“Great Beach-Side Value”

Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Jose
“Great Beach-Side Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2003

If you want to be on the beach in Waikiki but don't want to spend a lot of money this is your best bet. The hotel itself is average but we weren't in Hawaii for the hotel - we were there for the beach and this locatio is wonderful. The hotel is right across Kalakaua Ave. from lovely Kuhio Beach (adjacent to Waikiki). The benefit here is the beach - it's actually much nicer than Waikiki. Fewer people, more sand to lay out, nice lanai's, good facilities, vollyball nets and a wonderful park a block away. In addition it's a short walk the the International Marketplace and Waikiki proper so you don't miss out on shopping and partying at Dukes on Friday/Saturday afternoons. In real estate they say "location, location, location" and this hotel has all that. Again, the hotel is average. No room service, older structure (although renovated rooms), smallish rooms, and a below average pool area by Hawaii standards. That said, I'd go here again without pause.

2 Thank borad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2003

We have just returned from The Aston Waikiki On The Beach after ten
days holiday on Oahu. We found the hotel an excellent place to base
ourselves for our trips around Oahu and its location over the road from
the beach and next to the Zoo and Aquarium. The hotel provides a fairly
standard holiday room with no frills, which is all you should expect
for the price. There are two "restaurants" on site which are adequate
and a pool-side bar open all day. We went out almost every evening so
we used one of the restaurants only once but the food was perfectly
acceptable and if we had not wanted to go out each night, we could have
stayed in the hotel to eat without a problem. We had to ask for a
kettle so that we could make hot drinks in the room. However, this was
provided free of charge so no complaints there. We had no problems with
anything at the Waikiki and our partial view room (717) over the pool
had as good a view of the ocean and Waikiki beach that you could ask
for. The "free" breakfast is well worth having and whilst we did not
need to stuff ourselves with everything on offer, we saw plenty of
people who did and no-one questioned it. As we booked through expedia,
we were delighted to find an expedia travel desk at the hotel. "Tommy"
is their rep from Monday thru Thursday. He was excellent. He booked all
our tours and dealt with the occasional problems we had expertly. I
should point out that there were three desks at the hotel but we only
used the expedia one. We booked a coach tour of the island with E Noa
Tours. Their driver, CB or Clarence, was also excellent and
well-recommended.I would recomment this hotel to anyone and advise them
to see Tommy to sort out all their trips. He is especially worth a tip
for his services and we didn't fail him.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2003

Expedia gave this place 4 out of 5 stars. That's funny. How can a hotel that doesn't have room service get 4 stars? At best, this place is a very nice MOTEL. Honestly, it's more like a superficially renovated college dormitory.Our room was small. If your accustomed to the spacious 700 sq.ft. rooms of Las Vegas, you will surely be disappointed. The overall decor looks like it was designed by someone from MTV. That can be good or bad depending on your tastes. Even if you like the decor, the crummy underlayer shows thru.There are painted wood access panels in the bathroom ceiling. The "new" paint is bubbling and cracking where the wall meets the ceiling. Mildew/grime runs rampant in the grout between the 1 inch floor tiles in the bathroom; this should have been the first thing that was axed during the renovation. The carpets are dirty even by hotel standards. I really wonder if the carpet was part of the renovation.It seems that they decided to put $30 million into the flashy comfortors. It's too warm in HI to use comfortors. The door in our room was not sealed properly. Constant wind would howel thru the floor gap providing a breeze for our calves 24 hours a day. Because of the wind noise, we had to put towels at the bottom of the door to get sleep. Not much help since the wind would howel thru the sides and top of the door and rustle the bamboo closet curtain like wooden chimes. Maybe the gale force winds were due to the fact that we were on the 24th floor.As for the view, our room was in the northwestern most corner of the hotel, xx01 series. We got a partial ocean view room and the view was better than expected. I could "check the surf" each morning just by stepping out on the lanai, SWEEET. Or if I was really lazy, I could just look in the mirror and get a reflection of the beach while sitting on the bed.The overall service was pleasant. And the breakfast was palatable. Nothing to die for, but it's free and there's a large selection to make most people happy. If you can't be American. There's usually breakfast bagel/croissant sandwiches or burritos, quiche, hash browns, miso soup, steamed rice, potstickers, cinammon rolls, french toast sticks, selection of fruit juices and sodas. Really, what did you expect as free breakfast at a dormitory? Lobster and filet mignon?Aston Waikiki Beach = MTV Dormitory.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2003

When I booked this hotel, it had recd numerous positive reviews. We were not disappointed. We splurged for the ocean view room and loved it. Our room was not large but big enough for 2 people. How much room do people need anyway? Our room had 2 double beds, a table with 2 chairs, and the TV, refrigerator, dresser ensemble. The lanai looked right out on the ocean and we had a great view of all of Waikiki. Most people with ocean front rooms were there to watch the sunsets. Worth the extra money. It was so relaxing sitting out on the lanai just watching the surfers and boogie boarders. We were close to everything but on the end of the strip so didn't have all the noise and commotion other hotels got. We found that closing the lanai door and shutting the curtain blocked out nearly all of the street noise. The breakfast on the beach was okay. Not great food but good enough to fill you up. We particularly liked the miso soup and the Japanese "pot stickers". There was always cereal, a warm breakfast sandwich, quiche, tiny bagels and muffins, sweet rolls, fruit, yogurt and a jello concoction. The food at the Tiki bar and grill was great. There was always entertainment at 4:00 and 9:00. The hotel was not full the week we stayed so it might get kind of crazy later but we found we always had good service. The staff at the activities desk were very helpful and patient with questions. We enjoyed ourselves very much and would go back.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2003

I stayed at the Aston 3/03, and loved every minute of it! It was great! The BOB was superb, and the open air feeling was so fun. I'll go back again and again!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2003

I just got back from the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel yesterday and I didn't think it was all that bad. I booked my trip through Pleasant Holidays and had initally requested a partial ocean view room. When I got there it was infact a partial ocean view but the majority of the view was of another hotel's roof. The front desk gladly allowed us to upgrade our room to an ocean view on the pool side of the hotel for $30 a night, which I thought well worth it. The view from my 22nd floor room was a good one. I was happy to spend the extra money. It was not a huge room. But it was big enough for the three of us to stay in there comfortably. The beds were comfortable, and I had no complanits about getting cold or sheets not fitting. I did notice that the bathrooms were not exactly spectacular but I wasn't grossed out by them or unable to handle the small paint cracks. I get grossed out easily so if this was something unbareable I would have complained. Unlike other reviews I've read on this hotel I thought the Breakfast on the Beach was disgusting. I ate it beacause it was free and I was hungry but if I could have easily gone somewhere else I would have. There was limited sitting at the pool deck for breakfast but if we wanted to eat on our balcony we were forced to fight off the birds. We never used the pool. The beach is right acrossed the street so I didn't see any need for it. Plus the ocean water was warmer than the pool anyways. We did enjoy the pool furniture though. They had huge bed like pieces for you to lay on which were nice when we hung out there at night. You can't beat the hotel's location it's a convienient walk to a ton of shopping including the International Marketplace. My one major complaint was that during our entire stay there was endless contruction happening across the street. They starting working every day at 7:30 so we never got to sleep in. All of the trolleys, buses, and other transporation is right near by if not in front of the hotel. I have stayed at several hotels and this waeither. I would recomend it to someone who is slightly younger. The girls that I went with and I are all in our 20's. I believe it definitely caters to a younger crowd. It's not too ritzy or uptight. If you want a nice place to relax and enjoy your trip I would without a doubt recommend this hotel. I had a great time and I think anyone that makes the best of anything would as well. If anyone has any other questions feel free to e-mail me. I'd be glad to help you.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Long Beach, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2003

Just got back from Oahu (May 18th). After reading about the 30 milliion renovation, I thought we were going to be in a new looking hotel. We were wrong! The rooms were very tiny. If you request and ocean view, you might still be disappointed with your view because unless you get real lucky, you will need to step out of your balcony to see the ocean. From the look of the hotel, the renovation took place maybe 10 years ago. Our bathroom had mold on the ceiling. After checking out 2-4 different rooms, we ended up paying extra to get the junior suite, which is actually the size of a standard room elsewhere. The breakfast was good, but after the 5th day, we kind of got sick of it. Tiki's Bar and Grill had excellent food and service. The location was good. Overall, I think this hotel is not worth the price they charge.

6 Thank Adamsmommy