“Not As Advertised...Be Warned!”

Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki
Ranked #64 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Overland Park, Kansas
“Not As Advertised...Be Warned!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms are extremely small. I booked an alleged "Deluxe Room." When I checked in, I was assigned room 806. The room looked directly across the alley into people's apartments and they could see into my room. The only way to avoid this was to shut the drapes, which would eliminate light into the room all day! I complained and after telling me they were sold out, I told them that I would not stay in that room and they relocated me to room 1207. No real view, but at least above the roof of the apartments across the alley. All night long, doors banged closed and even this high up, you could hear people yelling and partying on the street below and in the apartments across the alley who had their glass sliding balcony doors open. I tend to believe that the hotel hosts long-term residents as a few "guests" came to the front desk while I was there to ask for their mail. It's a very seedy place. I stayed here several years ago and had a beautiful room, but this place has gone downhill. The front desk lady scolded me for booking through Expedia and not the hotel directly if I wanted a better room! Huh? I will not return to this place and unless you want slamming doors all day and night and seedy residents, look elsewhere... I sure will!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, you must request a room on floor 12 or higher.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank MikeGreek
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Aloha "MikeGreek",
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. The Aloha Surf is a Condotel. So our units are privately owned. 85% of the units are operated as part of our hotel program. The rest of the units are owner occupied or rented out on the long term basis. This would account for you seeing long term "Guests". I don't think they are seedy people. Owning a condo in Waikiki is not an inexpensive proposition. The owners and tenants we have here are very nice reputable people.
At any rate, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Best Wishes,
Tim Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belfast NI
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Pros: good location, clean rooms, has a fridge and microwave in the room. Overall it's fine but wouldn't want to be staying for more than a couple of nights.

Cons: very average, nothing special, small bathroom, air conditioner made an awful racket at night. Pool is really small, you wouldn't want to be using it for more than a brief dip. Hotel is fairly tired overall and has a 'cheap' feel to it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MollyfromBelmont
Aloha "Mollyfrombellmont",
I appreciate you sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor. we are currently working on a project to renovate our hotel rooms. This should result in fresh new rooms for our guests.
Mahalo,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've tried many hotels in Waikiki in the past month. This one has been one of the worst. The room is very small. Air conditioner is very noisy. The room has an old look. No wireless internet access in the rooms (only in the lobby). Very small beds in their standard rooms. The last time I've slept in a bed this size was in my childhood! The mattress is very uncomfortable. If you tumble when you are asleep, there's a very good chance that you might fall down! Their Aqua Wave hotel is much better!

Room Tip: Do not book the standard room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Aloha "Kaveh K",
Thank you for giving us a try. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. It is our goal to provide a good value to our guest in a relaxing atmosphere. I am sorry we were not able to meet that goal in your case. We are working on a project to remodel all of our hotel units here at the property. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Tim Clark

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Perth
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We used this hotel as a stop between Australia and Vancouver. Although a moderate hotel it was satisfied our needs. Everything was in walking distance. The rooms were large and clean. Breakfast was very basic, but having said that it was all that we needed.
The staff were very helpful and assisted us with our queries. There is wifi in the lobby. We would stay again.

Room Tip: High floors away from the street are quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank the_retirees_Perth
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Aloha "the_retirees_perth",
Thank you for selecting the Aloha Surf when you visited Waikiki on your way home from Vancouver. I am glad we helped to contribute to a good experience for you. Please come back and stay with us again soon.
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It was lucky that we had only one night at the hotel . We had meet the most terrible receptionist named Vinh . He acted like we asked for a room , not like customers , without any smile and neccesary guide , didn't give us breakfast vouchers . In the morning , when we asked about br. vouchers, he was rude saying that " let me check " . His act made us think that he himself aranged for us the wost room in the hotel ,numbered 208 . This old room was too small with noisy air conditioner . And the thing called window was inconvenient that we could'nt open it . There was even little cockroaches in the bathroom . We knew that we chose the cheapest price but we were ready to pay more for the room with river view as we susgested in our room booking . We had a very bad impression about hotel because of Vinh . We think the hotel manegement should educate Vinh again by a simply way : let him walk to Aqua Pearl Hotel and see how did these infrond - desk staffs working , talking to customers .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trinhvan
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Aloha "Trinhvan",
I am sorry that you had such a poor experience here at the Aloha Surf Waikiki. I do appreciate you sharing your experience with us. I will certainly address your concerns with our team members. It is our goal to provide our guests with true value and an experience that is warm welcoming and friendly. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet those goals for you.
My apologies,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

great hotel for the price around $100.00 per night, staff very friendly fast check in and check out, 24 hr reception, Clean hotel and rooms. rooms are small compared to other hotels but we were bearly in the room so doesn't matter, Room safe, Iron and ironing board air con, breakfast good not a big selection but did the job, great location only 2 streets from the beach and restaurants with plenty of things to do and see

Room Tip: close to the beach, rooms are small but only in there for a small time
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bexy99872003
Aloha "Bexy99872003",
Thank you for staying with us here at the Aloha Surf. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Mahalo
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We actually rented a studio unit here via the vrbo.com website (unit no. 1006 on the 10th floor). The location is nice and central while being quiet enough in a side street on the Ala Wai canal. The lobby is breezy and lovely and there is a small plunge pool on the ground floor (very deep, not suitable for small children). You are close to everything (bus stop, eateries, beach, supermarket). The property itself is well maintained and the staff are simply superb - all helpful, friendly and cheerful - and this whilst we weren't even staying in a room that the resort manages. Very child friendly too. I saw some rooms while we were there (other guests gave us a peek) and they all looked clean, well maintained and bright. I would highly recommend this place for anyone staying in Waikiki on holidays in this price bracket. I would not necessarily spend a honeymoon there but it is perfectly adequate for any other kind of stay unless you are after a luxury upmarket resort. Our balcony was big enough to hang beach towels and have breakfast/a cup of coffee and watch the sunrises/sunsets. Overall a very enjoyble stay.

Room Tip: The higher up the room the better!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank AquaPacifica
Aloha "AquaPacifica",
Mahalo for staying with us here at the Aloha Surf.
I am glad we were able to contribute to a successful Waikiki Visit for you.
Please come back and visit us again soon.