“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Houston, TX
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Aqua Waikiki Wave the night before our cruise and we were very happy with the location. It is very central to many good restaurants, the International Market and Waikiki Beach. The accommodations/lobby/common areas were in need of renovations (and to be fair they were doing some!) but the staff was very friendly and again the location was great. For one night stay, it was perfect but I don't know that I would stay here for multiple nights for a relaxing or romantic vacation.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if your suite will have a beach view (that would be on the south or south west sides...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed here for 7 days, understanding this was reviewed as a 3 star hotel. The first 2 nights were NOT GOOD. The first room I noticed in the first 5 minutes there was roach problems which freaked me out. They seem small so probably just hatched some baby uglies.We immediately left and requested another room which they provided to us same floor on 3rd fl. When we complained about the problem, the person at the front desk said they can move us to a better higher floor room for a additional charge of $25 per day. I thought that was ridiculous when we just saw roaches. The excuse was this is Hawaii Im sorry but we have roaches. Um...I dont think so. Im from NYC and there are roaches in everywhere too. Its up to the buiding to properly terminate critters and prevent them so this is no excuse. I have also traveled to much poorer hotter climates and have never seen this type or problem.

Another problem was there was no cold water. The shower was skin burning. When we complained they said it would be fixed by the time wen we come back. That evening it was not fixed. After 2 days of noise, terrible elevator issues, burning/drying skin from the hot water, and the fear of critters, I had enough. This time I spoke to Issaac who was very understanding of our problems, especially knowing we were stayin 7 days. He immediately fixed our problems and upgraded our room and floor to something more quiet and a high floor. His customer service skills were superb and did not just apologize to us because this is his job. He really solved our problems and saved our vacation.

This hotel has a lot of issues. Noise, crowded, elevator problems, outdated, etc. But the location you cannot beat. Centrally located it has so much potential

Room Tip: Stay in higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at Aqua Bamboo 3 years ago and loved it so we thought we'd try another Aqua property. We stayed here for 8 nights at the end of November 2012.

Property:
Because of a very long travel day for us (got up at 4AM, 7AM flight cancelled after 4 hour delay, rebooked and finally arrived in Hawaii 9 hours later than expected) the first thing I noticed was that the beds were uncomfortable. They are really soft and if you have someone else sleeping with you in the bed you can feel it every time they move. We kind of got used to them though.

About half way through our stay, there seemed to be problems with the plumbing on the room directly above us. There was a loud noise coming from directly above which sounded like someone was sawing something. We called down to the front desk but they let us know that there was a clog in the tub and they were doing maintenance. However, after that incident, our shower pressure seemed to have weakened and it was quite poor by the time we left.

As every other person has mentioned, the elevators were slow and one was under renovation. From the reviews, it seems like they've been renovating over the month. They are certainly in no hurry to get it done.

The hotel is loud, from the automated parking garage next door to the drunk people yelling during and through the night to the garbage trucks dumping multiple trash bins at 5AM. The windows are thin and don't help. Ear plugs are a must and I'm not usually a light sleeper on vacation.

Service:
The front desk staff were fine, except one employee who I asked where we could catch the trolley to Ala Moana Center. He replied by telling us to take the regular bus even though it's $0.50 cents more. He claimed that the trolley only comes once an hour and the $0.50 cents is worth it not to have to wait. Fair enough... except after we left we wanted to check out the trolley anyway and found out the trolley comes once every 10 minutes!!! On another occasion we asked for a beach towel and they had run out. Not impressed, but fine, I guess it happens. We went back up and got towels from the housekeeper. The very next day we were walking out and the same employee is yelling at us saying he has towels today. I understand he's trying to be helpful, but to try and catch our attention as we walk past for something we were looking for the previous day isn't appreciated.

No issues with housekeeping. They did a great job although I found it odd that they left their cleaning cart in the hallway all day everyday (see the picture). Never seen that at any hotel.

Location:
Location-wise, very good. Close to the International Market, a short walk to the beach and across from Marukame Udon, an inexpensive and delicious noodle place.

Overall, I expected better because Aqua Bamboo had set the bar high. Aqua Waikiki Wave's beds are soft and the rooms are noisy. I'd probably search for another hotel on my next visit.

Lastly, I would like to thank William who kindly helped us with our luggage at departure and had a genuine concern when our shuttle was running a bit late.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
WaikikiWave, General Manager at Waikiki Wave, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Aloha and thank you for your candid review.

Please accept my sincere apology that we did not meet your expectation. We are currently doing a $500,000 upgrade to our 3 elevators and modernization taks 6-8 weeks per elevator. To service our guests appropriately, we are using our recently modernized service elevator that runs very efficiently! Therefore we have 2 elevators running for our small hotel which is normally sufficient. Because we are using our service elevator, that is why the housekeeping cart is in the hallway. This also keeps room supplies accessible to our guests after hours as well.

Mahalo again for your feedback.

Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is my 9th time to waikiki and second time I stayed at the aqua wave. The first time I stayed there I didn't have any problems this was about 4 years ago. I recently got back and had various issues with the hotel. First, when a transfer or taxi drops you off you have to hurry off because there is no drop zone, second I arrived very tired about noon and had to wait 2.5 hours more to finally check into my room which wasn't ready at the time. Third, they have two elevators and one was broken so they had to open up a service elevator which was extremely inconvenient because groups of people would be squeezing into an elevator at a time and stopping at every floor some time a 5 minute or more wait to get into a elevator.fourth, I stayed on the 9th floor and hardly got any sleep even though the hotel provides you with ear plugs there are three major night clubs on kuhio one across the street and one right next door and down the street, so from 10p, till 4:30 am there's a lot of noise screaming, shouting, fights, music and not to mention a parking lot right there so there are car lights constantly shinning in the room I know that could've been solved by shutting the curtains but I enjoyed the little view I did have. Also coming home at night after 10 is a little sketchy because there are a lot of drunks and shady looking people hanging around the hotel,my last complaint is the bathroom after a long day at the beach one would want to take a shower but the bathroom had no fan which made showers even hotter, only pro I have for this hotel is the staff they were nice and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank frescobosco
Thank you for your review and for sharing that despite not meeting your expectations in some areas, you did appreciate our friendly employees. Each employee has a sincere interest in making sure that each guest is taken care of and enjoys their stay.

My apologies for not having your room ready upon arrival. We normally run full occupancy and therefore with checkout time at 12 noon, it is difficult to have all rooms ready in the morning for arrival. We do try our best to rush rooms for our international partners who arrive first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, this is an industry challenge for all hotels and unless you book the room the day before, we cannot guarantee rooms ready by 3pm.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights. Thankfully it was no longer. They did provide ear plugs, but not very comfortable to sleep with. Service was very good, and we were able to check in early.
Hotel is very conveniently located, but far too noisy. Planning another trip to Honolulu, and definately not staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here on a friends referral,and not happy at all..both sides of the building face car parks (one is a moving platform that puts your car up at height).my biggest complaint is a garbage truck that comes at 4:30am everyday down below and stays for about an hour making so much noise you WILL be woken up.thought staying o e street of the strip would be quieter but I was wrong because we stayed at the circle on the strip and it was quiet! Also the bottom floors seem to be taken by some permanent residents and there was arguments.slamming doors and even heard a dog barking in one room...just not good enough I say...

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Benstarz
Thank you for your review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectation.

Regarding having permanent residents, that is not true. We do business with the military to assist our honored soldiers when they PCS in or out of Hawaii because of our large and spacious rooms with microwaves, coffee makers and refrigerators. This may take 1 week up to 30 days. The fact that you heard dogs on the low floors is because we are a dog friendly hotel as Hawaii Law now allows pets to fly into Hawaii without quarantine.

Thank you again for your review.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in room 412. It was a bit outdated and facing a carpark but was comfortable enough since we spent the majority of the day out. It was noisy - loud music at night and the early morning garbage truck - but it didn't bother us. We still managed to fall asleep easily without using the complimentary earplugs.

Reception staff and our housekeeper Imelda were fantastic. The free wifi was good but sometimes was super slow, I think due to too many people using it.

The location is really great, so close to everything in Waikiki and on the main strip that all the buses stop at.

I would stay here again if the price was right but if not would try a different hotel.

One more thing! They really need to get a fan in the bathroom, even with the aircon on and door wide open the mirror still got all steamy and foggy.

• Stayed November 2012