“Fisher Family”

Ranked #73 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Mailtand
“Fisher Family”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family and I recently had a 14 night stay at the Aqua Pearl and must say it was a very pleasant experience. It was our first time visiting the island and our stay is wanting us to return in the future. The hotel is a family friendly hotel and is clean and comfortable. We stayed on the 6th floor and found it was good for the noise factor, the higher the better. Of course you will get garbage truck noise , cant avoid that. You pay for what you get. It is not a five star hotel, so don't stay here if your looking for glitz and glamour. A huge positive is that the Aqua Pearl is very central to every day needs, Food Pantry in next block, Star Bucks on the corner for wonderful coffee, International markets across the road, beach just a short walk. The staff are of the upmost friendly people I have ever met ( Charity, Rachel, Eric , Harry just to name a few) they are all very inviting people. All in all, our stay with our 3 children was excellent and will stay here again. Well worth it. A+++++++++++

Room Tip: Higher floor less noise
3 Thank Belinda F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at a different Aqua hotel last year and I chose Aqua Pearl this year based on the location and good reviews from Trip Advisor. I have to admit, most reviews are correct. The hotel is really well-located. It's closed to the bus and trolley stops. A grocery store and a popular Japanese udon are just a block away. It's a long walk to the beach anyway. Staffs at Aqua Pearls are much friendlier than those at the other Aqua hotel I stayed last year. I booked the junior suite, so the room was quite large. Beds were clean and comfortable. Bathroom was clean too. After 10pm, the hotel entrance is closed and guests have to use to scan the room access card to enter the hotel. I think it's a plus. I like free Wi-Fi access in the room and the free Apple computer at the lobby for everyone to use. The only cons I found are the hotel is quite noisy in early morning due to the garbage pickup trucks even though my room was on 8th floor. There are limit parking space and they charge $23/day and they don't have a pool. I myself prefer the beach than the pool.

Overall, my family really enjoyed our time at Aqua Pearl. If you're looking for a luxury hotel, then Aqua Pearl is not for you. If you're looking for clean hotel, comfortable bed in a central location, then you should try Aqua Pearl out. I definitely return to Aqua Pearl for my next trip to Oahu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at higher level and pay a bit extra to get the Junior suite. The room size is almost...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NguyenFamily
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel because we were going on a cruise the next day. For the money, this is a very great hotel. I booked this hotel on the Aqua Waikiki Pearl website and got a 20% discount. Rooms our very clean and it is in a perfect location. I had no complaints. I did not hear any club noise from outside the room. Elevators worked fine. I rate this hotel 4.5 and if I come back to Hawaii I would really consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KevS27
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is the place you want to stay if you are going to Hawaii on a budget.
The room are clean and a bit small but you don't need much sinces you will spend your time outside. The staff are really nice and helpful, don't hesitate to ask them anything.
The hotel is very well located. This is a grocery store in walking distance.
The only thing I badly missed was a pool.
This is not a luxury hotel but I didn't pay for one either.

Room Tip: Upper level, 6 ans up, less noisy
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our family of six stayed in a three bedroom apartment, and was very clean and comfortable. The apartment looked like it had been recently renovated, with main bathroom and ensuite to the main. Air conditioning was vey good also, with split systems in two bedroms and lounge/kitchen. Value was fantastic, and a great location, only metres from the international market and a five minute to the beach.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, so very little noise from the street. Good laundry with dryers on the thir...
1 Thank Robert G
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

First, like the other reviewers have said, request a higher floor. The first night we were on the 5th floor and I actually cried at about 3am as I was so tired and there was just loads of noise echoing up between all the buildings. We had also booked a king but ended up with 2 doubles (how's that for our romantic get away?). We were moved farther up for the remainder of the week and had the daily garbage truck noise, but otherwise not bad.
It's very basic and housekeeping leaves a bit to be desired (vacuum anyone?). There is no view to speak of - just buildings and parking lots. If you have difficulty with stairs, there seems to be ongoing drama with at least one of the elevators and there were long waits.
That said, the bed was clean and the location made for easy walking to the beach, markets and shopping. The day staff were very helpful in recommending and arranging attractions and shuttles for us. Also note that you need your key to enter the lobby at night.
If you're looking for romance, pay more elsewhere - it'll be worth it.

Room Tip: Request a room on a top floor!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milford, Ma
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and son who flew in from Los Angeles stayed here for 3 days in February 2013, a stay that was cut short due to a blizzard in Boston. The hotel is located in downtown Honolulu about a 10 minute walk to Waikiki beach. Parking was sparse, only about 20 spaces but we managed to get a spot each evening. Yea the area is lively and a bit loud but it is downtown Honolulu and there is a bar that is adjacent to the hotel. We stayed on the 6th floor. Rooms were clean but not big. The television was rather small. There was an IHOP about 12 minutes away for breakfast. Each room has a large window probably 6x9 feet. As we were walking to our room around midnight on the first night after a 12 hour flight, we walked by a room that had the drapes open wide. There was a young couple having sex on he bed. Oh well, kids on vacation which was not really the fault of the hotel. What happened next was a little troubling. On the second day after returning from breakfast, we discovered that our son's laptop was missing from the room. We immediately notified the front desk and we later filed a report with the Honolulu police. The staff was helpful in the matter but denied that it would have been any them who took the laptop. Did we accidently leave the door ajar? Did someone from the hotel take it? Was it taken by a professional thief? We probably will never know what happened. Our son is presently working with the hotel's insurance company on the matter. In all fairness to the hotel, other than the 2 incidents just described, we were happy with the hotel and its accomadations. Dexter was great in helping us with a cancellation of the first night due to the blizzard and as stated, the staff was courteous and helpful with our son concerning his laptop.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family