“Nice hotel, especially if you plan on shopping”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here one night. Very nice hotel good location. Not right on the beach, but probably a 5-10 minute walk. Connected to the best mall I have ever been to. The building is part condo, part hotel. There is a convenince store located in the building, opens at 7am. Good place to buy snacks. Breakfast at the Plantation Cafe was good ( $16.95 for adults, 9.95 for kids, free for 3 and under). The room was nice. We had a King Size bed. Nice couch, table and chair. We had a balcony over looking the pool. Clean. Microwave, Minifridge, flat screen tv. We couldn't get the tv to work and called down to the front desk and a guy came up with in 5 minutes of us calling ( the cord to the tv was unplugged , we actually checked the wall plug, which was fine). Very nice and helpful staff. I would rec'd!!!

Room Tip: our room 2216 was nice, next to elevators, but we never heard an outside noise, close to a drink ven...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Mahalo

There are newer reviews for Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were only in Honolulu for 2 nights to visit Pearl Harbor and wanted something clean and safe at a decent price (beach hotels are very expensive). It was basically clean and safe and next to the mall. You could tell it had been recently remodeled, but it had the smallest rooms ever. The beds were not comfortable, The sofa bed opened to within 2 inches of the walls, bed and chair so you couldn't even walk around it. The sofa bed mattress was horribly uncomfortable and did not have any bedding on it - or in the room. The pool on the deck looked nice. The breakfast restaurant was way overpriced, but the buffet was okay. The people at the reception desk were rude. People in our party found a large roach in the main restaurant. They pointed it out to the waiter, but did not stay to eat. They did have extra security on the elevators so that only guests could access the upper floors, which was a nice feature. It had that odd feeling that it was a big busy hotel, but there really didn't seem to be many people around.

Room Tip: We had a room that was on the pool level (or 1 level above). Our side of the floor had a full slidi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janetlynn13
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

The room was in our Kona Tower and is our smallest room offered albeit at our lowest price.
I apologize for the incident in the restaurant but we do perform regular pest control treatments.
Mahalo

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice hotel located near the fishing piers. Clean, wifi in rooms is awesome and free. Wifi in the main areas - not so good which is a bit of a change from most hotels. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. Housekeeping did a good job each day and they were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ML7kc

Thank you for you comments. We will share them with our staff. Mahalo

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We did a lot of research in booking this hotel for our final Hawaii. night. Our departing flight was at 0700. We wanted shuttle service to and from airport with no hassle. It turned out to be just the opposite. No shuttle from airport unless purchased from outside carrier. Due to our early departure no shuttle in AM either. We had to take cab. I don't mind paying, if I know that is what I have to do, but don't include in your included options, when its not. The lobby is lovely. It is close to Ala Moana Mall, so lots of shopping. Trolley runs from mall around city, so easy for sight seeing.

The staff were not helpful at all. We had four bags, I had new broken arm, and not one bell person or staff member offered to help us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gregs0n

I'm sorry that you did nott receive the assistance that you needed and should expect from our bellstaff and I will certainly address this with them. Thanks for taking the time to bring this to my attention.Mahalo

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I "pricelined" this hotel (2 rooms) for my family for 2 nights while visiting Pearl Harbor. We were on our way to Maui after this. The hotel had some very unfriendly people working at the desk and the hotel was at best a convention hotel. The room(s) we were given were so far away from the elevator; plus finding which bank of elevators to take was a task unto itself. The rooms were very very small with practically no view; and my room's window was on top of the roof; I felt very insecure knowing someone can just walk on the roof and into my room. The up side of the hotel was that the garage to the mall was connected somehow to the hotel which made it easy to get to. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank elmst

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. In regards to the size of the room, you chose to book the lowest priced room category in our Kona Tower. Larger rooms are available at a higher nightly rate in our Waikiki Tower. Mahalo

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I recently attended a conference held at this hotel; my husband and I had an ocean view room on the 31st floor . While it does not have immediate beach access, the view of the yacht harbor and Ala Moana Park is spectacular. It is convenient to the Ala Moana Center, which has anything anyone would want to buy from food to Cartier. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave so the Foodland grocery store was very convenient (there is also a market with some foods, spirits and excellent prices on souvenir items in the lobby between the main lobby and the Kona lobby).

Our room (two double beds) was quite spacious for two and spotless. The room was cleaned promptly each day. We loved the lanai and had coffee there each morning and drinks in the evening. We had booked our own tours over the internet prior to our visit, but there is a travel desk which can provide assistance. Most tours pick up at the Ala Moana just outside the Kona lobby.

I highly recommend the Ala Moana Hotel if being close to the beach is not important. We didn't have time to spend on the beach! Too much to see on our first trip to Hawaii!

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room in the Waikiki Tower. Excellent view and very nice lanai.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank hemathtchr
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to post your review. Mahalo

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel was almost like a "no-brainer" choice for someone who is visiting Hawaii for the first time -- even the free ballpen given by Delta Air has the hotel name on it! They say this is the choice for airline crew to stay in.

When I came in with 2 very heavy luggage NO ONE HELPED ME.

The person at the front desk, seemed too unhappy or bored to actually try to find a room for me.

I went up to my room with no help from anyone.

The room was ok because it was clean, but it looked very dated.

The hotel has a bridge way that connects it to the Ala Moana Mall. It was raining when I got there... and when I walked from the hotel to the mall, the floors were way too slippery that of course, I slipped!!! It has been 2 weeks now and I still feel the pain on my knees. I hope they change the flooring they used -- the floor seems to be made of stone cladding made for walls and not floors!

The buffet breakfast did not have a lot of choices! It was very reminiscent of the FREE breakfast buffet in provincial hotels in the Philippines... definitely not worth $18!

Room Tip: Choose the upper floors for a better view. Ocean view rooms do not actually have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LGGarcia

I am sorry that our bellstaff did not provide the service that should have been delivered. We will review your comments with them at our next meeting. Tahnk you for providing us with this valuable information
Mahalo