“Plenty of Aloha”

Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Nadi, Fiji
“Plenty of Aloha”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stay at the Aston quite often, the staff has always gone out of thier way to treat thier customers with Aloha, as we say in the islands. Its no wonder why this hotel is packed year around with tourists, and locals as well. If you compare the price to some of the other hotels it might all seem the same..but..this hotel really goes out of its way to make its guests comfortable.Also it has undergone a renovation recently which has added some comfort features. The beds are very comfortable, and the Tiki's bar downstairs is the place to be. They feature live music most nights and i go to Tiki's even when im not staying at the hotel. Also it is within walking distance of the Honolulu Zoo, the Aquarium, the Natatorium, and Kapiolani Park. The best stretch of Waikiki Beach is right out front. I dont think you can find a better value for your dollars in Waikiki.

Room Tip: The Main Tower is the most convenient one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank kavalange
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for the thoughtful review. Yes, we do have a perfect location directly across from the beach and within walking distance of many tourist attractions. Our onsite restaurant, Tiki's Bar & Grill, has an Asian Fusion Cuisine and live music each night. We are encouraged to know that our Aloha spirit brings you back to our hotel. We thank you for your continued support and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Mahalo,
Guest Services Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Comet, Qld
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had one night pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise here. The staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly and we were pleased that our room was already available when we first arrived as we'd had a very long day flying from Australia.
The hotel is in a great location right opposite the beach, walking distance to many eateries, shops and the International Market Place and a stop on the Ala Moana shuttle. Very convenient.
This had been advertised as providing a small carry pack for breakfast so that you could easily take it away. By the time we go there this had been replaced with flimsy cardboard trays that were difficult to manage. Breakfast itself was below acceptable. There was very little variety. Fruit was not ripe and was tasteless. Coffee wasn't worth the name. If you don't get there early you won't get a seat or may have to balance your flimsy cardboard tray on your lap. Breakfast probably wasn't a deal breaker but next time I would stay somewhere that didn't include it and eat out. There's plenty of places nearby.
The rooms were adequate and clean but very very basic and tired. They badly need updating. Don't be fooled by any talk of a "balcony" or lanai. At best, this will be a ledge that you can fit a couple of chairs on - just. At worst, the door won't even open, like our first room. Perhaps the more expensive rooms are better, but if you're here on a budget, you'll get what you pay for room-wise. Not much.
Wifi internet was only available by the pool and was very, very slow.
I have hovered over the ratings 2 and 3. I have settled for a 3 based on the staff and location. I would have given it a 2.5 rating if I could have.
Honestly, I would recommend looking elsewhere. I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't get too excited about the views. You probably won't spend enough time in your room to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Goannas
Aloha, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were glad to see you enjoyed our friendly service and perfect location directly across from the beach. We were sorry to learn that you did not find our breakfast satisfactory, and appreciate your feedback. We apologize the cooler bags were unavailable during your stay with us. Due to popular demand we are currently offering them. They are perfect for 'breakfast on the go' or to enjoy around the pool area with live music and hula dancer.

We have standing balconies on the Diamond Head side of our hotel. The larger balconies are on the Waikiki side and Ocean Front sides of our hotel. Also, we do agree that WiFi in the guest rooms will better accommodate our guests, and we are anticipating the completion of this project very soon. We apologize for the inconveniences caused to you. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope you had a fabulous Hawaiian vacation.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my first time to Hawaii & when we first arrived at the hotel it was nicely decorated and was right across from the beach, so I figured I picked a good hotel. Then we went to check in and that's where the nightmare began. You can't check in or check out until a specific time, so you're forced to walk around with your luggage until your room is ready, and when it's finally time, you have to wait in a long line for an hour because they only have one person working at any given time. They also screwed up our room requirements giving us a room with 2 beds and a resort view when we asked for one bed (hello, we're a couple!) and a beach front view. But I decided not to complain. The breakfast is cheap and gross and even though its "free" we never ate their breakfast because it was cheap cereal and bagels. Housekeeping was always late and we didn't get our room cleaned until 3 or 4 pm. The wifi never worked and the DVD rental kiosk was always out of order. All in all bad bad bad.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Valeriesp
MDemello, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I want to sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I do not know from your review what day you checked in, as several days in December were sold-out and very challenging. We set our check-in time for 3pm and check-out at noon. If rooms become available earlier for the category you reserved, we will check you in as soon as possible. With the installation of a new property management system at the end of October 2012, we have been taking a little longer to check guests in; however, I have not heard of people waiting more than thirty minutes on a sold-out day to check-in. If you would be so kind as to let me know what day you arrived, we can check our computer records.

We do our best to accommodate all bedding requests; that being said, we have a finite number of rooms with kings and doubles. In these cases, our Front Desk will make arrangements to room move you as soon as the request can be met.

Breakfast on the Beach is one of the most popular offerings here at the hotel. We serve cereals, flavored yogurts, Asian items, freshly-baked items, fresh, cut fruit, flavored coffees and teas, juices and soft drinks, oatmeal, and feature an Action Station which creates made-to-order omelets, waffles, and french toast. Breakfast is not just a meal, we believe it is an experience, complete with live entertainment.

Once again, my sincere apologies, and I certainly hope to hear from you as I would like to see if you would like to return. You may reach me at Mark.demello@astonhotels.com

Mark Demello
Chelan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The location is great and very convenient. The staff was very helpful and happy. We loved the early morning breakfast and watching the hula girl and singer. They even sang Happy Birthday to my daughter and got all the guest to sing along.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Merick H
Aloha, and thank you for staying with us. It seems like you had a lovely time during your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff, perfect location, and hotel. Our singer and hula dancer complement our ‘Breakfast on the Beach’ and we are thrilled that your family enjoyed them. Thank you for reviewing our property and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Mahalo,
Greensboro, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Pros: Location. East end of Waikiki Beach, easy walking to zoo & aquarium, and of course, the beach, which was just across the street. Our room had a great view of Diamond Head and if you stuck your own head out far enough & craned it to the right, you could see the ocean. Starbucks is around the corner to your left, Seattle's Best is one block over to your right. Free to take with you to the beach: towels & beach chairs.
Cons: Service. Maid service never showed until well into the afternoon, 330PM, then 4PM, then 430PM, and this even after complaining the first day. The concierge didn't seem to understand his job; when I asked for transportation to the airport, he gave me the phone number of a taxi service--he did not call & make the arrangement himself. And FYI, the EcoCab is a great company, with no thanks to the Aston Waikiki Beach Concierge, because that was not the number of the taxi service he gave me. (Those people did not even answer their phone.) Oh, and let's not forget the 'mandatory' $10/day fee for, uh, what was it--'free' video rental & I'm not sure what else. Basically, it was a weaselly add-on charge that you do not know of until you check in, too jet-lagged to complain & find another hotel.
So-so: the breakfast. Yeah, sure it was 'free', and they supply you with a little case so you can take it with you to the beach, but the juices come out of a machine; the fruit is your standard American grocery store fruit (pineapple, cantaloupe, grapes, honeydew melon) that could be had anywhere--where was the papaya, the mango?; boxed cereals; mass-produced pastries; can't comment on the coffee & I missed the tea--it was by the juices instead of the coffee. That's the 'American' breakfast. For Asians, the food is on the other side: fish, rice, soup, that's what I remember. I didn't try any of this, though I meant to.
General: no fan in the bathroom; huge gap under the door & terrific whistling cross-wind as a result when combined with an open balcony door

Room Tip: Don't know which tower we were in, but it had a fine view of Diamond Head (and the zoo!)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for reviewing our property. We are glad to learn you enjoyed our perfect location nearby popular venues, dining, and directly across the street from the beach. However, we were sorry to see that you had some less than desirable experiences. Our housekeepers service guest rooms between 8am -4pm. We are sorry if they did not get to your room until later in the afternoon, especially if you called for a time request. We also apologize that our breakfast was not to your standard. However, we do appreciate your feedback because we are currently reviewing many options to improve our breakfast, and guest comments provide us valuable information. Currently, we offer a variety of options such as juices, teas, coffees, milk, cereals, pastries, mini bagels, yoghurts, kimchee, miso soup, and rice. We also offer hot items for a nominal charge. We apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We hope you had a lovely time visiting Waikiki, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Rebecca
Sydney
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was actually my fourth stay at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. Even though the hotel isn't the flashest, in terms of location and price for a beach-front room, I always thought it couldn't be beaten. However, after this last trip, I'm afraid to say, we won't return - the prices have gone up but the room quality and service have dropped.

We had booked our usual, high-floor, ocean-front room, but on check in, we were told we needed to pay extra for a high floor room - a policy which was brought in AFTER we had booked and paid. So we ended up with a lower floor room, which wasn't a huge problem but disappointing. Overall, customer service was pretty appalling, starting with check in and continuing throughout our trip. Staff seem disinterested in helping anyone and communication between staff members was terrible. We asked for a bottle opener to be delivered to our room and waited 90 minutes....we called downstairs to find out what was going on and someone told us they don't deliver items to rooms! So I then went downstairs to collect it and when I got there, was told someone was bringing it up! We had a free lunch included in our package and pre-booked it but it never turned up. We also had general issues with local attraction information provided by staff being inaccurate.

In terms of the hotel itself, a revamp is well overdue. The beds are comfortable and rooms are relatively clean, but we had torn sheets and doona cover, broken lock on balcony door, peeling paint everywhere, and a hole in the wall in the bathroom. Bathrooms are very, very dated as is the furniture and carpet.

The breakfast, as other reviewers have commented, is average at best. You also have to get down there relatively early, especially for holiday-makers (I think it's only between 6 and 9am and by 9am everything is pretty much gone). We actually skipped it a few days and ate elsewhere, which was a welcome change. Lulu's downstairs, past Subway and above the ABC store, was pretty good for breakfast.

Overall, we will not return to this hotel, which is disappointing given we were almost 'regulars'! The Aston Waikiki Beach hotel need to either drop their prices significantly, or update their rooms and train their staff in the art of customer service.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have the best views and are furthest away from the pool/bar/band (ie quietest...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SydneyGirl08
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are grateful that you chose to return. I am very concerned with your negative impressions and comments regarding the hotel. Please contact me as I would like to obtain more information from you. You can reach me at Mark.demello@astonhotels.com

Here at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, we strive to deliver stays beyond expectations, and if we fall short, we always try to make it right. I look forward to working with you.

Mark Demello
Fremont, Ca
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Firstly the cons: We stayed here for about a week and the experience was less than par. (1) They charge you $10 a day for services you don't use ie phone, wired internet (no wifi), DVD rentals. (2) Valet was $26 per day and it took over 40 Minutes to retrieve your vehicle. Plus they always an accuse instead of apologizing. (3) All of the representatives here are very lazy and they never show a sense of urgency, even when it is apparent that they've made a mistake. (4) Check-in took over an hour because of slow front desk employees. 3 parties in line and it took 30 mins for each party to check in. (5) ALL THE DOORS HERE DO NOT LOCK SECURELY. IF YOU KICK THE DOOR A BIT, IT'LL OPEN SESAME so it forces you to rent the in-room safe for $3 per day. (6) Everything advertised here is a gimmick. And I mean everything.

Pros: Right next to the beach. Perfect location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lee_alex
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were disappointed to learn that you had a less than exceptional experience with us. Our daily amenity fee includes high speed internet via Ethernet, (WiFi is currently being added to the guest rooms), daily newspaper, local & toll free calls, unlimited DVD and game rentals from our kiosk, and use of the in room safe. We are sorry that you did not find value in our amenities. Our Valet service is designed to better accommodate our guests. It takes approximately 15 minutes to retrieve the vehicle. Due to the one way streets around our hotel and occasional heavy traffic, it is possible to take longer than expected. Our rate of $27 daily is the lowest on Kalakaua Avenue. Also, we are sorry if you felt that our hotel was not secure. The doors on our guest rooms lock each time the door shuts, and if there was a problem with the lock we hope it was reported as our Maintenance staff would have immediately fixed the problem. In addition, we use surveillance in common areas, have a secure elevator system, and employ an excellent security team to ensure the safety of our guests and their property. On behalf of the hotel, we are sorry for the confusions and the inconveniences. We hope you had a lovely time visiting beautiful Waikiki- Mahalo.