room is VERY small. The bathroom sink wasn't the best for putting things on though especially for my girlfriend. There is no room to put a hair dryer/make up, etc. Barely a toothbrush. The bathroom had a stand up shower which was fine for us. The queen bed was comfy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is only one small elevator so sometimes there was a short wait to get on it. There is no microwave or coffee maker but there was a small refrigerator. I also don't know if there is an ice maker in the hotel as I didn't need ice. It does have free wifi. It was conveniently located on "the strip" with a McDonalds and Burger King just a few blocks down from it (that's where I got my morning coffee). If you're looking for a plush room, this is not for you. Personally, I think it's a great deal for the price.

Room Tip: Get a beach side room. The higher the better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple