“Great Hospitality”

Pearl Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #74 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We traveled to Honolulu in March to board a cruise ship on Saturday and stayed at the Waikiki Pearl Hotelon Friday before the cruise and on Staturday after the cruise . I made reservations for a room for our son and his wife and their 10- year-old grandaughter and one for my husband and myself through the internet and got a verification immediately. I always have apprehensions before I arrive at a hotel when I make the reservations via the internet. I called the hotel to see if they had transportation from the airport and they said that they didn't but gave me information regarding transportation and I felt very comfortable when we arrived at the airport . As I was talking to the man on the phone , I mentioned that our great-granddaughter was coming with us anrd that I would like for her to get a lei when we got there and asked him if he could arrange it for me. He said that he would and when we got to the hotel, he had an orchid lei for each of us and wouldn't take any pay for them. I so appreciated this gesture especially because it made it so special for our great-granddaughter.

The accodomations were very nice and we had adjoining rooms. When we returned we planned to rent a car and they reserved a parking space for us. The fee was $20. but it was convenient and less than some of what the other hotels charged. The hotel is located across the street from the International Market and we enjoyed shopping there after we came in from sightseeing. We didnt walk to the beach but the hotel was about three or four blocks from the beach.

It isn't a new, fancy hotel but it was a very good experience and I would stay there again.

Harriett Tate

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank hmt927

Reviewed April 4, 2011

A boutique hotel near Waikiki Beach, great central location. My room was spacious and immaculate. Simple, nothing fancy, just what I wanted, including a good price. All the amenities were there -- the small fridge, coffee-maker and microwave were very useful, because Waikiki is expensive. There was a small balcony, where I enjoyed breakfast coffee. The welcome was pleasant. With beautiful beaches and so much to do, it was just right!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for less street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Nanotchka
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We have been going to Hawaii for 32 years and stayed at quite a few different hotels. 2 were in the "Never again" category, most were adequate and a couple were great for us. The fact that we have stayed at the Pearl for our last four trips (through all the renovations and 2 name changes) speaks for itself. We are budget travellers who prefer 2 weeks at a modest place to 4 days at a luxury resort. You don't sleep in the fancy foyer, my husband can't swim, so a pool or being on the beach aren't on our list of priorities but spacious rooms, comfy beds and a clean bathroom and a large balcony are.
There is a fridge, microwave and coffee maker in each room, with a supermarket down the block so we especially enjoyed sitting on the lanai in our pyjamas eating breakfast at our leisure, reading the free newspaper and watching the world go by, as opposed to having to get up and dressed and down to the restaurant by a certain time for a ho hum buffett in a crowd.
There are numerous eating places within a block or two. The bus stop is 2 minute walk away and the beach about 7. You ask at the front desk for a beach towel and just drop it in the laundry basket next to the lift on your return (no charge).
There is a computer in the foyer and wi-fi in all the rooms for laptops (also free).
With a laundry on site (not free) we found the Pearl ideal for our 4 week stay. The staff were excellent and friendly without exception, and the deal we got as return guests was the icing on the cake. Will we be back again? Too right!

Room Tip: Get out of Waikiki sometimes
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed at the aqua Waikiki Pearl hotel in Hawaii....the employee Harry at the front desk was so helpfull in so many ways and his kindness made our stay more enjoyable. Also the maid, Rowena on the 10th floor was very honest and kind a pleasure to see 5 days a week. her work was good and appreciated.

2  Thank sweet_toes35
Reviewed March 26, 2011

With a kamaaina rate, the Waikiki Wave and Pearl are great deals. The rooms are very large, clean with all you will need. Harry at the front the desk is charming and quick. Location was helpful, a few steps from bus stop, and a couple blocks from great shopping and dining.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank GodsKids
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We chose to stay at the Aqua Pearl as had a good experience with another of the Aqua hotel chain the last time we were in Waikiki - the Aqua Continental which is currently closed for renovations. This is a very good value hotel. Walking distance to Waikiki. Very helpful staff, we arrived on a flight early in the morning and were able to check in early. Clean and tidy room, mirrored windows for privacy, good amenities - safe, bathroom products, air conditioning. Will definitely stay again.

1  Thank NZ_traveller_2011
Reviewed March 18, 2011

the hotel reception was nice and clean, the first room we went in smelt musty, so we paid to be upgraded, just so we could be moved,we were moved to the front of the hotel, lovely room no smell this time! probably because it had a balcony. if you want a nice quiet holiday do not pick this hotel? it lets anyone in for 1 night stays and they are not quiet. would not visit waikiki again its a young persons place.

2  Thank gambialoveit
AquaWaikikiPearl, Manager at Pearl Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Aloha gambialoveit,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I'm sorry that you felt our property and Waikiki was noisy. Waikiki is an urban environment, and with that comes the hustle and bustle of city life, including noise. We cannot discriminate against guests based on age or length of stay, and most Waikiki hotels fill up on weekends with people who like to enjoy the night life which is nearby.

In any case, I'm glad that you found our rooms and reception nice and clean.

Should your travels return you to Hawaii outside of Waikiki, I'd be happy to help you find accomodations at one of our lovely resorts on the neighbor islands. Please feel free to contact me.

Again, thanks for your review .

Kalei Lyman