“End of wonderful vacation”

Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Penticton, Canada
“End of wonderful vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at here just for an overnight stay before heading back to Canada after 2 weeks in Hawaii. We were very pleasantly surprised. After reading reviews we prepared ourselves for the worst and thougth itis just a place to lay our heads. However the room, which was on the 9th floor had AMAZING views of the beach and the sunset. The room had tile floors and even thouh it was small, was very clean and quite. Yea you can tell it is an older hotel, but what we saw it was worth staying at.

The staff at the desk were great. This made it even better since we had a late flight out. They allowed us to keep our luggage there and use the facilities all afternoon and then in the evening before we flew out. All we needed was to ask and they were very accomadating.

Just watch out for the "concierge" service out front; not part of the hotel. They were rather pushy about buying their tours.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elroyjetson40

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My sister and I had a great time at the Aston Waikiki Beachside. We stumbled upon this hotel in a package deal with our flight booking, and were so happy that we did! Since we like to be active on vacations and knew we'd spend little time in the room, we were looking for a clean, budget hotel close to Waikiki Beach. The Aston Waikiki Beachside was a perfect fit!

You can't beat the location. It's just across the road from Waikiki Beach and provides guests with complimentary beach towels and mats. Our room was spacious and very clean. The room furnishings were basic but very comfortable. The housecleaning staff were so cheerful and helpful. It was a joy to see them each morning when leaving the hotel. Lave, who staffs the front desk in the mornings, was an absolute pleasure! He was always in a happy mood and incredibly helpful. He provided us with great directions and recommendations for local restaurants.

If you're looking for luxury, splurge for an ocean-view room or pay the extra money for a luxury hotel. It seems a little unfair to pay budget rates then expect lavish furnishings and ocean views. Overall, we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend the hotel for anyone looking for clean, basic accommodation with a fantastic location and great staff!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kbev86
naharia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We are a mature couple.
When we first arrived we got a shuttle from the airport and they took us to the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel 2 blocks up from where we were staying. We had to walk with the luggage.
We stayed at the hotel before and after our cruise trough the islands.
At our first stay, we got a room with a view to the ocean. It was good comfortable and clean. There is no coffee maker in the room, but they gave us an electrical kettle .
In our second stay, they tried to give us a room with no windows, the ventilation was through the glass door, that was to the corridor!!! After some discussion, they agreed to give us a back room with windows to the next building roof. At least it was not noisy.
The hotel is old and decadent. No care for the furniture or paint in the walls.

Room Tip: Beware of the rooms with numbers that finish with 5. They have no windows!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank zvifab
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

When I first arrived I got a taxi from the airport and they took me to the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel 2 blocks up from where I was staying. Finally got to the hotel and my heart sank when I saw it, too late to cancel. The room is ridiculous. I asked for 2 beds, and they are twin beds, that's not so bad, but I opened the curtain and I look out onto a wall...I don't think coming thousands of miles to Hawaii should give me a wall to look at. I booked my hotel stay on Black Friday and got a 50% discount... I would never pay full price to stay. I thought I was getting a great deal. No pool, no restaurant, even though there are tons within walking distance, but sometimes the convenience is just nice. I will never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank clz_13
Jon-Norman D, Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Aloha:

Thank you for taking the time to complete the guest survey that was sent to you upon departure! I sincerely apologize if our property was not what you expected.

Aston Hotels & Resorts manages both our property (Waikiki Beachside Hotel) and the Waikiki Beach Hotel. And although our names are very similar, there are many differences ranging from amenities, pricing and rooming options. We understand that our property may not be the most modernized nor updated; however, we offer our guests amazing room rates for clean accommodations and unbeatable customer service. Please note that the room you booked and confirmed in (Moderate) was in fact the room category you received.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you. may have encountered. If you should ever change your mind and wish to stay with us again, please let me know directly as I will be sure you enjoy yourself as much as possible.

With much Mahalo!

seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Booked months ago and asked for a king sized bed with a view. "No Problem". Called again about 3 weeks before coming and same response.
When we got here today we are in a very small room with twin beds and absolutely no view except the walls of the next building. A terrible way to end our very nice vacation.We cannot believe that this is an Aston property. We have stayed in other Astons and had great rooms and our requests were honored.
Wi-Fi does not work in our room. Have to use in crowded reception area. Few plugs in room. No amenities. This reminds us of our first hotels we had to stay in when we had small children and little money.

Room Tip: Don't Trust the requests. Told we could not check in before 4 and then when we arrived said we...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pmalatesta
Aloha:

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with your recent stay with us! Please allow me some time to address as many of them as possible.

Please be reminded that when you booked/confirmed your room reservation, the Agent kindly asked for your requests (bedding, etc). Although we do not guarantee requests, we truly try our best to accommodate every single guest with their preference. The Moderate category, considered to be our "run-of-house" does in fact have a lanai; however, no view. This allows our guests to at least get some fresh air, if they choose to spend some time in their room. A few months ago, we began to offer our guests with Complimentary WiFi which has been very much appreciated. Please note that this service is provided through a 3rd party (Oceanic Time Warner) and I can guarantee that if one of our Agents were made aware of your troubles logging on, they would have done whatever they could to resolve the matter.

I truly hope this information helps shed some light on your concerns. I am also happy to hear that our Agents offered you a room move during your stay to that king bedded room (once one became available).

With much Mahalo,

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I thought being an Aston hotel, quality should be guaranteed. To my surprise, this is certainly not the case.

I booked a standard interior room, being interior, I don't expect ocean view, but I don't expect a storeroom either. The room has no window at all, I suspect they converted the storeroom into a guest room just to earn more money. The room is humid, I mean humid! The air conditioner was operating at full capacity when we got there, it feels like a fridge when we arrive. We turn it down before we went out for a walk. When we get back to the hotel room, the floor is completely wet (just because we turn down the air conditioning)!

We need to have to air conditioning running at full capacity at all time to deal with the humidity. We complained to the reception lady, she asked us to pay extra to upgrade to another room (but they don't have any)!

Another thing I don't like about the room is that the door is just a wooden frame with a series of slip on frosted glass in the middle. So, to be clear, you do not need a key to get in! All you need to do is to slip the glasses down, then you can break into the room! I did not feel comfortable leaving any valuables in the room, so we ended up carrying almost everything when we go out.

We didnt sleep well that night, as it was so cold due to the air conditioning.

Well, all I want is a "normal" room with comfortable bed. I don't think this is a big ask, especially when you are staying with aston. Lucky that I only stayed 1 night, but this was my last night at Hawaii before flying back home, so my first trip to Hawaii didn't end perfectly.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. It is right at the beach.

Room Tip: Not standard interior!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Joyce T
Aloha:

Thank you for choosing Aston Hotels & Resorts and the Waikiki Beachside Hotel!

Our property offers a wide variety of rooms ranging from the Standard Interior that you mentioned (our basic, most affordable room) up to our Ocean Front (our top room, facing the Ocean, on the 9th floor or higher). Please note that the category you reserved was never a storage room nor would we ever offer something of that nature; however, for those travelers who choose to not spend much time in their rooms, this option is great as it is cost-friendly and comfortable among other things. If you were looking for something with at least a window/lanai, I would recommend the next category (Moderate). Although it overlooks another building/wall, it does at least have a private lanai and some fresh air.

If you wish to share any other concerns with me, please let me know.

With much Mahalo,

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Id have to say thanks for the reviews on this website, because I have to totally agree with most of them. This place is in an awesome location, very reasonably priced. We stayed in an inside room for 1 night and 2 nights on the 10th floor ocean view room. The inside room was nothing special, but clean. The ocean view room is definitely worth it. You do need to be high up though, because there is a tree that will block the lower level rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the 10th Room - ocean room - perfect! Just be aware cleaners knock on your door early (like...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple