WINNER WONDERLAND

The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection
Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Drip drip vroom vroom”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Pros: in waikiki, free wifi, free breakfast

Cons: rooms are run down with dripping taps, broken ceilings, worn out carpet, cigarette burned counters (think motel 8). Extremely noisy with club crowd- music and cars racing up and down adjacent carpark and police up and down alley breaking up action.

Can't recommend if you are planning on sleeping here

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Whittier, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned home after a one week stay at The Aqua Waikiki Wave. As always, the employees working the desk, housekeeping and bell desk were amazing. I visit often and have chosen "The Wave" as my home away from home. Although the rooms are perfect, centrally located near shopping, restaurants and the most beautiful beach in Waikiki........it is the staff that brings me back to The Aqua Waikiki Wave. They are friendly, helpful, professional and just fun! They are my Hawaii ohana when I am in Waikiki. I highly recommend staying at the Aqua Waikiki Wave when visiting Waikiki.

Room Tip: Book a higher floor facing the ocean for the best stay.
Albion Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a value for money hotel, you arrive on the door step James always greets you with a big smile, the check in staff were efficient, unfortunately during our stay the elevators were under renovation so waiting for elevators was par for the course on this stay,but will be great once they have finished, this hotel is located on Dukes lane so easy walk to the beach and the Cheesecake Factory :).

Room Tip: Get a higher level room
denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I loved the hotel, location, and all amenities. However, Kisha the desk clerk put me right off from the start. After she bullied the sweet male desk clerk out of the way, she needlessly made me wait exactly twelve minutes, until 3 p.m. while she checked other guests in. Then she assigned me a room on the 5th floor (one of two elevators out of service) that was already occupied. Tramp, tramp, tramp down the stairs, to be reassigned to a room on the 3rd floor, also already occupied. Tramp, tramp, tramp down the stairs again. Rather than continue with that aerobic workout by trying a third room, I found a sympathetic ear in the bellman, who agreed with me and removed the luggage from room number two, making it mine. Yay! Thanks bellman!
During this evolution, I fully agreed with Kisha's mantra that "This shouldn't have happened", but when she wanted me to sit and presumably go to the back of the queue, I had to speak up.
Having finally gotten an unoccupied room for my one-week reservation, I thought all was well. Sadly, by day four, my key no longer worked. No problem, I thought, tramp, tramp, tramp down the stairs where I found Kisha, who recoded my key, but not before rudely dressing me down for carelessly putting my key near a cellphone, magnet, or any other source of powerful electromagnetic waves in my purse (!) This was particularly hurtful and insulting, as I travel for a living and spend half my nights in hotels, NOT erasing my hotel keys. This scene was repeated every night after that, (really) for my last three nights in the hotel. Way past hoping for any hint of an apology, I was reduced to hoping Kisha didn't sabotage me in some other way.
Again, I loved the property, the location, and the rest of the kind and helpful staff. Kisha, however, singlehandedly reduced my rating from a five to a three.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank christine r
Springfield, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

My mom (89) and I, her 66 year old son, stayed 3 nights and when we returned 2 PM from a morning at the Arizona Memorial Saturday March 2, 2013 we discovered our four pieces of luggage were already moved to the Pride of America Cruise ship WITHOUT US at 12:30 PM, so we were desperate for a shuttle to take us there as soon as possible, boarding passengers until 5 PM.

James W. was on duty at the Aqua Waikiki Wave that afternoon starting at 1 PM, so he sized up our situation and offered to transport my Mom and I directly to the ship in HIS PERSONAL VEHICLE. Taking charge of the situation, he went to the parking ramp and soon his dark red Jeep Cherokee appeared directly in front of the hotel and he loaded up my mom's roller walker and the two of us and sped off to the ship.

Along the way he amazed us with his frank assessment of the economic state of things in Waikiki and Honolulu. His personality and communication skills made us wonder why he didn't have a higher position in the hotel. We were impressed with this guy! He really is an "undiscovered gem".

So he became our savior of the moment and instant personal friend! On top of that, he insisted to not accept any payment of his services after he unload us at the pier!

Now into what category do you put such a person? I don't think you can find it on the five-circle rating diagram above!

Now honestly tell me, WHERE CAN A STRANGER GET ANY BETTER PERSONAL SERVICE FROM SUCH A DEDICATED EMPLOYEE ??? He was the HIGHLIGHT of HOSPITALITY of our entire 11 day stay in the State of Hawai'i ! WE BOTH WERE EMOTIONALLY MOVED and his memory will not fade away! MAHALO to James W!

I would be most happy to verify everything I wrote above as true and from my heart. My Name is Stephen D. Hottinger and my email is stepdoughott@hotmail.com and I live in Springfield, Missouri, USA.

Room Tip: We had to be on 3rd floor for HANDICAPPED, so the street level noise was very evident, as we were wa...
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Got a room here off Hotwire and we did quite enjoy it for the most part.
The good:
-Location is awesome. Right in the heart of waikiki, walking distance to the beach and about any store you want to go to, and the international market right beside you with shopping, food, and a nice little bar called Tiki Town.
-Staff for the most part were quite helpful and friendly (we did have not so great service checking in where the person failed to mention the free continental breakfast and afternoon snacks, only way we found out was overhearing other people check in the next day as we waited for friends)
-Value for waikiki is quite good
-Lots of noise during the day since it's in a hectic area, but at night we had no issues sleeping (and complimentary ear plugs are provided if needed)

The Bad:
-Parking can be tricky as it is in Waikiki. There is underground parking connected to the hotel (hard to find and not marked from the outside) but it's tough to find a space. They do however have an agreement with a building next door to pay for parking there at the same rate though, It's slightly less convienent, but really parking in waikiki can be awful at the best of times
-Hotel can be tricky to find. We drove around a 4 block area for almost an hour before we finally found the sign (it's a very small sign)
-While the rooms in general are clean, some parts were a little aged and needed some attention. Mainly in the bathroom, some grout lines were kind of gross.
-One elevator was under repair when we were there. To make up for it they did allow guests to use the service elevator, but even with that some wait times to go up or down were quite long.

Seems like my bad list is bigger than the good list, but really those complaints were minor. Overall we enjoyed our time and if we came back to waikiki we would stay there again no problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nworock
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Aqua Waikiki Wave just last week and was pleasantly surprised with it. I found a great last minute deal on their website that I couldn't find on the major hotel search engines so booked directly through them. I requested an upgrade on their website for a discounted price if available upon check in. To my surprise, the upgrade I requested was not available, but an even better room was available, however they honored the lower rate! I stayed in room 1105 which has 2 balconies because it is a corner unit with views to the mountains and partial ocean views. They provided ear plugs due to noise outside. Literally a stones throw from the intl marketplace. Also directly in front of a very popular, delicious and affordable Udon restaurant (currently #3 on tripadvisor of 900+ honolulu restaurants). The room was equipped with a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. They also offered a complimentary breakfast which included coffee, pineapple juice, water, and a couple of kinds of rolls/muffins. Light snacks such as chips and chex mix and juice and water is put out in the lobby in the afternoons. The staff was all very friendly. I would definitely stay here again if I returned. Thank you for a lovely visit!!

• Stayed March 2013