“I would stay here again!”

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“I would stay here again!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I love the "breakfast on the beach". The ambiance is very Hawaiian. Staffs are extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms Are a little old but tolerable. Location is super convenience to everywhere! Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for staying with us at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. We are glad to see you would stay with us again and that you enjoyed our ambience and ‘Breakfast on the Beach’. Our breakfast is included for all our guests and includes items such as pastries, muffins, mini bagels, teas, coffees, juices, milk, kimchee, and miso soup. We also offer hot items such as omelets and waffles for a nominal charge. We also have a hula dancer and musician each morning. We hope you had a lovely time visiting Waikiki and we look forward to welcoming you in the future!

Guest Services Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (956)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Benicia, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The best thing was the man singing Hawaiian songs by the pool in the morning -- great voice and setting. Breakfast was better than average and the inclusion of the insulated bag for food is a great touch. We had Internet problems that the people tried to fix -- but never succeeded. Overall, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The music in the bar goes on loud until 11 pm so dont plan on sleeping before then if you are a light sleeper. Really annoying is the delivery trucks in the morning with the loud "in reverse" bell -- woke me up very early each morning, but in fairness I am a light sleeper. The rooms were clean with recently updated decor (the bed was excellent). The city needs to put forth more effort in keeping the south part of Waikiki a bit more orderly in the evening -- it will impact tourism. Overall, a decent value for the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JTW94510
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for the thoughtful review. Our hula dancer and singer provide entertainment each morning at our pool deck during breakfast. The cooler bags or ‘breakfast on the beach’ bags are found in your guest room upon check in. They are perfect for breakfast on-the-go, and serve as a nice souvenir. We apologize if the music was too loud at our onsite restaurant, this is something that we monitor, and thank you for your feedback. We hope you had a lovely time visiting Waikiki, and we thank you for staying with us!

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel during the Honolulu Marathon in December 2011. All in all it was a great experience. The location is amazing - right next door to the zoo, walking distance to Diamond Head and right across the street from the beach. It is also within walking distance of many great shops and restaurants. Rooms are updated and clean, although quite small but who stays in their room when you're in Hawaii?

The free breakfast in the morning is a great perk and they always had live music and a hula dancer during breakfast. One issue is the lack of seating - the breakfast buffet is served at the pool and there just isn't enough seating for everyone. The pool is also small and we didn't use it during our visit as the beach is right across the street and much nicer. Halfway through our stay we upgraded to an ocean view and could see the whole zoo from our balcony, it was beautiful!

The ABC stores are great for souveniers and there is one on every block! You can get the same souveniers cheaper at Wal-mart but I found the ABC stores very reasonably priced and super convenient. Do Diamond Head if you can, there is a beautiful view from the top. We also visited Hanauma Bay which is gorgeous and great for snorkelling.

Overall I had a great experience and would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely stay here again next time I visit Honolulu.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view for the extra few dollars - it's worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kellynewfie
Aloha, and we are glad to see you enjoyed our spectacular views and location! Our Ocean View and Ocean Front categories are the most popular since they offer views of the ocean and Waikiki strip or Diamond Head. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is very good, across the road from the beach and at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. The resort fee here is good value as it includes a breakfast buffet and unlimited DVD rentals, amongst other things. However I really want to commend the staff here. I arrived a little early but they checked me in and had a room ready for me within one hour. I also had problems with the key card for my room and the staff were courteous and went out of their way to resolve the problem (which turned out to be me: I wasn't pushing the card all the way in). I will definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Aloha, and we are glad to see you enjoyed our friendly service and hotel. Our daily amenity fee includes breakfast, unlimited DVD and game rentals via PS3, high speed internet, local calls, daily newspaper, and use of in room safe. We hope you had a fantastic Hawaiian vacation and look forward to welcoming you back!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Research & Booking:
We booked a room here mostly because they offered free breakfast and the beach was right across the road.

Room:
The rooms were not too bad, for the price that we paid and for the location but don’t expect much.

Food:
The breakfast was good for me as I had plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee etc. But if you like only hot breakfast it comes at an extra price. There are other food places downstairs and restaurants close by.

Service:
The service was OK at the best and all the staff was adequate. They were busy most of the time but helped us find a room with a better view from our second night.

Location, Beaches and pool:
The location is good as it is less than 2-minute walk to the beach. But unfortunately we did not spend any time at the beach here, as it was crowded. We spent more time at other beaches such a lanikai that are more secluded with fewer people and clearer, prettier waters. I would recommend staying closer to the lanikai although there are not too many hotels/resorts there. Waikiki was too touristy and crowded for my taste. The reason I am giving it only 3 stars is because, I did not use the pool or beach of this property. The room was definitely a 3star at best. I would rather have stayed at a better hotel, a little further away from the beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cutewings
Aloha, and thank you for reviewing our property. Our continental breakfast includes pastries, mini muffins, cereals, miso soup, kimchee, mini bagels, milk, juices, teas and coffees. Our location is directly across the street from the beach at the east end of the Waikiki strip- we are walking distance to the popular venues such as the Zoo, Aquarium, shops, and restaurants. We are glad to see you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us, and found the perfect beach to meet your needs- Thank you for staying with us!

Rebecca Dinneen
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our fifth time visiting the island and we wanted to stay on the beach, so I found this hotel to be reasonably priced considering location and high travel season, Christmas. I would say that the hotel looked exactly liked the pictures show, however . . . we reserved an oceanview standard room. It was very, very, very small. I was told that rooms with two beds come with full beds only. For the three of us (husband and 21 teenage son) it was very cramped. There wasn't much room to even walk around the beds to get out to the lania. The room we had in this hotel had a small lania with one chair. We would take a small chair from in the room out onto lanai when more than one of us wanted to enjoy the views. This was slightly inconvenient I thought. The view from the room however was breathtaking! See photo. Unfortunately when we first checked in, we had to request a room change because as I was sitting on one of the beds, I felt a bug crawling on my shoulder from the headboard of the bed. I caught it and was quite alarmed. See photo. I called down to the front desk and within minutes security and housekeeping were in my room asking me questions, telling me they were going to move us to another room, taking pictures of the bug and then recommended that we allow them to spray our luggage with a bug spray. They would bring our bags over (which we hadn't unpacked yet) to our new room after approximately 30 minutes. Which they did do. I was very nervous about spending the rest of the week in the hotel, but just tried to forget what happend and make the beset of it. The rest of thet stay went fine. We especially enjoyed the free morning continental breakfast which is buffet style. They even provide little plastic lunch bags they call "Breakfast on the Beach" bags that you can bring with you to fill up to your hearts content with food and then take it to the beach and ear or where ever you want to go. Something very cool is that during breakfast time, they have live music/hawaiian dancing going on poolside sort of like entertainment while you eat. The hotel offers free towels and beach chairs you can check out each day to easily take across the street to the beach. We even took them to Hunauma Bay with us one day. Another great feature is their free DVD rental kiosks in the lobby. Each room is equipped with a gaming system/DVD player so you can get up to two DVDS at a time from the lobby kiosk. The selection of movies wasn't bad either. We ate at the hotel restaurant which was good and they have live entertainment on certain nights.

Although there were many FREE things the hotel offers, it really isn't FREE because each day you stay in the hotel you are charged a "resort fee" which covers Internet, DVD movies, Daily Breakfast Buffet and access to towel/chair use. Be mindful when booking this hotel as far as the daily rate you get. You will be spending more when you include the daily resort fee and mutiple taxes on top of the room rate. It can add up really fast and surprise you when you check out.

Although I loved the location and all the conveniences the hotel offered, I felt the rooms were just too small for our taste. Although we do spend a lot of time outside, we don't want to feel cramped in our room either and for the price of the week long stay, I would have liked more space for our money.

Room Tip: Try to stay on high floor if your on the side of the tower overlooking the restuarant. The sound fr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lisaviva
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for the thoughtful review. We were glad to see we were able to meet many of your expectations during your time at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. We apologize that the room size was a bit too small for your family of three adults. This hotel was constructed during a time in Waikiki’s history when the emphasis was not on room size, but on location and view.

Whenever we have a ‘pest scare’ we send our trained housekeeping personnel to assist with a room move as well as look for pests. We also follow up with our pest control company to verify our findings. In this case, the findings were negative. In tropical environments we often see mosquitos, sand mites, and other pests. If you have further concerns regarding this incident please feel free to contact me at Rebecca.dinneen@astonhotels.com

We are glad you enjoyed our breakfast on the beach, it is our signature amenity. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, Mahalo!

Lynnwood
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 8 nights - was pleased with location since its right across from Waikiki beach. However, the room was small, not very clean- very old, poolside was always busy, was charged an additional 400.00 for parking, amenity fees, etc. Everything was over priced. Also, if you mind the touristy feel - do not stay here. It was very touristy. This was my 17th time visiting Oahu - my first time at this particular Aston location.

• Stayed January 2013