“Average at best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California
“Average at best”
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Good area. Near the beaches and just across the parking lot from the huge ala moana mall. Rooms are small and kind of dirty. I'm staying on the kona tower side. The room has a microwave and a small fridge, which is nice. AC works well. Parking for guests is $20 a day. The receptionist was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 6, 2012

When booking a room for my husband and I, I spent literally hours looking at different properties. I had never been to Hawaii before and it had been several years since my husband had been there so I had no idea where to stay. I knew we wanted to be near Waikiki but didn't want to spend a fortune. I finally settled on the Ala Moana Hotel because it was within walking distance to Waikiki and had a mall right next door but was not overly priced. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room and it had a microwave, coffee maker and refridgerator. It was also a pick-up and drop-off point for all the tours that we were going to book, which was an added bonus. The rooms were clean and well stocked with linens and the maid service was thorough when requested and since we were on the 6th floor, we slept with the sliding patio door open and even left it open during the day when we were gone with no worries of break-ins. Would I stay here again? You bet!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mykidsmylyfe
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this as a package deal and read the reviews etc. The rooms are very well priced even though I was placed in the rear of the hotel, being on holiday by myself, I couldn't care less. As long as the rooms are clean and have everything which you need, which they certainly did. The pool is clean and quiet, as is the hotel reception. The location is great for the shopping mall and lunch. The only minor points would be the distance to the beach, the information/activities desk could be a little more enthusiastic, though are very knowledgeable! I would look at staying here again, though not if the rooms were any more expensive, I'd happily pay more and look elsewhere..

Room Tip: Pay more money...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Captainatkinson
portland oregon
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Ala Moana is a classic hotel right in the heart of the strip in downtown Honolulu, next to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. I bid on a room on Priceline and got a small suite for a great price. I was on the 29th floor so the view was fantastic and I was above the hustle and bustle down below. The staff was friendly, polite, and efficient. My room was spotless. There was a King Bed and a sitting area with a chair and a love seat. On the deck, I had a table and 2 chairs.

This wasn't a designer hotel, but a very old school downtown property that has been reasonably updated. Excellent value and I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pdxmike
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the Ala Moana during a work conference and loved it. Perfect location by the beach (not as crowded as wakiki) and running path, and also beside a giant mall! The hotel is quiet at night and has a fridge and microwave which is really handy on vacation. It was also pretty cheap for being in Hawaii! I do love hotels with free breakfast, but this one was ok without..

The gym is nice, but why bother when there is a park literally across the street where you can run along the Ocean? Lots of food around at the food court at the mall and also if you walk away from the beach there is a Don quioto (local grocery store) which is perfect for stocking up on souvenirs!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jasmine H
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel twice in the month of August, 2012. The first time was for a get together with friends and the second time was for a staycation since our daughter was in town. Both times we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The first visit, the view was facing the pool area and very nice! The room was clean and comfortable. Checking in was fast and the desk people were very pleasant, not rude like other people have posted. I don't know what hotel they were in but the staff at the Ala Moana were great. Although there were not too many dining options other than the Royal Kitchen and another restaurant, we walked to the Ala Moana Shopping Center...no problem. The breakfast buffet that is offered is very good. Overall, the Ala Moana Hotel is a good place to stay at even for local people like us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chris730
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for four nights on our recent Oahu trip and enjoyed our stay very much. We first arrived to discover that they had booked a room with two beds instead of a big king. The front desk happily moved us in to a new room on the spot at no charge. We also got a gorgeous view of the ocean and Ala Moana Beach Park (from the 27th floor)! It was amazing to sit out on the balcony to watch the sunset in the evenings and to relax outside in the calm mornings. On-site self-parking was provided for about $20/day. The lots tends to get full but they had staff on hand to help you out at all hours.

I think the big perk of this hotel is that you can take the escalator/elevator to the 2nd floor and just walk across the sky bridge to Ala Moana Center. This is a HUGE mall with enough shopping and food options to take care of you for a week. Very, very nice to have this available to you next door. Great for shopping, eating, grabbing coffee, or just picking up last minute items (water, sunscreen, etc.) at the ABC Store.

The concierge service was excellent here. In particular, a gentleman named Brent was extremely polite and helpful. We booked quite a few events at the last minute, and he scrambled making phone calls and setting us up for everything from luau's to Pearl Harbor tours to just getting driving directions to a nice restaurant and a map. Don't lose this guy, Ala Moana Hotel! He's top notch :)

We'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple