My husband and I booked our hotel stay with the Aqua Aloha Surf on 10/6/13 for a stay from 2/28/14-3/7/14. We were very excited about our stay and planned and reserved many activities, restaurants and car rental based on our hotel location.
When we arrived at the Aqua Aloha Surf from an over 6 hour flight from Arizona and were told that they did not have a room for us due to over booking, we were in a huge state of shock. For one, we are both seasoned travelers and luckily have never, ever experienced this and secondly, we never received any advance notice of this by either email or phone. The front desk staff and manager did their job and tried be nice, however it left us with a very uneasy feeling to start our vacation off this way.
In any case, we were given a box of chocolates and told that they reserved a room for us at the Luana hotel located on Kalakaua. Since neither my husband nor myself have ever been to Honolulu, we had no idea what this meant location wise for everything we had planned. However, at this point based on what the people at the hotel were telling us, we hoped to be fine with all we had planned. They paid for our cab and off we went to the Luana, which we knew nothing about.
The front desk staff at the Aqua Aloha Surf told us that the Luana was a better caliber of hotel and we would find it to be an even better stay. So, we arrived at the Luana and were greeted by the front desk. Upon our arrival it became apparent that the staff at the Aqua Aloha Surf only partially notified the front desk at the Luana and so we the displaced travelers, who booked our room almost 5 months before had to go over with the front desk at the Luana our rate, the fact that the Aqua Aloha Surf already charged us for our first night and that they would only be responsible for charging us for 6 nights. We had to review the rate we were going to pay at the Aqua Aloha Surf as it was less than what they were charging at the Luana. We also had to discuss parking fees as we would be renting a car (5 minutes from the Aqua Aloha Surf, now 15 minutes from the Luana) in a few days and we were planning on paying for the parking fees that the Aqua Aloha Surf charged and not what the Luana Charges. We also were going to be given some free breakfast vouchers. This was nice, however, we had not planned to eat there but even that was a fiasco. Initially they showed only one person would be in our room, another error??? So they did not want to give us vouchers for more than 1 person and we would have to check back. We did not need or want them, but if we did, we would then have to waste more time explaining this to the front desk and taking up more of our precious vacation time. When I expressed this to the girl at the front desk, she responded in a condescending manner.
Our room was not ready when we arrived but when it was we were fine with the room. It was simple but comfortable and we chose to put all of the aggravation behind us and enjoy our vacation. After returning and speaking to many people in the lodging business, I feel we should have been given a lot more for our inconvenience. The story that the Luana is a much higher scale hotel is all well and good, but they did not offer us anything more than we were going to get at the Aqua Aloha Surf as far as amenities go. I believe we should have been comped a night or upgraded on our room at the very least for this huge inconvenience.
In the end I learned a huge lesson, even if you book your hotel well in advance, don’t always expect it to be yours until you arrive. I love to plan our vacations so it won’t stop me from planning them as I do, but at least now I know that this can happen. I am hopeful though it never will again because it started out our vacation in a very unpleasant way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, one of Waikiki's most popular hotels, is a boutique hotel located 2 blocks to the beach and steps from world class dining and shopping. The large, open air lobby connects to a fitness area and Internet cafe as well as a relaxing pool area with cabanas and barbeque grill lit by tiki torches every evening. Continental breakfast is served complimentary daily for bookings made directly through Aqua. With our hospitality fee, Aqua Aloha Surf allows guests to enjoy many hotel services and activities without having to incur miscellaneous charges. These amenities include WiFi Interent throughout the hotel and in guest rooms, DVDNow (Unlimited movies & PS3 games), Beach Towels and Chair rentals, Waikiki Shuttle Service, Daily Newspaper, In Room Coffee, In Room Safe, Local & Toll-Free Calls, Water in Lobby, and a Weekly Manager's Reception. In addition, Aloha Aqua Surf guest rooms offer AquaBLISS pillow top beds, LCD TV's, mini-refrigerator, a microwave, coffeemaker and safe. Select accommodations offer views of the magical Koolau Mountain range and Ala Wai Golf Course. Self Parking is $25 daily. Note: Oversized vehicles will not fit in the hotel parking garage. If you have what you believe may be an oversized vehicle, please call the hotel to confirm whether the garage can accommodate the vehicle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Aqua-Aston Hospitality, LLC, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Aqua Aloha Surf Honolulu
- Aloha Surf Hotel
- Aqua Aloha Surf Hotel
- Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu