“Do not stay if you want luxury.”

Ranked #76 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 23, 2013

When I first arrived I got a taxi from the airport and they took me to the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel 2 blocks up from where I was staying. Finally got to the hotel and my heart sank when I saw it, too late to cancel. The room is ridiculous. I asked for 2 beds, and they are twin beds, that's not so bad, but I opened the curtain and I look out onto a wall...I don't think coming thousands of miles to Hawaii should give me a wall to look at. I booked my hotel stay on Black Friday and got a 50% discount... I would never pay full price to stay. I thought I was getting a great deal. No pool, no restaurant, even though there are tons within walking distance, but sometimes the convenience is just nice. I will never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank clz_13
Jon-Norman D, Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Aloha:

Thank you for taking the time to complete the guest survey that was sent to you upon departure! I sincerely apologize if our property was not what you expected.

Aston Hotels & Resorts manages both our property (Waikiki Beachside Hotel) and the Waikiki Beach Hotel. And although our names are very similar, there are many differences ranging from amenities, pricing and rooming options. We understand that our property may not be the most modernized nor updated; however, we offer our guests amazing room rates for clean accommodations and unbeatable customer service. Please note that the room you booked and confirmed in (Moderate) was in fact the room category you received.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you. may have encountered. If you should ever change your mind and wish to stay with us again, please let me know directly as I will be sure you enjoy yourself as much as possible.

With much Mahalo!

There are newer reviews for Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Booked months ago and asked for a king sized bed with a view. "No Problem". Called again about 3 weeks before coming and same response.
When we got here today we are in a very small room with twin beds and absolutely no view except the walls of the next building. A terrible way to end our very nice vacation.We cannot believe that this is an Aston property. We have stayed in other Astons and had great rooms and our requests were honored.
Wi-Fi does not work in our room. Have to use in crowded reception area. Few plugs in room. No amenities. This reminds us of our first hotels we had to stay in when we had small children and little money.

Room Tip: Don't Trust the requests. Told we could not check in before 4 and then when we arrived said we...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pmalatesta

Aloha:

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with your recent stay with us! Please allow me some time to address as many of them as possible.

Please be reminded that when you booked/confirmed your room reservation, the Agent kindly asked for your requests (bedding, etc). Although we do not guarantee requests, we truly try our best to accommodate every single guest with their preference. The Moderate category, considered to be our "run-of-house" does in fact have a lanai; however, no view. This allows our guests to at least get some fresh air, if they choose to spend some time in their room. A few months ago, we began to offer our guests with Complimentary WiFi which has been very much appreciated. Please note that this service is provided through a 3rd party (Oceanic Time Warner) and I can guarantee that if one of our Agents were made aware of your troubles logging on, they would have done whatever they could to resolve the matter.

I truly hope this information helps shed some light on your concerns. I am also happy to hear that our Agents offered you a room move during your stay to that king bedded room (once one became available).

With much Mahalo,

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I thought being an Aston hotel, quality should be guaranteed. To my surprise, this is certainly not the case.

I booked a standard interior room, being interior, I don't expect ocean view, but I don't expect a storeroom either. The room has no window at all, I suspect they converted the storeroom into a guest room just to earn more money. The room is humid, I mean humid! The air conditioner was operating at full capacity when we got there, it feels like a fridge when we arrive. We turn it down before we went out for a walk. When we get back to the hotel room, the floor is completely wet (just because we turn down the air conditioning)!

We need to have to air conditioning running at full capacity at all time to deal with the humidity. We complained to the reception lady, she asked us to pay extra to upgrade to another room (but they don't have any)!

Another thing I don't like about the room is that the door is just a wooden frame with a series of slip on frosted glass in the middle. So, to be clear, you do not need a key to get in! All you need to do is to slip the glasses down, then you can break into the room! I did not feel comfortable leaving any valuables in the room, so we ended up carrying almost everything when we go out.

We didnt sleep well that night, as it was so cold due to the air conditioning.

Well, all I want is a "normal" room with comfortable bed. I don't think this is a big ask, especially when you are staying with aston. Lucky that I only stayed 1 night, but this was my last night at Hawaii before flying back home, so my first trip to Hawaii didn't end perfectly.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. It is right at the beach.

Room Tip: Not standard interior!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Joyce T

Aloha:

Thank you for choosing Aston Hotels & Resorts and the Waikiki Beachside Hotel!

Our property offers a wide variety of rooms ranging from the Standard Interior that you mentioned (our basic, most affordable room) up to our Ocean Front (our top room, facing the Ocean, on the 9th floor or higher). Please note that the category you reserved was never a storage room nor would we ever offer something of that nature; however, for those travelers who choose to not spend much time in their rooms, this option is great as it is cost-friendly and comfortable among other things. If you were looking for something with at least a window/lanai, I would recommend the next category (Moderate). Although it overlooks another building/wall, it does at least have a private lanai and some fresh air.

If you wish to share any other concerns with me, please let me know.

With much Mahalo,

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Id have to say thanks for the reviews on this website, because I have to totally agree with most of them. This place is in an awesome location, very reasonably priced. We stayed in an inside room for 1 night and 2 nights on the 10th floor ocean view room. The inside room was nothing special, but clean. The ocean view room is definitely worth it. You do need to be high up though, because there is a tree that will block the lower level rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the 10th Room - ocean room - perfect! Just be aware cleaners knock on your door early (like...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bradley M
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If location, friendly helpful service and comfortable beds are what are important to you then this hotel is ideal. Located across the road from the beach, I had an ocean view room that was so convenient to everything at a fraction of the cost of it's bigger neighbours. Yes the decor is tired but as this gets upgraded it can only get better. Free wifi is another plus.

Room Tip: Ocean view and the higher the better to see over the trees, and escape street noise
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Sue H
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is now my fifth visit to the Aston Waikiki BeachSide hotel.
Im very impressed with the new management, as they have now introduced FREE in room wifi, super fast and ultra convenient. This makes keeping in touch with home even easier...
As usual the beds are comfortable and showers are clean. Staff are great to deal with, even the cleaner remembered us from our last visit (in Nov 2011).
Above all this hotel has the LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Litterally a 30 second walk to the beach... Right next door to an ABC store, and "Eggs and Things" food outlet.

We will be back next year... thanks again to the Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view. Its well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank NeilC2607
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel is very clean and convieniently located directly opposite Waikiki Beach. The service staff are fantastic, and spent about 30 minutes or so assisting us to go on tours while we went and relaxed in our room.

While the wall mounted air conditioners are noisy at night if left on, this is a small price to pay given the cost of the accomodation and the service provided by the staff.

Although there is no bistro, there are over 20 restaurants within a short walk.

Ignore the concierge at the front door - they are not affiliated with the hotel and are only out for your money. There is a concierge located inside the hotel who can assist you.

• Stayed: December 2012