“Not a typical 4*, but It'll do”

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
california
“Not a typical 4*, but It'll do”
Reviewed July 19, 2003

Spent over a week at this hotel in July 2003. Overall this place was decent but it is definitely not the four seasons for all you selective hotel guests like me. Staff was very nice and accomodating. We switched rooms a couple of times. We originally booked mauka tower but upgraded before we got there so I really cant comment on the rooms there. Had a partial view room on the opposite side of the pool. Had to step out on a very small balcony to get a good look and it overlooked other hotel rooms and some pipes. We changed rooms the same day.Then had a oceanfront room on the 18th floor. Wonderful view. Advice, If you do get an ocean front room ask for a corner room ( I believe the 29 and 34 numbers) There are only 2 on each floor and they are the bigger rooms.
If you look at the floor plan inside your room door you will see what I mean. We then changed back to partial view(requested poolside) because we were visiting family all day and didnt get good use of the oceanview anyhow with the extra charge. Poolside rooms are better. Decent view but a little more noise if you dont mind. There is nightly music that you can hear and we had 2 small children who went to bed early so it was a little loud. Other advise, make sure you dont get the room that is right in front of the employee access door(there is one on every floor) its right by the ice machine. The employees go through there at all hours and that door slams very loud. I finally had to call the front desk at 2am because the noise kept waking me and my children up.
They didnt let the door slam the rest of the night(unfortunately our last night there) Also check your lanai's for debris. Our first room had lots of broken glass that was not cleaned and my 1 yr old went to pick it up. Bathrooms could be cleaner. Paint and tile was chipped.
Beaded curtains were kind of a nuisance with the kids pulling them.They are irresistable to kids. Rooms are small. Ocean front views are bigger. I was dissapointed with the food from Tiki's Bar and Grill despite other reviews. They have partial room service ie: they can send up one salad but not another or only certain appetizers. So we finally just went down to order(they wouldnt take our order by phone) then wait for the food and bring it up to our room. Wolfgang Pucks food was very good. Breakfast was okay. Good for the kids with easy foods (cereal,milk,fruit,pastry etc). Hotel has a great waikiki location if you want to be in the middle of everything. Definitely not a quiet hotel if your looking for some good R&R. Valet parking only can get annoying at times but there is no other choice. Free beach chairs and towels were a plus. All in all it was okay. A little too busy for my taste but again I did have two small children and we were visiting family and not really spending time at the hotel doing the tourist stuff.

6 Thank travelmomca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 8, 2003

My Husband and I stayed at the Aston Wakiki Beach Hotel, June 14 to June 21, 2003 The hotel was very clean and very nice. We enjoyed both of there new restraunts the tiki bar and wolfgang puck's bistro. The B.O.B. was very good and many different things were on it everydaywe both enjoyed are stay here and maybe we will come back very soon The staff members were very couterous and very nice

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2003

True, this is NOT a 4-star hotel, but don't let that deter you. My wife and I attended a wedding and took along our infant daughter (the three boys were left on the mainland). A week before leaving, I read some of the current reviews and prepared myself for the worst. My worries were unnecessary! No doubt, if I paid the full rack rate and arrived expecting the Ritz-Carleton, I would have blown someone's head off; but I did not travel to Hawaii to stay either in the hotel lobby or in the room. I wanted a nice room, the best view possible, and convenience. I got all three!The Hotel:It is located directly across from Waikiki Beach. Cross two lanes of traffic and the opposite sidewalk and you're on the beach. The pool is very nice with a large deck surrounding it. There is an outside bar approximately thirty feet from the pool, and there is plenty of umbrella-covered tables that wrap around the pool side of the hotel all the way to the beachside. Since the pool and seating area is on the second level, there is a great view of the water no matter where you are. The check-in desk is located adjacent to the pool area and is open-air (which explains the background noise that I heard when I called the hotel prior to arriving). I peeked into a few of the partial ocean view rooms and they all seemed to be similar to one another. In my opinion, the higher the floor, the better ... but that is a matter of preference. We stayed in Room 1934. I would strongly recommend reseving this room. It is an OCEAN VIEW room on the 19th floor. In addition, since it is a corner room, you overlook both the beach and the pool. Another added benefit is that it is more private than the centrally located ocean view rooms; in those rooms, one can peek around the balcony partition to see in the room next door. The corner rooms on the opposite side overlook both the beach and a large park. Regardless of whether you get a corner room, it is worth paying extra to get one with a full ocean view. Since the rooms face south, the balconies stay shaded until around 2 p.m. and are very comfortable temperaturewise. You can also leave the sliding glass doors open without cooking inside the room. In the evening, there is a gorgeous view of the sun as it sets behind the western mountains. If you haven't already figured it out, the most impressive aspect of the room was the balcony/view. (Like the rest of the hotels in Waikiki, the balconies in this hotel are small (about 7'x4') and there is only one chair out there.) The room itself is rather garishly decorated (the interior decorator must have been color blind), but then again where else do they wear Hawaiian shirts. Unless you are incredibly uptight, you'll laugh about it for two minutes, then walk out onto the balcony and all but forget what the room looks like. The room itself was clean (recall that we had an infant crawling around the floor), but the neither the carpet nor the wallpaper appeared to have been part of the thirty million dollar renovation. There is no separate vanity or dressing area. The bathroom was clean. There were only three drawers in the dresser, so if you pack heavy you'll have to leave some stuff in your suitcase or put it on the shelf in in the closet. Beds were comfortable, linens were clean, and the obnoxious bedspread was new.Food:The hotel does not have room service, although you might be able to get the in-house restaurant to deliver lunch or dinner to the room; we never asked. On the pool level, the restaurant (Tiki's) had excellent food. As an appetizer, get the Nachos, it serves three people -- and my wife, who's from West Texas, said that they are among the best she's ever had. We ate lunch there one afternoon and the food and the service were excellent. Again the view from the balcony tables is wonderful, but the restaurant's interior was definitely part of the renovation ... very nice. At the street level of the hotel, there is a Wolfgang Puck's. Being from Louisiana, I'd never been to one. Again, the food was excellent (rotisserie chicken, gourmet pizza, salads, deli sandwiches). It is not a restaurant, per se; you order at a counter and are handed a beeper. You can eat inside, at the street level tables, or you can walk upstairs and eat beside the pool. Average entree price at either place is around $9 (reasonable in Waikiki). The "Breakfast on the Beach" is a nice touch. Don't expect fine cuisine, the food is packaged so that it can be carted to the beach or to your room. Unless your tastes are very narrow, you'll find something that you'll like. The cinnamon rolls are dynamite, the hash browns range from good to greasy, the Miso soup runs out too quick (because it's good), the french toast sticks are very good, the breakfast bagels (egg & sausage) are okay, and the sausage & egg tortillas are okay. There was never a line when I went down. According to my wife, the fresh fruit with coconut yogurt was excellent (that too, ran out early).Convenience:The International Marketplace is about six blocks away. You can negotiate jewelry prices and get good deals on t-shirts, if that is your bent. (If you want to buy novelty items and get a great deal on everything ranging from Macedamia nuts to clothing, skip the IM and go to the "Swap Meet" at the Aloha Stadium. Vendors sell everything dirt-cheap there and it was recommended to us by about ten locals. It's open on the weekend and on Wednesdays and is about a fifteen minute drive from the hotel or only two minutes away from Pearl Harbor.) There are restaurants and stores all around the hotel so you don't really need to rent a car. If you do rent a car, splurge and get a convertible -- believe me, it's worth it. Waikiki is NOT Hawaii; it is crowded and metropolitan. If you want to see the island's beauty, drive to the end of H-1 or one of the coastal roads.The Staff:Contrary to some of the other reviews I have read, I found that the staff bent over backwards to help us. I asked for a higher floor, they moved us. The maid (Nora) came back to vacuum our room a second time when our baby crushed some crackers and spread them on the floor around her. Keith at the front desk quizzed us on what we were looking for in a restaurant (ambiance, food, view, etc...) and then called three different ones to check the wait since we had a child with us. Bottom line, everyone smiled -- no scowls, no looks of unhappiness; if the other reviews are accurate, we must have enjoyed some good kharma.Overall Value:Our rate was outrageously low ($157.00 per night, INCLUDING TAX) during our stay (6/29/03 - 7/3/03). This alone told me the hotel was not a four star, overhead would preclude such rates. The rest of our family was staying at the Radisson Prince Kuhio. By comparison the PK had a beautiful lobby, the rooms and balconies were similar in size to AWBH, and PK had room service. The AWBH's pool area was better, it was right on the beach (PK was 1 block off). The view from PK's ocean view rooms was partially obstructed by the Marriot; AWBH's ocean view rooms were completely unobstructed. PK's rates were higher. PK had coffee maker in room and a mini-fridge; AWBH had mini-fridge in room, but no coffee maker. PK's room decor was more pleasing to the eye. PK had the more traditional buffet line, but AWBH's Breakfast on the Beach was more fun. I recommend scouring the internet for good rates. We booked through a local agency (Hawaii Aloha Travel - go2hawaii) which I found on the net, and it could not have gone more smoothly. In fact, the rate I got through HAT was $45.00 PER NIGHT lower than the closest competitor. I didn't look at any of the rooms in the Mauka Tower, so I can't comment on whether it would be a good move to book those rooms. If you can get an ocean view at $200 (plus tax) a night, I still think that it's a no-brainer.

57 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2003

I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel for 4 nights May 24-28 with two of my friends. It's beachfront location and BOB (free breakfast on the beach) were great! We were able to save more money a this beautiful beachfront hotel because of its great location than we woudl have in a shabbier off beach condo. I will definately return!

London
Reviewed June 24, 2003

Stayed at the Waikiki Beach from 15-22 June, and its major selling point is it's great beach-side location, affording terrific views across the entire Waikiki Beach area. The other plus points are the helpful staff, and good food/service in Tiki's restaurant.

On the down side, I can only agree with a previous reviewer that the hotel is basically a glorified motel, and should not be worthy of 4 stars. The rooms (although clean & presentable) are quite small, and there was not enough space to accommodate even 2 persons' clothing.

The 'Breakfast on the Beach' concept was, in my opinion, a total rip-off, as the food supplied was comparable to the rubbish airlines dispense as 'breakfast', making you yearn for freshly cooked fare.

The pool was also quite small, although there were plently of sunbeds and chairs available, it was necessary to time your visit if you wanted to swim.

In summary, if I were to use the hotel again, I would get a room in the Mauka Tower, as I believe these rooms are not only cheaper, but also bigger, and don't provide 'Breakfast on the Beach' (much better to use the numerous nearby outlets for something fresher and cheaper).

• Stayed June 2003
8 Thank The_Coach55
Reviewed June 23, 2003

My friend and I stayed here from June 9th - 16th and had no major problems. The service and general atmosphere of the place is wonderful.
Breakfast food was good and well worth it although we did get a little tired of it by the end of our trip. Tiki's restaurant is fantastic!

My only complaint would be the size of the room and the bathroom. The carpet was old and stained and the bathroom floor was very grubby looking. Oh and the decor is soooo tacky! But I guess for the amount of time you spend in the room you can deal with it.

If you book a partial ocean view room be sure to request one on the pool side of the hotel otherwise you'll have to lean out of the balcony to see about a foot of ocean.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the hotel, I'll be glad to help.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2003

Our vacation to Waikiki was the week of May 23, 2003. I have tostart by saying, that I am really sad to read about the bad experiencesthat some of the previous reviewers had at this hotel. This is my 7th timeto Waikiki and I truly will never stay anywhere else.This was my first realvacation away from home with my mother and my 2 year old daughter. I haveto first mention that we flew United Airlines, and just want to mentionthat they do not ever allow pre-boarding for passengers with children anylonger. They said that it takes too long. So those of you with car seats toinstall on the plane, take another airline like Hawaiian Airlines, orAloha.First of all, the reception/check-in, desk staff, especially GLENN,was outstanding! They were all so friendly, helpful and professional. Uponcheck-in, we were booked for the Makua Tower which is the budget room withno ocean view, no balcony, and only partially renovated. We had booked thetrip through Expedia, and got an amazing package deal. Upon arrival, weasked how much it would be to upgrade our room to one with a balcony sincethe hotel is ocean front, and it would have been a shame to not be able tofully enjoy the beauty of it. We finally ended up with a gorgeous JuniorSuite, their largest room, full ocean view/ocean front with 2 balconies.Well worth the upgrade! Thanks to Glenn, our new best friend!!The room wason the 15th floor and was VERY LARGE and roomy. It was about 30 feet by12-15 feet. It had a large king size bed and a Queen size sofa sleeper.There was also a desk with a chair, a table for two with two chairs foreating, a mini fridge, a coffee table, and every room has an ironing boardwith iron and also a hair dryer. The room was extremely clean and welldecorated. It definitely has a funky, hip flair to it. I loved it.I alwaysknow when a rooms carpet is clean when you walk in socks throughout theroom each day and your socks are still white on the soles. Sounds strangebut it is true.The bathrooms were clean, especially compared to otherhotels in Waikiki that I have stayed at. I didnt notice any mold or mildewin our bathroom as another reviewer mentioned. Our housekeeping attendantdid a superb job.The hotel does offer room service which is from Tikis Barand Grill downstairs at the poolside. We had room service every night, andthe food is EXCELLENT! The restaurant staff was also very very nice. Theother restaurant on site is Wolfgang Pucks Express, which offers pasta,sandwiches, salads, and some other café eats that were also delicious.Great food there as well. Around the corner within walking distance wasDennys, Starbucks, Coldstones Frozen Yogurt. There is an ABC Store thatcarries just about anything you need just around the corner as well. Allwithin walking distance. So convenient!!If you wanted to book someactivities, Tommy was a great help at the Expedia Tour Desk in the lobby ofthe hotel. Super friendly and patient Oahu local.The breakfast buffet isoffered to all guests except those in the Makua Tower. It was just great.There is a huge assortment of dry cereal and milk, yogurt, pastries likemuffins (my favorite), bagels with cream cheese, cinnamon rolls, Frenchtoast sticks, steamed white rice, miso soup, potstickers, hot egg andham/sausage sandwiches on croissant or bagel, hash browns, breakfastburritos, Chinese almond jello (white with mandarin oranges on top) mostpeople didnt know what this was, but it was to die for! Also there wasfresh fruit and fountain juices like pineapple, orange, guava, lemonade.There was fresh coffee and tea as well.The swimming pool is beautiful andclean. There are these large cushioned loungers to lounge around onsurrounding the pool, which were sooo comfy.This hotel is ideal forfamilies with children because the location is right across from the beach,within walking distance to the Honolulu Zoo and the Waikiki Aquarium. It isat the end of the main strip of hotels on Kalakaua Avenue and so there isno hotel on the far side of you. Makes it nicer and quieter.I willdefinitely stay here again, in fact, we are planning to return there inOctober 2003.Happy Travels!

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member