“Desperatly needed a good nights sleep- and had it!”

Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki
Ranked #65 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I only stayed one night cause I needed a separate, quiet room when I was sick. I took the smallest room, and it really WAS small, but that didn't bother me at all cause it was cozy and very comfy. had the best sleep of my entire stay in hawaii! Room was very clean and I felt like home. staff was friendly. for me it fitted perfectly. Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank bluelagoon82
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Aloha "bluelagoon82",
I am so glad we could come through for you when you needed a good nights sleep. I know the feeling. Hope we can take care of you again soon.
Mahalo and Aloha,
Tim Clark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This hotel is just okay at best as we've stayed in hostels that were better.

Pros:

-Awesome awesome location! Two blocks away from the beach, King's Village and Shopping
-Clean and quiet (requested to have room to be higher level, away from elevators)
-Free breakfast that's pretty decent
-Good, quick and nice service
-If you are renting a car, its nice because there's free parking half a block away along the canal (or else its 20 bucks to park underground)
-The plates/microwave/utensils/fridge etc is huge help! Load up on the water and reheating cheesecake factory leftovers is great.
-The beds were comfortable for me as it is soft and sinks in really nicely; however, beware, this can also be a con as my SO found the beds uncomfortable as he likes firmer beds.

Cons:

-The bathroom was a bit awkward as there was no actual door... it was more of an open-ish sliding door that didn't hide any unpleasant sounds. The tv was constantly cranked up high to provide privacy for my significant other (there were stomach problems)
-Our card key did not work several times. We had to change it 4-5 times within a few days
-The AC was not cold enough despite blasting it all night
-The blowdryer did not work in our room either. It took several phone calls and 3 days to have this replaced
-The elevators take a bit long (but really that can't be helped)

I think with some maintenance, this hotel can definitely be better! If you don't mind the cons listed, then this hotel is definitely for you.

Room Tip: Request a room that is up high and away from elevators. Another tip is that if you request a queen s...
3  Thank krossingboundaries
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Aloha "beachflopper",
Mahalo for selecting the Aqua Aloha Surf for your recent visit to Waikiki. I appreciate your detailed feedback about your experience. We will use your comments in our ongoing effort to grow and improve.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband, myself and adult son stayed 10 nights Feb. 2012. Our one bedroom suite on the top (16th) floor was clean, airy and roomy with great views (canal, golf course, and even some ocean in the distance). We never used the a/c. The breeze through the open windows made for a very comfortable temperature. There was definitely traffic noise, but afterall, this is Honolulu! Perhaps closing the windows and turning on the a/c would block out most noise.
Breakfast (a nice bonus!) was sufficient and selection varied slightly daily. All staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. Check-in and out was a prompt. We really enjoyed the 24 hour complimentary coffee and ice water in the lovely open lobby/pool area. No wifi in the rooms but the cable plug-in worked just fine. The king bed was super comfy!
Our only complaint would be.. the sofa-bed :( It was dirty and worn. We requested a cot, which was delivered promptly, but it wasn't much better. A new sofa bed or futon is much needed here. We would recommend this hotel based on price, convenience and services it offers and would not hesitate to return. Mahalo!

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Franceisfine

Aloha "FranceisFine",
Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Waikiki and at the Aloha Surf.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Take Care,

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Once again the Aqua Aloha Surf get a get review. Just a few blocks from the best beach in the world, this little jem offers all you need to have a great holiday. The front end staff are remarkable. The maid service looked after our room, down to the last detail. The managers reception on Tuesday evenings is a great way to meet others staying at your hotel. This is the third time staying at this hotel and the staff have upgraded our room on each stay, when space was available. My hat goes off to all the staff at this hotel. And a special thank you to Nicki at the front desk, Your friendly smile and love of your Island go a long way to making peoples holiday on the Island unforgetable.
Aloha from Glen and Gene

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Waikiki can be a bit noisey early in the morning with garba...
1  Thank glen1020

Aloha "glen1020",
Thank you for being a loyal return guest at the Aqua Aloha Surf. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. Mahalo for mentioning our hard working staff and especially Nickie. She really is the Gem. She Anchors our overnight crew. It is because she is here overnight along with our Security Staff that I can sleep knowing our guests are in good hands.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Best Wishes,

Reviewed February 18, 2012

If you're looking for plush accommodations go somewhere else but if you are looking for clean comfortable accommodations this is the place. The staff are awesome the beds are comfy the rooms remind me of a beach motel on the east coast. It was super clean the pool was small but clean and it's located right in the middle of Waikiki. I have stayed everywhere from the Marriott to Hilton but from now on this is my new favorite hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Aloha "drjilly",
Mahalo for staying with us at the Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here on trip advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed her for 6 nights. There were no major issues during our stay and the front desk was helpful and quick to respond to any requests. We jokingly named this the "Mini Hotel" because everything is small, but still gets the job done (see full review below).

Breakfast - Our room came with the free breakfast which was adequate. It is mostly a variety of breakfast type breads, pancakes and cereal. They do have cut up fresh fruit which was nice and one day they had hard boiled eggs. The lady making the pancakes is super nice and the pancakes are good. The only problem is that they only give you little tiny bread plates which makes it hard to handle - just make multiple trips.

Lobby/Pool - The lobby is nice and open air. There is a vending machine that sells beverages at a somewhat reasonable price and a machine that has free regular coffee or $1 fancy coffee drinks. Just off the lobby is an internet cafe and tour company. We didn't use etiher of these, so I can't comment. The pool is tiny and only has a few lounge chairs, so just plan on heading to the beach - you are in Hawaii.

Room - Our room was small, which I expected, but had enough space for what we needed. The bed was very comfortable and king sized. The curtains were wearing thin in a few places and didn't slide very well open and closed, but still got the job done. The windows were very clean and our view was great, but they are the crank open slatted windows so they don't block out much noise. There is an air conditioner in the room, but we never needed to turn it on. If you opened the windows there was enough of a breeze to keep things comfortable. The room had a balcony, but it was only large enough for two patio chairs. There is a mini-fridge and a tiny microwave. There is also a safe, but it was too small to fit a regular size laptop. The room overall was clean, but looks like it could use a floor to ceiling cleaning because many of the walls had dirt spots on them. In regards to the noise issue mentioned in other reviews, it is loud. Even on the higher floors away from Ala Wai, it is still loud. So, if you have sensitivity to noise when sleeping, bring ear plugs. The noise bothered me the first night, but I got used to it after that. My boyfriend, on the other hand, never adjusted and needed his earplugs.

Location - The location was perfect for our needs which was visiting friends who live in the area. If you are looking for a place very close to the water, then you will be disappointed. It is about a 5-10 minute walk to the Kalakaua Ave which is the main street along the beach. It then takes another 3 minutes or so to actually get through the hotels and out to the beach. It isn't too bad, but it isn't a quick trip down to the beach. There a a number of restaurants of varying price and type nearby, a Food Pantry grocery store a block away, and, of course, a number of ABC Stores.

1  Thank Vacationgirl_0707

Aloha "Vacationgirl_0707",
I am glad we were able to provide you with "Great Value" for your Dollar. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with everyone here on trip advisor. Come back again soon!
Mahalo and Take Care,

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I visited this hotel for 10 nights at the start of February - my boyfriend and I (both in our early 30s) were first time visitors to Waikiki and managed to get this hotel for a reasonable rate so we weren't sure what to expect.
The hotel is situated a short walk from the beach and several shops and restaurants. We were also close to the bus stop, which was perfect for us. the room was very clean and was cleaned well throughout our stay. We had a balcony but it looked out onto an ugly building opposite and it was extremely noisy so not really very useful! The room was small by US standards but we were happy with it for what we paid. We had complimentary beach towels and a free safe and the shower worked fine. The pool area is tiny and so is the fitness suite so don't stay here if these things are important to you!
I would have given an extra star but the day before we checked out I asked the receptionist if they could find out what time our transfer with Roberts was booked for as I hadn't received an email confirming the time. However, rather than just calling them up (which would have taken 2 minutes max) I was given a phone number and pointed to the pay phone. I've stayed at a lot of hotels of varying quality and would expect it to be no trouble for the hotel to check something as basic as this for us!

Room Tip: stay in a room as far up as possible. We were on the 9th floor and it was really noisy.
1  Thank smileykate100
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Aloha "Smileykate100",
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Aqua Aloha Surf for 10 days. I am glad we were able to provide you value for your money. I do apologize for the encounter you had at our front desk. I have printed your posting and we will go over it with each front desk team member to learn from it.