“Nice Central Location”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed at this place in Nov 2012. Nice clean rooms. Hotel is next to Ala Moana mall- really good for some shopping. I rented a car but didn't really need it as hotel is on bus routes. Parking costs $20 per day. Nice pool and exersise rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Hope to see you back here sometime in the future. Mahalo

Write a ReviewReviews (3,394)

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Everything was better than I expected.
Perfect location, very helpful and friendly staff. Attached to the Ala Moana Mall. So convenient. Minutes from Waikiki. Our housekeeper Herminia provided us with the very best level of service. Her attenion to detail was incredible. She kept our room very clean and tidy. Highly recommend this hotel.
I now understand why most flight crews stay here.
We stayed in the Waikiki tower and we got free Wifi but the login is a little fussy.
You have to enter your email address every time you log in. Very minor issue.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank mototours
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed 5 days in October as it was close to my conference. If you are a on a budget it is reasonably priced and connected to the Ala Moana shopping complex. As it was my first time to Honolulu I wished I would have stayed closer to Waikkii. I took the bus to/from the beach (easy and cheap) daily as shopping didn't interest me. I did venture across the street to the local park on the beach one night to watch a sunset but after dark I found it scary and do not recommend it.

I loved the fact after checkout time you can keep your bags stored in the hotel lobby all day so you can see sight's without toting luggage around. Staff was pleasant but the front desk was always very busy so be prepared for a wait checking in.

The hotel was fairly clean, elevators didn't always work and a very TINY bathroom. My room was a partial city/ocean view with a balcony.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FritzyMom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I arrived at the hotel around midnight, exhausted, and needed to wake up at 5:30am for a snorkel trip. Exiting the elevator to the lobby, I stepped into a thumping club scene. It seems the hotel is home to one of Honolulu's best clubs "Rumours." That's great, but tired and scrubbed out me was not prepared nor in the mood to be greeted by club rats.
The party continues in the rooms upstairs. Drunks were yelling and running through the halls even as I was heading out to my sunrise snorkel. I didn't sleep a minute and the next night wasn't any better.
You also have to pay $20 a day to park at the hotel. I was only there for the weekend so I didn't bother looking for alternatives.
You're in the heart of the city and right next door to a huge shopping mall so the "views" are less that picture worthy. But if you're looking to shop and party, this is the hotel for you. If you want a more relaxing vacation, stay somewhere further north like Kapolei.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We do have 24 hour security who do take action when we receive complaint about noise. Mahalo

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights because we wanted to be near the ocean without paying the ritzy prices of Waikiki. Check-in was smooth and our room was clean, comfy, and quiet. As with most hotels, “ocean view” doesn’t guarantee you’ll see anything more than a sliver of water, but this hotel is a 5 minute walk to the mall, another 5 minutes to the beach, and a cheap bus ride to Waikiki. And the free wifi was definitely a nice perk.

Skip the Garden Restaurant if you stay here. The dim sum (Chinese) cuisine is very mediocre and most of the staff didn’t speak English. There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

This place is great if you don’t need luxury but still want to stay at a respectable hotel. And a special thanks to Malia at the concierge desk. She was very friendly and super helpful in planning our weekend activities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abe_Froman05
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it was nearly half the cost of the other big names while providing fantastic rooms. The service was impeccable and it's conveniently one of the first pickup locations on practically all tours or tourist activities that provide transportation. It's attached to the Ala Moana Shopping center next door so you can walk across the ramp for your morning Starbucks ;). I would definitely consider this place in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hilahhayley

Glad that you appreciated the value. Hope to see you back. Mahalo

Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you have a few days in Hawaii, there for business or family matters and not really doing the big tourist Hawaii thing, then this hotel is an ideal location with very reasonable prices.
I had been to the Ala Moana hotel in the past, to dine, dance, or have drinks (way back in the day I even worked at the night club there, Rumours) so when I returned to Honolulu to attend a wedding there in early December, I was very comfortable staying at this hotel. First I had a rate of 119 per night (AAA) discount. Jean, the front receptionist upgraded the room to accomodate two adults. There was a lanai that opened up with a partial view of the water had to lean over) and then there was the city view of the night lights. Nothing spectacular with the room but way above my expectations for 100 a night. The bed was scrupmtious! I really slept well there and I have a very nice tempurpic at home.

THere was an empty mini refrigerator and a coffee pot for use. The room was so quiet-loved that! You can walk to Waikiki-it is close enough. Also close to the bus lines if you needed (to get the UH). What I would like to go is eat at the local restaurants all within walking distance. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and even fast food -Zippys!!!- at the mall. Ala Moana beach park is across the street but it is a bit of a walk there and not safe at night. If you like to walk like I do (an walk off all the yummy local food) then you can do an early morning or sunset stroll to the the beach. Ala Moana is a great beach for families with young children or those who are not super strong swimmers). There is a pool there but we didn't use it. you need groceries, Don Quixote near by as well as a Wal Mart for getting inexpensive items, like water, shampoo, macadamia nuts to take home. If you like to shop, which I do when I am on vacation, the mall is right across the way. Had my make up done at Sephora, bought my son a suit and Macy's, got a hair cut and was ready to have a blast at the wedding.
I will be going back to the Ala Moana Hotel to visit the city and then may be hopping to an outer island for that more tropical Hawaiian vacation .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RN4Kids

Glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back here. Mahalo