Ala Moana Hotel
$254
$209
Marriott Hotels
  • Beachfront
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$199
Hotels.com
$202
$190
3,582 results
All reviewskona towerconvention centerplantation cafebeach parkbusiness tripconvenient locationcoffee makerself parkingacross the streetfront desk staffwaikiki areaocean viewstarbuckslobbyrumourskamaainahawaii
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was a little skeptical but I was travelling alone for business in the Schofield area and wanted easy access to the highway. I have stayed in Honolulu, Waikiki and Ko Olina previously for same but this was my first solo trip.

The Ala Moana hotel was easy to get to from the airport with my rental car and GPS. Valet was quick; NOT AT ALL FRIENDLY, but parking prices were as expected at $25/nt.

The lobby was fine, no long waits, no pushy time share sales and it did not look deserted as I had read previously. I was told on check in that if I had room key issues (I had read lots about this as well) to use the phone on each floor to have it rectified but I had no such issues. It took 3 swipes for my card to work in the elevator (every time) but was fine otherwise.

Room 2607 in the Waikiki Tower was a very large corner room with a kitchen (inexplicably no utensils) a separate bedroom and 2 lanais (1 a walk out with table and chairs) overlooking the ocean and the mall below. The room was clean, I had coffee every day (I did not have to pay $1) and bathroom amenities were okay (if you use condiditioner you will need to bring it but I had read this previously and brought some).

The internet was fine, I had the choice of hard-wired or wifi which was a nice surprise.

The convenience store in the lobby was good for water, snacks etc. at reasonable prices.

Access to the mall was easy, just across the 2nd level parking lot to Macy's. The food court was great and I brought alot of meals back to my room. I also bought my breakfast and lunch at the food court as there are no restaurants closeby where I was working.

I did walk to Waikiki one night at dusk and it took about 20 minutes to get to the main strip along a fairly well lit route. I took a cab back to the hotel for less than $10.

This hotel was perfect for my needs and my huge room was decently priced at $199/nt but If I was going on a family vacation I'd probably choose to stay closer to the beach.

• Stayed: March 2013
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

We are glad that the hotel met your expectations and will also be sure to address your comment with our Valet employees. Mahalo

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel because of a conference held there. The hotel lobby was clean and spacious and staff was semi-friendly but not very warm or welcoming. The rooms we stayed in were TINY and smelled strongly of mildew, but seemed to be clean other than the smell. Room had a coffee maker and mini fridge which was nice. Rooms all had a sliding door with a railed in bottom half allowing for the wonderful breeze to flow through the room (helping with the smell).

The hotel is right next to the Ala Moana Shopping Center which was great if you want to go to a mall. There was a great bar "Mai Tai Bar" outdoors with live entertainment which we spent a lot of time at because of the ease of location. The hotel is a bit of a walk from Waikiki so if you plan on spending a lot of time in that area, you should look for a different hotel. If you walk around the Ala Moana hotel at night, beware... it's a sketchy area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have stayed here a few times. Great location! had trouble with Internet in the past but looks like it works great now! Can walk to wikiki in a few minutes. Hotel staff has always been courteous. Ala moana is connected with a mall so great restaurants and shops are only a short walk away. I am a flight attendant and look forward to coming here because it is easy to experience Hawaii in a short amount of time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here from March 3-6, 2013. Found it to be clean and everyone helpful and friendly. Several nice little gift shops in the lobby level. Great access to the mall. We found the parking garage in the hotel and bit unorganized and clumsy to get in and out, as they don't seem to know what their own parking sticker/pass means. We had trouble with our rooms cards and elevator the first time or two, but after that it all worked fine,,, so perhaps that was user error! The swimming pool is not heated and it was very cold as other have stated. We had a mountain view room on the 35th floor (36 total floors) The room was very clean but somewhat small. If you are traveling to Hawaii / Oahu for the first time, stay at Turtle Bay or JW Marriott as we found food to be a problem! We could walk to the beach, just a two blocks away, very easily. No worries about that. The trolly is $2 and runs right to the hotel and mall. The hotel is right in the downtown district, and it's like any downtown district - ie Chicago/new york... lots of sirens and buses and people walking. The location was great for business. Perhaps not the best choice for a family with kids. There is no hot tub, sigh. And yes, breakfast there was just ok,,, after twice eating there we looked for other places to eat.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Mountain view, one day there was even a rainbow! We were on the 35th floor. The elevators are very fast. There was a micro/refr/coffeemaker. The tub was very small in width but appears to be standard size. Lots of hot water.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Not the most desired location, but it is very clean and very updated rooms. Service was average. Updated furniture. The can ride from the hotel to Waikiki is less than 20 dollars. Close to the beach and it is attached to the mall. Very convenient for shopping.

• Stayed: March 2013