“Good hotel”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed there November 23-24. Everyone was real nice and had great guest service. I liked the location since you could easily walk to ala moana mall and ward center was a few blocks away. The ala moana beach was right across the street as well. I looked at the reviews and noticed people mentioned the cleanliness. The room we had was just fine only thing that stood out to me was in the shower the drain cover was pulled out. I would of thought they would fix that before we got into the room but it didn't affect the shower.

Also the tv was a little static but I was able to manage with it. Other than that I was really happy how I booked a room with mountain view but instead I got ocean view which was fine because I initially wanted that but it was more expensive if I booked it that way. He hotel is a little pricey but it comes with convience and I like that!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Kristen M
There are newer reviews for Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have stayed here several times. A simple walk to the Ala Moana shopping center. Convenient to medical facilities in Honolulu. A short walk to Ward Center. Near Convention Center. Simple taxi or transit ride to Waikiki. Hotel staff is pleasant and rooms ultra clean. Rooms are nicely appointed. Close to restaurants of all sorts from food courts to fine dining. Nice pool on 3rd floor deck. A short walk to Ala Moana Beach Park. Free WiFi in lobby and rooms.

3  Thank wahinetraveler06
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel is ideal for those who want to be near the Convention Center (2 blocks, but there is a sky bridge on the second floor to the parking lot) and the Ala Moana Shopping Center (roughly one block), but not if you want to walk right out on the beach at Waikiki. To get to a beach you must walk 2-3 blocks. This is a large modern hotel with all the amenities, though frankly I think it's petty that they only give you one packet of coffee (no choice between regular or decaf) and charge you if you want more. Must be a theft problem, but it's annoying. I was also surprised that no one (no one) at reception smiled at anyone during the 15 minutes I had to wait to register--long by my standards. The wait on elevators can be very annoying when there are crowds--they don't all seem to operate at the same time.

Otherwise, a great hotel. The breakfast is a large buffet and they give a 10% senior discount off the $16.95 rate. The lobby is large and there are several shops, including one that was having end of season discounts.

Room Tip: Rooms on ocean side are more expensive but the mountain view on the rear is nice too, especially if...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cfuller603
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I love this hotel! It is next to the largest shopping mall on Oahu and the Hawaii Convention Center. It is also within walking distance to Ala Moana Park with its great beach and jogging paths. The hotel is about 3 miles to the heart of Waikiki. Although it is over 40 years old, the hotel is modern and clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

1  Thank 1217cocolala
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The registration desk was very efficient and friendly. Quick check in and the room was wonderful - lots of amenities available. The breakfast buffet is fantastic - lots of variety and local fresh fruits are so ONO !!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to reduce noise level.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank hawaiilove43
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is my favorite hotel in Honolulu. Our room had a view of Ala Moana Beach. The room is clean, furnished in the style of ikea, has a microwave and a small refrigerator. It is not fancy but I love that it is next to Ala Moana Mall and across the street from the large Ala Moana Beach/Park. It is easy to drive from the hotel to anywhere on the island. It does not feel touristy, although there were a couple of busloads of tourist groups that came in during our stay. Housekeeping was great--we would go out early to sightsee and be back by noon and the room would be cleaned. After being at so many hotels where we'd return by noon or even later, like 3, to a unclean room, this was very, very nice. The concierge was also very helpful in getting us reservations at a top restaurant at the last minute.

Room Tip: spend a little more to get a room with a view.
2  Thank PR_4259
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Ala Moana Hotel for our wedding in Hawaii. We also flew to a few other countries afterwards. Ala Moana was by far the best hotel on this trip as everything was above what we expected. Rooms were large and clean with great ocean view, it was convenient for shopping and dining. All services were excellent, especially housekeeping, always friendly and reliable. I also want to say a special thank you to Lee Kamae at reception for her patience in organising our rooms as we had lots of relatives checking in different times. She was very quick at responding to my emails and was very understanding throughout our interactions with her. We would definitely go back to Ala Moana hotel for future stays.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family