Ala Moana Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Equus Hotel(Honolulu)
Prince Waikiki(Honolulu)
3,510 results
All reviewskona towerconvention centerplantation cafebeach parkbusiness tripconvenient locationcoffee makerself parkingacross the streetfront desk staffwaikiki areaocean viewstarbuckslobbyrumourskamaainahawaii
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a great location for business travellers yet a stones throw from the Ala Moana Patk beach which the locals frequent.
Lots of places to eat both around the hotel and in the adjacent mall or a short walk/cab/bus down to Waikiki for all the usual chains. Long long lines at most Waikiki restaurants however, between 4.30 and 8.30 expect minimum 30-45 waits for tables at popular places.
Rooms are either King or Twin and adequate inside. As with most local hotels there is a fridge & a microwave too. Some of the Waikiki tower rooms have great sea views over the Marina but the noise from Atkinson Ave can marr this somewhat. The view over the mall car park is not so flash, but quieter and the sunsets better. However with building work planned for mud may 2013 onwards, this may change.
Pool & Gym are more than adequate.
Very busy reception, but courteous & knowledgable.
Good a/c with minimum noise levels.
Nice table & chairs for relaxing on the lanai.
This is also a timeshare property too.

Room Tip: Try to get the higher Waikiki Tower rooms towards the front of the hotel on either side for the best views. Rooms ending 01-014 are best as is higher....
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GoFlyNZ
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hoe to host you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Ala Moana Hotel is one of my favorites if I am doing business on Oahu. It is close to most everything by car and has a pedestrian walkway to the beautiful Ala Moana Shopping Center. The rooms are not large but adequate. The amenities and the coffee maker are very appreciated. The restaurant is nice - a bit expensive but there are lots of options nearby that are less expensive. Hotel staff and restaurant personnel are friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MissEeeee
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your comments and look forward to hosting you again in the future. Mahalo

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My flight was cancelled so the airline provided free accommodations at this hotel. The hotel was rather clean and the room were recently remodeled. It had a feeling of a large convention hotel but yet I felt very safe. Hawaii's largest shopping mall is located adjacent to the hotel and is connected by a pedestrian ramp from the second floor. Ala Moana Beach Park is also just a short 5 minute walk from the hotel. The Hawaii Convention Center is also just a 3 minute walk. Overall, this is a great hotel for families or the business traveler.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lancer808

Your comments are greatly appreciated. Mahalo

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Living on an outer island in the state of Hawaii, coming to O'ahu can be daunting. It has the greatest density of population, on a rather small space. This hotel is attached to the shopping center of the same name. I am aware of women coming here to shop at the holiday season, since there are stores in the mall not found on the other islands. Staying next door is a great convenience.

The room is small. There is a coffee maker, small refridge, and microwave. Nice slate floor when you come in which continues into the bath. Large mirror just off the bath, across from the kitchen area. Not sure if that would be useful since you can't get much distance from the mirror.

Supposedly the love seat is a sleeper-sofa. Didn't need it, so I have no idea if it is comfy. If that is used, there is absolutely no room between the rest of the room and the sliding door to the outside world. There's no lanai to exit to via this sliding door. Just a city/mountain view (see attached photo). Which also means sunrise into your room. FYI - there is no screen on the slider. One of the nice things about Hawaii is the minimal bugs we have here.

The bathroom had a white with gray streak marble counter top. Unfortunate choice, because the finish has gotten destroyed in a few places by lotions and other fluids spilled on it. The nickel finish handles of the tap are uncomfortable and do not seem to turn on / off in the usual manner. The faucet dripped significantly. Reported that when I checked out. The check out time is not noted on the back of the door (noon).

Small pillows on the bed. Another pillow option is tucked in the closet.

Issues - the artwork in the room consisted of three pieces. The glass covering the Nautilus shell image had dots of some sort of dried fluid on it. The largest piece had a nice hand print on it. The corner of one of the cushions on the loveseat was torn and there were coffee (?) stains on the bottom of the sofa. The desk had a glass cover but the finish on the wood under it was water damaged. The very large TV had a connectivity problem with the cable, which was easily fixed by twisting the coax connection a little tighter.

The main bank of six elevators did not go to the floor my room was on. There was a bit of a stroll to get around to the three which accessed the floor.

Was this a good value - close to $200 for this room? Doesn't feel like it. Would I stay here again, no, I'd find another one to explore hotel options in Honolulu.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Makalani
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank You for your comments including the one regarding price. As with other hotels we adjust according to demand and we were extremely busy during the time that you stayed with us. I hope that you will check out our website next time that you plan a visit as prices change frequently.
Mahalo

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well, it started off okay. The lobby appeared nice and they gave us a free upgrade to a suite on check in. We were there for a one day seminar being held IN the hotel. We have just a short flight to/from Honolulu from Maui, but decided to stay the night for fun (nightmare). The proximity to the mall was convenient. The "upgraded room" was what I would consider a very typical standard room at most hotels. I will say the view was VERY nice. The bad news....we got into bed at around 11:00 PM and when I looked behind me, there was a bed bug on the wall next to the headboard!!! Ewww....We called the front desk, they apologized, had security come up, verify if was a bed bug, take an incident report, move us and put us into a standard crammed room as that is what was available because of a busy weekend. Couldn't get that bug crawling on me feeling to go away and couldn't sleep after that. Worried about my items being infested, taking them home, etc. Finally, when we went to check out the next morning....the manager gave us a $30.00 discount!!!! Seriously??? I attempted to show pictures of the bug, but nobody wanted to see them when I offered (manager and staff). What kind of customer service allows you to complain about bed bugs, be inconvenienced by moving you to another room at 11:00 PM, not getting a good night's sleep and then gives you a $30.00 discount on a close to $300.00 hotel bill for ONE NIGHT? What a joke. That room should have been comped. I will NEVER EVER stay at this hotel again. All they had to do at the front desk was apologize and say "Mrs, your stay is all taken care of" and I most likely would not even have written this review. BUT...because of their misguided attempt at customer service, here it is. I paid for BED BUGS and a subsequent horrible night's sleep???? Seriously???? No comped room? Minimum of 50% off my bill at the least? Or hell, even free breakfast?? I am still in complete disbelief.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michelle R

I totally agree that my staff's attempt to compensate you for your inconveniance was inadequate and I will be discussing this with them immediately. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention.