“Not nice”

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
New York, NY
Reviewed February 17, 2004

Bare bones - stayed in the back building, so no view, no lobby, etc. I think you take a chance of being put there when you stay here. The main building is no great shakes either.

The hotel is somewhat 'family-oriented' if you know what I mean.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,954)

Reviewed February 11, 2004

I can't imagine what hotel you people who LIKED the Aston Waikiki Beach were actually staying in! I had a number of the same problems this week as the other people. Starting with the check in - we reserved 4 rooms.
3 were with King beds, 1 with doubles. I had confirmations of all of this back on September 3. We went to check in and were told there were no King Oceanfront rooms! (We had booked 1 King and 1 double oceanfront at $261/night on their "special" online rate!) After half hour of arguing and asking for the manager - guess what! They found one! (Of course it was 5 floors higher!). Then they couldn't get us adjoining rooms (even 2 double rooms) oceanfront as we had requested back in September. So all of us stayed on different floors...great service! But the real kicker was when the people behind us were offered the SAME ROOM TYPE I had (oceanfront double) for $50 less if they wanted to upgrade at checkin! And, they refused to reduce OUR rate! So we get to this tiny, dumpy, old room (yeah, $30mil remodel? Someone must have embezzeled the money!) and by the 2nd day the airconditioning was pumping massive amounts of cigarette smoke into our non-smoking rooms.
It was also happening to our friends on the 19th floor. They finally agreed to move us the next day which entailed repacking and unpacking again, re-ironing my clothes (at least no one stole mine!) and several hours of major stress and disruption of my vacation! Guess what! Next room had the same problem. I have disputed my credit card, because like the other person, I cannot get the general manager to call me and cannot get any satisfaction. (Oh, they DID try to upgrade me at check in to a 2 room suite for $525 a night, wasn't that nice?) This is beginning to sound like a scam to me - sell one rate and try to get you to pay an upgrade fee and undercut those of us who book in advance at a "special" rate? Maybe it's time to contact Better Business Bureau and the Hawaii Attorney General's office.

• Stayed: February 2004
11  Thank tahoedee
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Reviewed February 8, 2004

We just returned from Oahu, and stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, and enjoyed every minute. All of the staff were great to us, from when we first checked in until we checked out everyone was very helpful and friendly. Lillian at the front desk was exceptional. Our room was great we had an ocean view on the 16th floor, we could sit on the lanai each evening and watch the sunset, which was beautiful. We rented a car and the valet staff were also great to us very helpful with directions, even on the busiest day they were very helpful and so friendly. The breakfast on the beach was also very good, it is so nice to have the complimentary coolers you can take the food with you and eat it wherever you want or sit by the pool and eat and they have entertainment by the pool. The only thing we didn't like was room service was pretty expensive and you would get less food, also Tiki's restaurant was pretty expensive. But overall everything was perfect and we would go back there in a minute!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2004

We signed up for the Aston after reading the write up and reviews on
Expedia.ca. When we arrived it was clear that the advertising was
misleading. In addition our reservation and check in was handled badly.
If the hotel spent $30 million on renovations in 2001 it is obvious
they got took. I honestly don't see where the money was spent. Although
the room we had was generally clean, the bathroom was dated, especially
the floors and, the bathroom walls had chipped paint in many areas and
were dirty.
The decorator must have been blind. Puke green and mustard halls ways are not my idea of an inviting atmosphere.
When we reserved our room we asked for a non-smoking room, with a king
sized bed and ocean view. In addition we asked for a view up-grade as
advertised for seniors.(subject to availability). When we arrived we
were given a smoking room with a partial view (very partial), and two
double beds. When I enquired about the view upgrade I was advised that
there was no availability, however, if I wished to pay extra, a view
room upgrade was available. (not available for seniors up-grade, but
available if I pay)??? In addition the young man who checked us in was
indifferent to the fact that we were given the wrong room etc. After
complaining twice we finally got a non-smoking room with a king sized
bed above the pool area, ....with a partial view. Although the bathroom
in this room was also very dated and grungy. Its really too bad because
the cost of replacing the floor tiles in the bathroom and repainting
probably is only $250 per room. A small price to pay to greatly improve
the premises.

After we got the room matter settled, we started to enjoy the Hawaii
atmosphere. The breakfast was a nice touch, although the egg and
bacon/saugage muffins became tasteless afterwhile. The hotel supplied
towels and chairs for the beach which was a nice touch.

Notwithstanding the above we came to enjoy the hotel and, the people
became much more friendly as days pasted and our experience much more
pleasant.

Although this establishment is advertised as a 4 star hotel 2 1/2 stars
is more like it.

We did like the location however and after the matter with our room was
corrected enjoyed our stay.

We plan to return to Hawaii next year and will consider staying at the
Aston. The hotel provides reasonable value for the price but as
indicated above, a little more improvement in the bathrooms would go a
long way. In addition brighten up the hall ways and get rid of the
dated blue tile elevator enterance walls in the lobby and ground floor.

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank fakmiz
Owosso, Michigan
Reviewed February 2, 2004

I spent a week at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel in May of 2003. The service was great, the rooms were clean and decorative, I enjoyed the breakfasts set out by the pool, and the location was great. We were right across the street from Waikiki beach and within walking distance of several shops. I would definitely stay there again in the future.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
E. Amherst, NY 14051
Reviewed February 2, 2004

We rented two adjoining room for two evenings. Upon check-in, the car bell-hops immediately took our luggage, then told us it would be at least an hour before they could get it to our room. We instead went downstairs and carried it up ourselves. We then dressed and went out for the evening. The next day, I noticed that all of my tops were missing from my luggage. Our calls to security, Popu, were ignored, then finally they had me fill out a report. I called the Honolulu police to make a report, as I felt the hotel was covering up the theft.
We were told that NO hotel personnel would come to our rooms for any reason for the duration of our stay. The next morning, I was in our adjoining room checking on our teenage children, when I exited into the hall, the maid was peering into our room - my husband was sleeping...what was she doing there, I asked.....I told her there was nothing left, that she and the other maid already took my things....When I called to the hotel manager, Taylor, he told me he was unaware that my things had been stolen the day before....Then Popu told him that I had yelled at the maid, and it was obvious to both my husband and to me that they were both covering up something....They told us that they had never had a theft at the hotel before, ever....
Another lie....They made no effort to even give me petty cash to buy a top to wear onto the airplane home... They acted as if we made the entire situation up - treated me horribly, victimized me even more ..... Told me maybe I left my hall door open (impossible, I always check), maybe I left my patio door open and someone came in from the balcony (23rd floor, I don't think so), told me maybe I left my clothes where we previously stayed (I remember packing them) etc...Tried to blame shift their employee theft onto me, the victim.....Then my husband got involved and told them - "Enough, my wife came here with clothing, and we went out, and now her clothing is gone. Someone at your hotel DID do this..." They backed off from him....And would you believe, when we were at breakfast, I went back to the room, heard the door handle opening, expected to see my husband, and saw another hotel worker entering my room.....even though we were again promised that NO ONE would come near our room for any reason....This is 5 months later, and I still have NOT received reimbursement for my articles of clothing and for the cost of the two rooms for the two nights....I would NOT ever stay at that hotel again.... I would advise you to consider what I have written in my report before deciding to lodge at this hotel.....Personally I will not ever stay there again, ever....I'd sleep on the beach before staying here.....

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2004

Ignore the virtual tour as it is as misleading as I have ever seen it.
This is a 4 star hotel? I guess if you look out the window at night you might see 4 stars. What a disatrous experience for my daughter, her husband and two teen age daughters. I have visited in Honolulu every year for the past 30 years but I have never experienced such a pigeon hole room (with no drawer space) at such outlandish prices. One night was enough. I checked my kids out out and into the Waikikii Banyon where they enjoyed a spectacular condo at exactly one-half the price.
Buyer beware!!