“For my Priceline price, it was decent. But I couldn't recommend” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ala Moana Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ala Moana Hotel
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“For my Priceline price, it was decent. But I couldn't recommend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I just returned from the Ala Moana and I wouldn't recommend it. Although we did get a good deal on Priceline, we found out at check-in that for us to get a room with two beds would have been an additional $40 a night. I have used Priceline on many occassions have never had this issue before. But, having said that, I can adequately review this hotel on their other shortcomings, not just this policy.
The location is fine. I actually didn't mind it. We were only sleeping in the area, so we didnn't need to be right beside the cheesy and touristy shops of Waikiki. I didn't even mind the smallness of the room.

I do, however, have a problem, with ill-flushing toilets, blood stains on my pillow, random hairs everywhere that were NOT mine, and the lack of overall care and courtesy found by the staff. The pool is closed, the nightclub is beyond bad, and the place just looks tired. No sense of Aloha here, that is for sure. But, hey, it was a bed and fairly cheap, and that's really the best thing I can say about this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cowboylatte79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

I was excited for my first visit to Hawaii to stay at a 4 star hotel. The first impression of the Ala Moana was a snooty check-in girl "Jennifer". The room was very small but at least the partial view was amazing! The microwave shot sparks, the coffee pot is weird, there was mold outside of the bathroom, which they swear wasn't mold, and they kept calling me to confirm our address which we gave them at least three times. I did like the fact that it is attached to the most vast mall I think I've ever seen and just a 3-4 minute walk to the park with a small beach. I would say that there are much better places to stay for what you would spend here.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Savtrouble
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

I could not of asked for a better location and for the price it was outstanding! The room was clean and staff was extremely friendly. I particurlarly liked the fact that it was so close to the beach and to the Ala Moana Mall that made everything so great. I could not of asked for better accomidations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank m1a1lg
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

My wife and I already had a leisure trip in Honolulu. Ala Moana Hotel is an excellent accessible point. TheBus terminal is nearby Ala Moana Shopping Center which is just next to the hotel. We can take TheBus to go anywhere in O'ahu very easily. If you don't want to stay in hotel for a very long time and decide to go outside for different kinds of activities, Ala Moana is that your choice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

The unit was wonderful and the location was not bad 20minute walk to Waikiki, and we had a car some it easy to navigate on the Island..
My biggest complaint and is huge; when you rent the the private units condos the hotels does not extend any customers service previlages, house cleaning, equipment failures plumbing etc. I inquired about house cleaning for two days. They said i could purchase it for sevens days or not at all and to contact the owner. . We had an electrical problem and I was informed to contact the owner in the San Francisco, and he had to get on the phone and have a not to pleasant conversation in order for them to assist us :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank beepsmall

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Outer Banks, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

I was happy to stay in the Ala Moana Hotel. I liked the location - convenient to Ala Moana Beach (a public beach about 10 minutes walking from the hotel), a mall (food court and grocery store so we saved money not eating in restaurants) and a 20 minute walk from Waikiki (didn't really like the beach or the area - reminded me of Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills), the state capitol, the self-directed Obama walking tour and the convention center. The hotel had a refrigerator and oven, housekeeping services were excellent, and it seemed like a very well-managed and maintained facility. The only "negative" that I had was some construction noise across the street, which, of course, wasn't the hotel's fault and there was no room service although there was a restaurant in the hotel. We had a lovely balcony. One more thing: the TV screen was a little small for a big room (if you watched TV in bed). The pool was lovely. All around, it was a super hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeththecritic
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

Ala Moana Hotel was the cheapest (within reason) hotel offered to me through a package deal on Priceline. Based on the photos and the reviews, I decided to give it a go.

Let me start by saying that the interior of the hotel is lovely. The decor in the lobbies, halls, and rooms is quite nice and the hotel staff were kind and eager to help. The mattress was perfect: not too firm, not too soft. If mall-shopping is your thing, this is the hotel for you, as it has a walkway to the large Ala Moana Shopping Center. One of the other upsides is a very close-by 7-11 we often used to get supplies in the morning (water, caffeine, and Sudafed, since we were both sick).

Now, here's where it gets a little hinky. I paid extra for a room with a "partial ocean view". What I got was a view of the marina, and constant noise from the parking garage attached to the shopping center, so we couldn't leave the sliding glass door open. Parking in the garage downstairs is going to run you $20 a day. Don't both with the Plantation Cafe breakfast buffet available just outside of the lobby: we were both pretty disappointed in the quality considering the $15/each pricetag.
While within walking distance of a small beach with a sunset view, the walk itself leaves a little to be desired: Used condoms, homeless, and garbage abound. Those themes followed through to the neighborhood surrounding the hotel with a few "day spas" that doubled as strip clubs once the sun went down.

All in all, if you're going to one of the most beautiful beach islands in the world to go shopping... stay at the Ala Moana. If you want to lay in the sun and the sand.... you might look elseware.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple