“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Broome
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I would like to start by saying that this is a budget hotel/vacation rental, you get what you pay for. It is not the Ritz but it is in a great location and is comfortable and clean. This places major asset is Tina (office lady). I have never met someone so helpful and kind! She truly makes your stay enjoyable!

We stayed 7 days in December during the marathon and the price couldn't be beat! I have given 4 stars as it is a little dated, wifi must be payed for and you do need to clean the room and bedding yourself before you leave (or pay the $50 fee and they will do it), but all of this makes it that much more affordable!

If your on a budget and reasonably flexible this is the place for you.

Please ignore the person below that cant make their own bed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kate C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
SF Penninsula
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Upon arrival, I checked in at the office next to the pool. The pool area was surrounded by rundown apartments overlooking it. Upon a late arrival, I got to the room and discovered the dirty bedding from the previous customer wadded up on the table by the dresser. When I requested the room to be cleaned, I was told they had no help at this hour and they would provide me with linens to change the bed myself. I told them that was unacceptable. The desk clerk called his manager and handed me "his personal cell phone" to talk with the manager. I told the manager it was her responsibility to take care of this and she told me that was not an option tonight. Finally, the desk clerk did bring new linens and change the bed for me. There were no curtains; instead there were vertical blinds which were missing multiple slats, thus, no privacy at night. This “motel at best” needs major renovation. There are no outlets in the bathroom. I did not use the kitchenette facilities in fear that the appliances may short out and catch fire and the dishes, etc were dirty. There are no phones in the room and since I had to unplug the alarm clock to plug in my phone charger bring your own alarm clock as well as ‘Febreze’!!! The only saving grace is the prime location; however, for the price I suggest splurging an extra $30 a night and you will be 500% happier!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Flyanbfree
Honolulu
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hi everyone, Tina here! My wonderful manager, Rachel, and I are no longer with the Polynesian Plaza. No doubt, I am positive it is still a great place to stay, though! I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that it was truly an honor meeting all of the awesome people who decided to stay with us. It is YOU that made the Polynesian Plaza amazing! Thank you all for filling my heart with such beautiful memories. I will carry those memories and the friendships I have made along the way with me forever. Aloha ~ Tina

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
13 Thank Tina V
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I feel compelled to write this review because my last review of the Polynesian Plaza no longer applies. The Polynesian Plaza is no longer a "50's style hotel, where one was welcomed as family . It has been bought and is managed by a chain. The prices have of course gone up a great deal and weekly and monthly rates are now a thing of the past.
I was sorry to see this friendly, affordable piece of paradise close down to be turned into yet another corporate investment. Sign of the times I suppose, and mourned by many if not all, of it's faithful, returning clientele, as much as by it's long time residents. I shall certainly miss both the Polynesian Plaza and it's family of guests and employees alike.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank traveltoonsbymp t
Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My sister, my mom and my baby girl stayed @ Polynesian Plaza for a month. We were very thankful to find Polynesian Plaza as it's located in the heart of waikiki, it has the best price to be in waikiki, and most importantly, they have the best managing personnel. Many thanks to Tina for providing the best customer service. Furthermore, it's close to anykind of shop you will ever dreamed of. It's only walking distance from ROSS and that just made my trip! LOL! It's close to the beach, all fast food, starbucks, grocery stores, gas stations, bus stop and even post office. It has a very nice swimming pool, library and affordable laundry area. Polynesian Plaza is the best place to be while you're in honolulu. I highly recomment to anyone who's traveling to honolulu for anykind of reason, for vacation, medical, government or anything. You will not regret! Again, thank you Tina and your kind manager for all your kind help, we do really appreciate it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank BabyCandy12
Penticton, BC
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I can't agree more with the comments about this hidden gem of Waikiki. We rented 2 rooms. One for my parents and 1 for my family of 3 (which is the max that can fit in a room).
We are simple folks so for us it worked out great. Clean, tidy, fresh sheets and towels. We actually loved the fact that no one comes into your room during the week. They have a working elevator for my parents and we took the stairs. I won't repeat what people have stated before but we did take along some things for cooking misc. and we also took along some dried goods. There is no salt or pepper or sugar so we just happen to take some from home. The thing my 12 year old loved about this place was the fact we could use their boogy boards and beach chairs for free. We loved the location and really the price and comments on tripadvisor is what sold us. Unfortuantely, while we were there, this property is in the process of being sold and turned into a 4 star resort. I feel for the long term tenants. Wonderful people who welcomed us to their Friday morning coffee social and asked if we had plans for Christmas. They wanted to make sure everyone had somewhere to go.
I'm thankful for this place and I'm sorry to see it go. It is a great prime property but all good things do come to an end including our vacation but we will be back Waikiki. Hopefully we find another great gem like this place.
Oh, also thank you for your wonderful warm welcome Tina, It was nice to finally have met you in person. All the best to you!

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank SeniorityGroup
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

I'm still here at Polynesian Plaza but I just had to say, the reviews are an accurate reflection of what you'll receive here.

We are a honeymooning couple on a tight budget and just starting our works travels for four months. For an average $82 a night, this centrally located, basic but comfortable place in a great spot is perfect. Cable TV is a bonus we didn't expect.

Right in the middle of Waikiki and so close to everything you might need, I would definitely recommend Polynesian Plaza to friends. The wifi is a bit slow and unpredictable but who really needs to spend all that time on the net when there is so much to see?

A huge mahalo to Tina for all her kind assistance, what an asset to Polynesian Plaza!

• Stayed December 2012