“If you want Jack hammeringx5 outside your balcony….”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg
“If you want Jack hammeringx5 outside your balcony….”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stay at the Ala Moana every year for a week to holiday and relax. Sure the decor is looking a little dated but it is all about location and tradition for me. This week there is a conference in town so the hotel is very busy. However, what I was not warned about is the noise from the Ala Moana Mall parking lot resurfacing work. There are about 5 jack hammers operating from 9:00-5:00 everyday and boy do they make some noise. Makes it really unpleasant to spend any time out on the deck of this ocean view suite. Granted, you really don't want to spend a lot of time in your room, however paying top dollar without any warning of what is going on makes it extremely challenging to enjoy the week stay here. For those who have reservations at this property, it doesn't look like this jack hammering will be ending anytime soon.

Room Tip: Don't take an ocean view corner room until the Ala Moana mall parking lot construction is finish...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Rudder787

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We have been staying at the Ala Moana for 5-6 years, usually for a long weekend in February, and have usually found it to be clean, friendly and convenient. It is close enough to the bustle of Waikiki to get there in a comfortable walk, but far enough to avoid the crowds. Being adjacent to the Ala Moana Mall is a tremendous plus with all its shops and restaurants. There is a significant difference in the room size, views and atmosphere in the two hotel towers. Stay in the Waikiki Tower in preference to the Kona Tower.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2bears93442
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We haven't even checked in yet, after getting married in Honolulu in January and traveling the States for a month, we were looking at a nice relaxing stay close to the shops. Perfect location and lobby looks great. On a really hot day we are trying to check in. First lady was lovely and said to come back as room wasn't ready. Fair enough. We come back a few hours later to get told. Check in is at 3. Asked to use the pool as it is really hot and got told no. Bell desk rolled their eyes at me when I asked to check bags in and didn't speak a word to us. I don't even want to check in now. Dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank usahoneymoon2014

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Reservations were difficult as we were four people. they could ot accommodate four people, and we were charged $259.00 per day for a room that had two double beds without enough floor space to hold four bags.Nice lanai though.
Service: abrupt, thoughtless and edgy from valet station, to other staff.
Decor: nice lobby
Internet: worst service I have ever had, with rude provider, totally wouldn't talk with me, kept scolding me, saying I had to answer his questions, and not any other ones or he would close out the ticket. He refused to hear what was wrong, and was arrogant beyond any service I have ever had. when running, the service was quite slow.
Something is wrong with the hotel. I stayed there before and it was lovely in all ways. Has this hotel been sold? Thinking of selling itself? Choose elsewhere if it matters.

Room Tip: some lanais have views others do not.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank judith l
Keaau, Hawaii
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel many times during the 40 years we've lived in Hawaii, mostly for convention travel. This most recent renovation makes the rooms and bathrooms much more comfortable. Our room was clean. We overlooked the pool and had a sliver of a view of the nearby marina and ocean. And the meeting rooms remain wonderful for smaller gatherings. The hotel is located adjacent to Ala Moana Shopping Center and is barely a block away from the Hawaii Convention Center, for larger conventions. Within easy walking distance are other shopping centers such as Ward Center. In the other direction is Waikiki and straight down the road is Ala Moana Beach Park. Ala Moana Shopping Center is a major bus terminal making more distant locations within easy reach.
Lines can be long at the reception desk, but they move quickly. More problematic are lines for the elevators.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Katharine C
Central Florida, USA
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The rooms were dirty. Changed rooms & the only thing changed was more outside light. My roommate looked at 6 others and they were all the same. The carpet & bedding were a disgrace. We changed hotels.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. They were all dirty. For $179.00 per (conference rate) night they should...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank dee d
Keaau, Hawaii
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in, I asked for a room near the elevator because I had injured my ankle the previous weekend. I was using a cane it should have been seen as a reasonable request. We were told that the hotel was sold out so unless I made the request when I called in the reservation ( before I injured my ankle) my request couldn't be considered. I was checking in at 1:30 pm. , plenty of time to move rooms around. So, we are sent off the find elevators that are a LONG way from the lobby and a long walk to our room.
Not happy but try to make do. We were told the hotel was right next to the Ala Moana Mall. Just walk out the 2nd floor and thru Macys and you're there. Nope. 2nd floor hike thru banquet hall area with no benches. Reach the doors... Oh, you have to walk down a long ramp and across a large parking lot in the hot sun to get to Macys. No where to sit. If only the lady who checked us in had been understanding. Once we get back to the room I am done for the day. We are stuck in a small room overlooking a junky rooftop with a TV that you can't hear. The mini frig is louder than it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple