“Great value”

Ranked #73 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Kigali, Rwanda
“Great value”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

With a kamaaina rate, the Waikiki Wave and Pearl are great deals. The rooms are very large, clean with all you will need. Harry at the front the desk is charming and quick. Location was helpful, a few steps from bus stop, and a couple blocks from great shopping and dining.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GodsKids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Korean first
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We chose to stay at the Aqua Pearl as had a good experience with another of the Aqua hotel chain the last time we were in Waikiki - the Aqua Continental which is currently closed for renovations. This is a very good value hotel. Walking distance to Waikiki. Very helpful staff, we arrived on a flight early in the morning and were able to check in early. Clean and tidy room, mirrored windows for privacy, good amenities - safe, bathroom products, air conditioning. Will definitely stay again.

1 Thank NZ_traveller_2011
uk
Reviewed March 18, 2011

the hotel reception was nice and clean, the first room we went in smelt musty, so we paid to be upgraded, just so we could be moved,we were moved to the front of the hotel, lovely room no smell this time! probably because it had a balcony. if you want a nice quiet holiday do not pick this hotel? it lets anyone in for 1 night stays and they are not quiet. would not visit waikiki again its a young persons place.

2 Thank gambialoveit
AquaWaikikiPearl, Manager at Aqua Waikiki Pearl, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Aloha gambialoveit,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I'm sorry that you felt our property and Waikiki was noisy. Waikiki is an urban environment, and with that comes the hustle and bustle of city life, including noise. We cannot discriminate against guests based on age or length of stay, and most Waikiki hotels fill up on weekends with people who like to enjoy the night life which is nearby.

In any case, I'm glad that you found our rooms and reception nice and clean.

Should your travels return you to Hawaii outside of Waikiki, I'd be happy to help you find accomodations at one of our lovely resorts on the neighbor islands. Please feel free to contact me.

Again, thanks for your review .

Kalei Lyman
Hotel Manager
Lacey, WA
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Room was clean, had a microwave, refer, and coffee pot. Beds were comfortable.

A bit away from the beach, but real close to shops and places to eat. We were on 10th floor and it was quiet. We enjoyed our stay.

Downside, no gym, no swimming pool, and ice was on 7th floor.

2 Thank beachbum201111
Saskatoon
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Centrally located in Waikiki. Close to everything; bus stops, restaurants, International Market Place, beach, trolleys, etc.

Hotel was clean and comfortable with all the basic necessities covered. No breakfast or restaurant, although all were close to the hotel. In room internet access is wired and for some reason, when I connected it gave me a virus. Wireless internet access is available in the lobby. That worked well. Room came with a digital safe, microwave, and small fridge. They all came in handy. Room was clean and the beds were confortable. Bathrooms were clean and looked modernized. The sink was set a bit high. All in all a nice place to stay and of particular good value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Aiea
Reviewed February 16, 2011

As a local I've pretty much stayed at all the hotels Oahu has to offer, yet I always return to Waikiki Pearl. I ♥ their staff, Mike, Harry, Priscilla and their friendly, outgoing manager Kalei Lyman. Each time I stay there whether its been a month or a year ago they always remember me. This time they prepared for my arrival and had a parking stall already reserved for me! This is special being that they have a limited amount of stalls available. My room was perfect and they even remembered that I like extra pillows, so my room had an extra 3 pillows. A hui hou to the gracious staff and I will see you all again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We had to come to Honolulu for three weeks on business. We received very short notice. We were unable to find a hotel that had three straight weeks availbable, until we called the Aqua Pearl. So we took four rooms. We rented a car at the airport and drove to the hotel.

There were only 20 parking spots in the back of the hotel. The hotel has probably 200 - 300 rooms. We felt lucky there was one available when we got there and we parked our car. We parked there the first two nights we were there.

But when we woke up at 5 am on our third day there, we saw that our rental car had been booted. I called the front desk and they said that we had to pay to park there and that I could get the boot off for $50. They also asked "didn't you SEE all the reserved signs in the parking lot????". I replied "well yes I did, I thought they meant reserved for hotel guests". But their tone with me was far from customer-service oriented. They acted like I was crazy for being upset that they booted my car for being parked in their lot.

We were never asked at check-in if we had a car. If we had been asked, they could have informed us about the parking situation at the hotel, instead of BOOTING one of their guest's car. We live in the U.S. mainland, so we're not used to hotels charging us to park at their hotel.

I just think it's very sorry customer service to just boot one of your guest's car without any warning, then tell them they have to pay $50 to have it taken off. It makes me feel like this is used as another avenue for profit.

Besides that, the hotel isn't that nice. I was disappointed already when I saw what it looked like. Then to have the hotel boot my rental car without warning and tell me I have to give them $50 to get it taken off.!! I heard it was just renovated, so I really wonder what it must have looked like before. It's in a seedy-looking area.

The walls are not very soundproof at all. If anyone within five doors of you shuts the door to their room, it's loud enough to make you jump. So you better be a heavy sleeper.

I'll post pics later of the 20-car parking lot and the front & back of the hotel so you can see for yourself.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank TeamLee123
AquaWaikikiPearl, Manager at Aqua Waikiki Pearl, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Aloha TeamLee123,

Mahalo (Thank you) for taking the time to post a review.

It is true that parking at the Waikiki Pearl is very limited. We have twenty-two stalls for 131 rooms. Real estate is a premium in Waikiki, and we simply do not have enough room to add more parking. We also choose to boot cars rather than towing them (which is a common practice in Waikiki) to save the expense and hassle of retrieving a towed vehicle. Having said this, if you’d like to contact me directly, I’d be happy to refund your parking boot fee.

Should your travels return you to Hawaii, I’d be happy to help you reserve a hotel that better suits your needs. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Thanks again for your review.

Kalei Lyman