“Good value for Honolulu”

Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Good value for Honolulu”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Rooms are average, but the location is great and the price is a good value. I stayed here for 18 nights on four different business trips between January through May. For me the biggest factor was price, and this was very reasonable relative to other options in the area. The rooms are small and ok. Internet works well. There is a tiny "balcony" to which the door can only be cracked open a small amount. I set my running shoes out there to dry. Sound insulation is not great; could often hear people in the surrounding rooms. The fitness center is fairly large and has good quality equipment. The great thing about this hotel is the location--within walking distance of the Ala Moana Mall (which is huge), and the Ala Moana Park with is a wonderful place to run each morning. I never ate in the hotel because there are so many, many good food options all within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Kent W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mount Vernon, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Ala Moana is a well-run, business-like hotel at the edge of the Waikiki area of Honolulu and right next to the huge Ala Moana Shopping Center. The shopping center means free parking (though not overnight), a number of useful and convenient stores (including a Barnes and Noble) and many inexpensive places to get good food within easy walking distance. From the hotel, it’s just a few minutes walk to Waikiki itself (just across the canal) and maybe 10 minutes to get well “into” the Waikiki shopping area. We chose the Ala Moana, frankly, for its location and the fact that it provides clean, modern accommodations with things we wanted (free wifi, in-room microwave and fridge, and other nice touches) without costing the full Waikiki freight. Also, a great plus in my view, there were no mandatory “resort fees” and other irritating grabs of the sort that we’d experienced or heard about in some of the Waikiki hotels. The staff we dealt with was efficient and hyper-friendly, but without being cloying or artificial. We’ll go back again.

The only thing I’d do differently next time is not bother to pay $20 a day extra for an “ocean view” room. See photo.

Room Tip: Don't bother to pay $20 a day extra for an “ocean view” room. See photo.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAH43
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

After we got bumped from our flight last night our Airline gave us a room here. Upon arriving and walking into the lobby there is loud club music blaring through the lobby from their club that is open until 3:30am. The lady that checked us in did not have the capability to smile. Every hotel I have stayed at you get a greeting with a smile... "Welcome to..." Not here. She quietly checked me in. As my family of 5 gets on the elevator 2 very drunk ladies jump on and obnoxiously punch in several wrong floors on the way up that seem to be humorous to them. Our rooms are clean but seem very dated. There is a flat screen television in the room. The bed was comfortable. All night long there were sirens heard outside. Not sure if that means its a bad area or their is a police station close by. Plenty if other hotels to pick, if its your choice pick something better.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Swanee800

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel staff were very professional, the room was well taken care of and clean and the elevator staff was nice.

On the down side the pool was not heated and, surprisingly to me, was desperately needed despite being in Hawaii. And the pool had these very sharp rocks that made it incredibly painful to walk on with bare feet. Sorry, pools are important to our vacations and it just didn't cut it.

Other than that I was pleased with the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Del Valle
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am a travel nanny so I have a tendency to rate a hotel based on experience rather than price since I don't pay for the lodging. The airlines gave us this hotel when we lost our flight and had to stay an extra day. I know they have just completed some serious renovations so all I can think of is the other reviewers were put in a different area of the hotel. We were on the 34th floor and the view was great. The hotel was well maintained, our rooms were beautiful. I had a king size bed and the parents had beds with two queens. The rooms are not huge but still a decent size for Honolulu. Yes, it is away from the madness of Waikiki Beach but it's a quick bus ride down or nice walk. Since we had spend 3 days there on our way to SF, we didn't mind being at the other quiet end of Honolulu. It is next to the huge mall if that is your thing.

It was extremely quiet, staff was very friendly and prompt to serve. The breakfast was a buffet and a very nice variety of hot and cold items. We had airplane vouchers but the expense was still reasonable at about $16 each for adults. Waiter kept the coffee going.

It really is a beautiful hotel in a section more reserved for adults. If you want the excitement of Waikiki there are buses going down there or you can arrange excursions with the concierge in the hotel.

The only reason I can think of for the other lukewarm reviews is that came before or during renovations because what I saw was a very classy hotel. No, it may not be the Ritz and it has a more Zen feel, but I liked that.

Maybe because in Waikiki I was stuck at Aston Beach Circle hotel which was small and well, not much to be said about it except location was good for Waikiki.

I didn't think the size was any smaller than other hotel room in the area that wasn't a suite.

So if you like being away from Waikiki just a bit, still a good walk or quick bus ride, then this was a nice alternative.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank familytraveler36
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here en route to Kauai and The Big Island. It's in a good location but not great. The rooms were clean but not perfect. We got our exercise in by walking about 1.5 miles to downtown Waikiki each day, but I don't mind the walk. I would suggest this for active couples / families that don't need luxury.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kmw278
Washington
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very nice hotel. Rooms a little on the small side. Conveniently located next to the Ala Moana shopping center. A bit of a walk down to Waikiki. You can ride the shuttle, but it doesn't always seem to work out very well for us, but the walk did us good. I am not real keen on the beach in front of the hotel, and there are a bit of homeless people around out in front of the mall, so you I would recommend heading into Waikiki and going to the beach there. There are some strip some strip clubs on the backside of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family