“Borderline. ”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights with wife and 2 year old. Rented room 2326 to get the 1 bedroom suite. On the plus side location is great. Super access to beach and shopping. On the downside: 1. Pool is dated. Ground surface around the pool is unacceptable. Walking in it hurts. Water felt colder than the ocean. The toddler was uninpressed. 2. Room not ready with crib on arrival. Noise from hall easily wakes up jet lagged toddler from 5am. Activating emergency warning system at 1sm for no reason also upsetting. 3. Kitchenette was useless because of no utensils, plates, cups, zip. Not sure why they install dishwasher. 4. Easy to meet other guests in the lift because we all have the same trouble with our cards. Had higher hopes based on reviews and expectation of cake for money.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Charles H
There are newer reviews for Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We booked our room at the Ala Moana Hotel through VRBO so we got it for a really good price. The staff was wonderful. We had a late check-in which I had let them know ahead of time and they really accommodated us. When we got there I realized I had brought the wrong key for our suitcase and it was now 2;00 a.m. and all we wanted to do was sleep! I called the front desk and they put us through to someone else who immediately sent someone up to our room with the biggest bolt cutters for our tiny lock. Less than 5 mins!

Staff was always friendly and helpful no matter what we asked or who we spoke to. location of the hotel is handy next door to the shopping centre where you can easily walk to get food or eat out.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. No view from our room but we didn't spend a lot of time there. Our room was spotless and if that's any indication of the other rooms, excellent!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room with a view probably the Kona tower is not for you but it is quieter t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanadaSunshine58
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

As locals here in Hawaii, we always stay here when visiting from the neighbor island n have always enjoyed our stay. Great location w walkway right to Ala Moana shopping center and always great service. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Diane O
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Let's face it, we all want a good room with a nice view that comes with a bargain price. Well, Ala Moana Hotel comes close to it. Just ask for the higher tower. I have to luck to be booked on the 33rd floor on room 3317. Very spacious and can accomodate more than 4 adults since the unit comes with a sofa bed. My wife and I love to shop and taste some local cuisines or a quickie lunch, so we hang around the Ala Moana mall which is adjacent to the hotel. The mall have high end retailers, a big international food court and a grocery market too. Mai Tai is nice to for happy hour just to rest your feet for a couple of hours while having a cocktail libation. For the young at heart, a disco bar is located a the lobby of the hotel, it's only available Friday and Saturday for the public. We have a nice vacay with my wife. She's happy shopping and I was well satisfied hitting golf balls and the beach.

Room Tip: Try to reserve on 33rd floor of the ocean tower and you will not regret it. Promise. We were at Unit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ven_D2014
Reviewed January 15, 2014

When we went to Hawaii we had a double booking issue, which in no way was the hotels fault, but this was not our original hotel we were supposed to be staying in. I did like that is was connected to the outdoor mall which was very nice. The room was tiny for four people and our view wasn't horrible. The pool was kind of sad, but clean. I wouldn't recommend the breakfast buffet they offer, the room needs updated, and there is nothing special about the food. The club there was for older people from what I could see. The staff wasn't bad to us, it was all just average. No noise complaints.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed January 8, 2014

All the photos promoting this place show the main hotel tower but if you book the Kona Tower you will be ushered around the back to the bad hotel where rooms are tiny, beds are horrendous and balconies are a sliding door with a railing. When i booked this hotel i expected to be in the main hotel and paying $250 per night I was shocked at what i actually got. I would not recommend this hotel even though it is next to Ala Moana.

Room Tip: Try get a room in the main tower, the Kona Tower is an absolute dump
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank wilrc1
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel was recommended by organizers of a conference I was attending, for its convenience to the conference venue, but it is a reasonable alternate to some higher priced Waikiki hotels. (We were not at the main Convention Center, but that was literally five minutes away, so this hotel would be an excellent choice for anyone attending an event there.) The service was wonderful; my hairdryer didn't work and Housekeeping brought up a new one within 5 minutes of my call and made sure that it worked. Same thing when I came in and the clock was flashing 12:00 and I couldn't set it (but why do hotels furnish rooms with clocks that are impossible to set? I couldn't set the alarm either!). And the front desk staff are friendly and helpful, both when checking in and out, and when I intially had a problem connecting to the Internet; there is wireless in the rooms and also the typical connections.

The rooms are small, but you're not sitting in your room in Honolulu, and the small fridge and microwave are useful, especially as the hotel cafe served only a buffet breakfast, so I stocked up on yogurt and fruit from the local ABC shop. There is a convenient food court in the Ala Moana Shopping Center next door, and an easy second-floor passage from the hotel. The pool hours were limited to 8 a.m. to sunset, so no early morning swim, which was a disappointment, but again, it's an easy walk to the Ala Moana beach, which is preferable to the pool if you have time. A friend raved about the massage she got at the first floor center; they will also come to your room.

If you are planning to spend most of your time at Waikiki, then this is not the hotel for you, unless you want to do the 20-25 minute walk every day (I did not try to find the shuttle stop, but of course you could buy the Waikiki Shuttle pass as another alternative, and there is the "pink" $2 shuttle). But the bus stop was convenient for my treks to the Art Museum and the Iolani Palace, though at non-rush hour times, you may wait 10-15 minutes for a bus. You can also buy bus passes at the ABC and 7-11 stores. For anyone with an interest in shopping, this hotel can't be beat, as the Ala Moana shopping center has it all; don't miss the Japanese department store, Shirokiya, right outside of Macy's, which has lovely gift items (some with Japanese Cute, though the smart phone covers were the best I've seen anywhere) and a terrific bakery for those breakfast and sweets items! All in all, this hotel really worked for my week in Honolulu, which was half vacation and half business.

Room Tip: One of my friends complained about not having a good view and they moved her to the 35th floor with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business