“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #82 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the PP in July and were welcomed by a lovely note with chocolates as our flight was delayed. Tina was wonderfully helpful and gave us a wealth of local knowledge to help us find our way around. The hotel (which is very comfortable and kept nice and clean) is positioned in a perfect place for a walk around the lovely shops and down to the beach (which is my idea of paradise by the way), if you couldn't drag yourself away from the pool. All in all a fabulous holiday and we would definitely return. Mahalo to Tina and the rest of the staff.
Chelle & Mick

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Chelle0404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed September 26, 2012

While looking for a reasonably priced hotel accommodation in Honolulu, I found Polynesian Plaza in the web but while the reviews were all positive, initially I had some reservations because not all web reviews are reliable based on personal experience. I once booked and stayed in a hotel somewhere after reading glowing reviews and nice hotel pictures in the web but it turned out to be a dump. From then on, I decided that web reviews are hit and miss.

Polynesian Plaza rooms are fully furnished, very comfortable and strategically located right on Kalakaua Ave. The Saratoga and Kuhio Ave. bus stops are just a short walk away. The US Post office is also nearby and so are ABC Stores aand 7-11. Designer shops (Coach, Chanel, YSL, Tod's, etc.) are just across the street from Polynesian Plaza.

As Polynesian Plaza is a vacation rental and not a hotel, the admin office was closed on the day I arrived, a Saturday. But Tina sent me explicit instructions by email on how I could get my key and which key opens the main door and the elevator and suggested an airport shuttle which cost me only $12. When I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised to find a carpeted, spacious and squeaky clean room with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. Our room which was at the back has a balcony overlooking the swimming pool had a flat screen TV, window-type aircon unit, refrigerator, round table with two chairs, coffee table with a chair, a kitchenette (with microwave oven, hot plate, coffee maker, dish drainer and rack, plates, cups, knives and flatware and kitchen towels). Inside the bathroom was a closet which had more than 2 dozen hangers, a steam iron and ironing board and a hair dryer. It also had the bathroom amenities of a hotel. At the end of the corridor is the garbage disposal -- very clean, dry and no smell. On the third and fourth floors are coin-operated washers and dryers.

Wifi access is available by signing up with Hawaiian Telecom's Skywave. You need to inform Tina so she can give you a discount code. We could not wait for the admin office to open, so we signed up with Skywave easily, although at times it was crawling and a nearby wifi was faster than Skywave.

We stayed in Polynesian Plaza for 10 days but wished we stayed longer. Tina and her housekeeping staff made sure that everything in Polynesian Plaza worked. On our next trip to Hawaii,we shall definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, facing the swimming pool.
7 Thank mme1030
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the PP recently for a week and must say previous reviews were pretty accurate. Dealing with the booking and the check-in procedure (we arrived on Sunday when reception unattended) was an absolute delight. Yes, Tina, you are a marvel and I hope your boss appreciates you. While initially taken aback by the decor and the interesting bathroom, we loved that the place was situated so close to the buzz of Waikiki. If you are looking for budget accommodation, a great location, security and a $2.50 return bus trip to shopper heaven Ala Moana (yayyy!) this is the place to stay. We had a room overlooking the pool and it was quiet (save for our noisy air conditioner). Good coffee found so close at Kimo Bean, the back exit of the PP, addictive breakfast banana waffles and friendly staff a big plus. Also fantastic restaurants close by. Try Arancino over the road from the HRC, great value, beautiful food and excellent wine list, however, you have to queue to book (sometimes 45-60 minutes) but well worth the wait. Also W.D. Changs is a must. Big, noisy, busy but great service, huge serves and excellent value. Although we planned to cook in our room (hah!) eating out was the way to go. Can't wait for my next Hawaiian holiday!

Room Tip: Poolside room was quiet.
5 Thank breeza49er
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Location, location, location it says it all.......this wee home away from home could not be better situated. I stayed there for a week with my family and found this little jewel in Paradise to have it all. One complaint....too many shops so close at hand.....shoppers Heaven !!!
Tina was amazing, nothing was too much trouble for her, we had an apartment facing the road and believe it or not heard no traffic noise at night apart from the odd siren.
And oh those beds.....so so comfortable like sleeping on a cloud !!!!
We WILL be back......

8 Thank Bry46
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed there recently, & I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was wonderful, from booking, until we checked out. The place was quiet & very convenient, sitting just one block from the beach. It has a hidden paradise appeal to it. It's not a full service venue, but the room was clean, & the price was very reasonable. I will be staying there again...

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank DJRoque
Torrance, California
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed here for a week I was visiting a friend that was staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach I needed a place to sleep and get cleaned up so I stayed here. Gotta say it was great super convenient just up Beachside Drive and Kalakaua from Outrigger Reef and next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. Older place probably built in the seventies but met folks that had been coming here for a long time even living there. The management I met were great people very helpful. I had a room facing Kalakaua so it was a little noisy but you could barely hear it and I was out of my room by noon and at the beach anyway. Had a nice pool kitchenette with fridge, 2 burner hotplate and microwave, nice bed and it was very clean. You can stay here for what it would cost you two nights at a beachfront hotel and I walked home from the Shorebird after a last drink in less than five minutes. I'll definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was the Kalakaua front location a pool room might be bette...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank kbarber7
Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

A wonderful little community! Great location, easily accessible, service fantastic, rooms themselves are a little dated but have everything you'll need! Pool is brilliant, everyone here is so helpful and only too willing to pass on information & assist where possible.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms get the afternoon sun but awnings help block out the heat! Street view rooms have g...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple