“Beautiful Beautiful Hotel”

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This place was the most beautiful and relaxing place ever.

The staff are so friendly and helpful making you feel welcome.

The wifi is super quick and everything is so close to the hotel. It is a major stop for the buses and cable buses and within a stones throw to the gorgeous Waikiki beach.

The security is top notch and the decor of the rooms are lovely.

Breakfast is included each day and you're able to fill up your cooler bag if you would like to eat back in your room or take for later. The hawaiian singer by the pool at breakfast was wonderful.

I recommend this place for anyone to stay as it's so relaxing and pretty.

• Stayed: September 2013
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

We are glad to hear that your time in Hawaii was relaxing and memorable. Mahalo for staying with us, and for sharing your lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future! -Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days in April. Check in/check out were pleasant and the staff was friendly. The rooms were rather small, but appeared and smelled clean. We had a lovely view of both Diamond Head and the beach. People say you pay for the location not the hotel, and it's true.. For the price it could have been much nicer.. BUT not in Hawaii, so I wasn't totally shocked/disappointed. The breakfast is not entirely complimentary as they do charge you an additional fee for it.. it was ok. Bagels, fruit, cereal, and pastries with a variety of drinks. They do offer omelettes for a couple of dollars, which were not bad(although they were egg beaters). The hotel provides each room with a small lunch bag to pack your breakfast in, which was convenient for us to take on our road trip to the North Shore.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FerrerSui

Aloha, and thank you for staying with us. We're glad to see you enjoyed our friendly service, hotel, and desirable location. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back. Mahalo, Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 2.30am after a 12 hr delay in SFO thanks to Hawaiian Airlines & were greeted kindly with an upgrade so that was a good start. Beds comfortable! Breakfast a disaster! You are supposed to either pack all the highly packaged stuff into a bag & fight for the very limited chairs around the crowded pool or go & eat it on the beach! Very unpleasant scenario & the end result is packaging floating in the pool & pissed off guests cause no one can find a place to sit. The sadest part of it all is the environmental damage all that packaging is doing - it is totally unnecessary-the hotel needs to smarten up! Don't bother with it avoid the grief & eat elsewhere & the hotel should give u the choice to opt out, don't charge the guest the tax! I'm surprised that such a big hotel thinks this is smart business practice?

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Ceal0909

Aloha, as our Breakfast Team researches how we can improve our breakfast they will definitely consider your concerns. Your comments have been shared with the necessary department head for her further review. On behalf of the hotel, we apologize for any inconveniences caused. We thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to review our property. Sincerely, Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The beach is directly across the street. It's so close, you can actually walk barefoot. The breakfast is mostly Hawaiian pastries, but the pineapple is to die for. The pool is also relaxing after a day at the beach. Word of advice: don't use the computers downstairs, if they don't print, you will not be refunded any money. Instead of purchasing the excursions with the different kiosks, I suggest you look into purchasing an Oahu Card!

• Stayed: July 2013
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Aloha- thank you for the review and for sharing your photo . We are always glad to learn about our guests' fun Hawaiian vacations. Mahalo for staying with us, and we hope to see you again next time. Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful stay on my honeymoon. The room was upgraded for free once they found out I was on my honeymoon. There were also free DVDs to check out, with our hotel stay. The hotel had a wonderful breakfast that you could bring anywhere with the lunch boxes provided. The only downside is the location. The location is full of homeless people. I walked across the street to the beach to see a man showering (with shorts) in the rinse off section. I also went for a romantic midnight swim with my husband, but to our surprise we found a turd floating in the water. Needless to say the homeless is a issue in the area. Every five feet it seemed as if someone was asking for money. But the hotel was wonderful. It's just the fact that the beach is a prime location for homeless people. Though the big island is said to have less of this issue.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank ShelbyGordon
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Aloha Shelby, and thank you for sharing your review. We realize there is a homeless population in Waikiki. This is one of our most challenging issues because we can only be responsible for the people on our property. In order to assist us with finding the best possible solutions, our Management team has built strong working relationships with the Honolulu Police Department regarding this matter. In the meantime, rest assured that we use all available resources such a security team, monitored cameras in communal areas, and a secure elevator system. We are thankful that our Security Personnel has done a fantastic job at deterring non-guests from entering our property.

Furthermore, we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, breakfast, and that you were provided an upgrade for your honeymoon. We sincerely thank you for sharing your feedback, and for staying with us. If you would like to stay with us again, (maybe for your anniversary?) please feel free to contact me directly at res.wow@astonhotels.com Mahalo, Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Unfortunately I (and my young son) ended up confronting a burglar in our room. Fortunately, after I screamed at him and snatched my valuables out of his arms, he took off down the hall and no one was hurt. ( I am not a big woman but apparently I can really holler!) The hotel security was very nice in the way they handled the situation and cops were called, etc. As I was traveling on my own with my son, this attention was appreciated and needed.
We especially appreciated Vivinne's attentiveness.

Such things can and do happen in hotels. In this case, my beach bag (containing shorts, sun screen and my room key) was stolen from the beach. So there was no mystery as to how someone got the key. I went directly to the hotel to report this and also mentioned my concern about returning to my room knowing that my key had been taken. But the receptionist did not take my fears seriously and said there was no way anyone could find out which room we were in. Wrong.

After the incident, we were moved to an "upgraded" room...which appeared to be just like the one we were in before with the exception that the tv didn't work (had to call maintenance) and the fact that BOTH beds had sheets with huge holes. GAH!

On check out we were told that Nicole from the hotel would be calling to speak with me about the burglary incident. No call received. I ended up calling a month later, leaving a message, received a call back a week later, only to have Nicole inform me know that the hotel's insurance wouldn't cover my stolen property. Um, what stolen property.....I retrieved it myself supermom style. I explained that I simply wanted them to review their security policy, let the front desk know that guests concerns regarding security should be taken seriously, and that they needed to revisit their idea (which she repeated countess times) that there is no way a burglar can find their way to the correct room with the room key. Nicole said the hotel would be in touch. That was three months ago. Apparently these issues are not a great concern. Pity.

Burglary and holes aside: Would I stay here again? No....the place seemed tired and a bit grotty. I like the previous reviewer's comment about the Aston being an "aging Motel Six, but a high-rise." That pretty much sums it up.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Timezoned

Aloha, we are pleased that our security team was attentive and professional when they helped you in this concerning matter. According to our records the security report that we submitted to our Insurance Company was processed and they did contact you. We are sorry that you felt we didn’t take your concern seriously. However, the safety of our guests and employees is our top concern, and we are grateful that in this situation no one was hurt, and nothing was stolen. Please contact me directly at wow.res@astonhotels.com so we can discuss the situation.

Furthermore, we were very sorry to learn about the bed linen in the second guest room provided to you. This is something that has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper. She will ensure that in the future our room attendants pay more attention to these details.

On behalf of the hotel, we thank you for staying with us and visiting Waikiki. Sincerely, Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The best thing about this hotel it its location. You are just a few steps from Waikiki, around the corner from the Honolulu Zoo, and the Waikiki Trolley stops right at the door so you can get around Downtown pretty easily on that without a car. The view of Waikiki was almost perfect from the 24th floor, and I could clearly see the fireworks let off at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on the Friday night I was there. I didn't have any issues with noise from other rooms or from the street, and as a solo female traveller I felt safe and secure in my room. I couldn't get the wi-fi to work in my room, but there was a wired connection for my laptop. I didn't have the breakfast on offer, so can't comment on that. The hotel staff I came into contact with were all friendly. They checked me in and out quickly and without any incident.
The room was clean, as was the bathroom. The beds were comfortable. It was clearly an old hotel, but they've put enough work into it so that you don't feel like you're stuck in 80s hell. It's nothing flash--not particularly 'Hawaiian', not contemporary or glamorous or chic--but it's fine. It does the job its meant to do.
The only issue I had was the shower. The shower head was so low that I had to bend over to wash my hair (I'm 5'7, hardly a giant), and there's no way of raising it. And as for the flow, you know that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer discovers they're putting low flow shower heads into the building, so he buys something that's used to clean elephants on the black market? I think Aston Waikiki Beach did the same thing. I was practically pinned against the opposite wall from the spray every morning. Try as I might, I couldn't fix that either. On the plus side, it sure does blast away all the errant grains of sand stuck on you from the beach.
Overall, the hotel is totally fine for a few days while you explore the island. You're paying for the location, not the hotel. Keep that in mind. For the price you pay you'd normally expect a better hotel, but this is Waikiki. A three-star hotel for a 4-star and above price.

Room Tip: I booked an Aston Select Ocean View room and ended up on the 24th floor facing the Marriott. The vie...