“Old Hawaii”

Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
California
“Old Hawaii”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

It seemed like I had stepped back in time to the 1960's Hawaii I knew from the Gidgit movies. I timed it just right to make then annual holiday party. It was a warm fragrant night around the pool with wonderful food at the potluck dinner. There were two excellent women musicians strolling the crowd playing your favorite Hawaiian or holiday song and teaching the Hula.
The location could not be better, you step out the front door and you are in a modern teaming city, Hawaii style. This room has to be the best price for miles around. I felt safe and welcome. Don't expect anything fancy.

Room Tip: choose a pool view room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank belovedparis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Ok, so there are a million choices in Waikiki but I am so pleased that I booked here for Christmas week. The location is ideal, the room was large and comfortable. The price was fantastic. I cannot wait to return! Thanks to Tina for making our stay a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank John H
British Columbia
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The location is excellent. The beach is close, the buses stop nearby, and the manager is wonderful. The rooms are well equipped (except for a phone and internet) The rooms at the back of the building overlooking the somewhat cold pool are probably the quietest. The higher floors get more sun and are more private. There is noise at night from nearby restaurants so we slept with the patio door closed and the A/C on. The building is clean but our room was old and worn. Other than a colorful bedspread it was very bare and very plain. The cupboards, sink, closet, carpet and other fixtures are decades old and while functional are just not very attractive. If decor is important you might want to look elsewhere. You have to clean the room yourself before you leave or pay $55 extra. This includes doing the towels and sheets. We spent a few hours on this and it used up most of our last morning. Internet was not included in the price but we found an neighbouring unlocked network accessible from our room so check before you pay extra.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
17 Thank rivername
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have been vacationing from Ontario, Canada, at the "Polynesian Plaza" Waikiki, since 1977. The manager "Rachel" and I have been exchanging Christmas Cards every year since. ( would you believe she still looks as young and beautiful as I first remembered, must be the Hawaiian air I say! ) Rachel has been the manager all those years, so this is a sign of a good business! Having many hotels to choose from, I indeed have always returned, when Hawaii Calls, to the " Polynesian". A perfect location, steps away from all the designer stores and art galleries, eateries, convenience stores, lei stands, and Waikiki Beach! You will feel like you are actually living in Hawaii, because the studio apartment units are wonderfully equipt with everything you may have at home. The kitchenettes are a bonus, fridge, microwave, hotplates, dishes, so no need for expensive room service breakfasts! "Eggs and Things" restaurant steps away as well. This hotel is quiet, there are banana trees and swaying palms right outside your private balconies , overlooking a kidney shaped pool,and sundeck, all very clean and well maintained. Privacy and security are assured, it is peaceful and friendly. From my lania I could see the most beautiful coloured birds, with songs from the islands. I am almost afraid to admit, at the "Polynesian Plaza", the Price is so good, I really (selfishly) don't want to advertise:) I would be dissappointed to miss out on My suite! There are shuttles and taxis from the Airport that are affordable and plentiful. "To The Beach" Aloha! The staff at Polynesian Plaza is very helpful and conversational. They will help you pronounce Hawaiian words, assist you with reservations and suggest the best tours and sights and luaos, and will make your get away comfortable and beautiful. I should mention, since I have visited Hawaii throughout the years, I can not help but notice, Rachel loves to decorate! I have seen changes every so often, in colour sheme and new drapes, feature wallpapers, lamps,and slip covers. Oh, and flatscreen tv's. Lately she has opted for the white and cream linen looks. Picture orchids and natural tone on tone, blush and soft prints, a spa feeling clean and uncluttered. The bathrooms are big, with a full length closet to hang clothes, dressing area, separate cupboards to store your luggage, there is even an ironing board and iron, and plenty of hangers. Extra sheets and towels, you really don't need to bring much. The location is very upscale with Trump just down the street, and tropical flowers and water features everywhere. You can walk to all the major hotels the Moana or Royal Hawaiian and Hilton Hawaiian Village. A local bus stop, will take you all the way to Hanauma Bay for snorkelling, for a couple dollars. You can walk a few blocks to the Honolulu Zoo and Kapulani Park, Queens Surf, so scenic and so close to the Polynesian Plaza. A beautiful outdoor Shopping Mall and Beach at Ala Moana Shopping Plaza, a short hop as well. All and all, I wish each contemplating traveller who reads my post here, that I have nothing bad to say at all about this location.Streets of tiki torches, and a lilt of Hawaiian hula floating musically in the air. Your private Studio apartment awaits. All with a view. It kind of feels like a cottage or your second home, it does not have a starched feeling of a busy and expensive five star, nor the high prices. Kind of refreshing not having to tip everyone who holds a door for you, or simply smiles at you! It's all just people, kind of like yourself, enjoying Hawaii for a few months or a couple weeks.A well deserved, and dreamed of for years, Holiday! You can join in for a morning coffee with the other guests, or as I , just kind of remain on your own, doing your own thing. I did bring a guest along from Canada, on a couple occasions, it was just perfect. I was proud and happy in showing off the place :) I can't wait to go back and am so grateful to have found The Polynesian! A home away from home ( as the Canadian snow is now pelliting off my window up here in the North) Rachel, I need to win the lottery so I can live in Hawaii all year round, BUT in the mean time, I am happy there is somewhere that I know, where it is affordable, and beautiful and HAWAII ! thank you ( you can't ever retire ok) Aloha * ^^^^^ JB

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
18 Thank Jim B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Ideal for longer term rentals, this is an older hotel reminescent of the old plantation hotels. Located across from the Waikiki post office it is only two blocks from the beach and on the main strip of Kalakaua with all the restaurants, boutiques and shops. It is very clean and well kept and for solo women travellers it offers really good security. The Polynesian plaza is possibly the best deal in Waikiki offering good size studios with kitchenette and lanai. The hotel has it's own garden and pool. I loved that it was so close to the beach and for local color backed onto the friendliest little Tiki bar, and if you sail it is minutes to the marina. No maid service but a friendly and efficient staff.
I've stayed two months and enjoyed every minute!

Room Tip: Higher up and garden side!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
24 Thank traveltoonsbymp t
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I were here for the first time back in the '90's and last year March we were staying at another hotel and decided to check it out to see if it still existed and we were so thrilled to see it again and now just spent the whole month of April here! It is an older property and older decor and rooms, but, we found it to be exactly what we wanted. Tina and Rachel, who manage the property are wonderful people and are there for you in every way (even in situations when you make stupid decisions outside of the hotel!) and we also loved getting to know the other people who come to this hotel for months at a time. Very good value for your money. We actually would prefer NOT to write a review because we don't want it to become so popular that we are not able to get in!!! We can't wait to be back again next year for another month or so. There is a cozy courtyard with a great pool and you are close to everything in Waikiki. Great little "home away from home" place!

Room Tip: Just give them a call or e-mail!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
18 Thank BillandGrace
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Again the location is perfect
The accommodations are perfect for my needs
The security gives a good nights sleep
The surrounding area is very safe for solo travelers both M/F
Modest cooking accommodations surpass my needs
Friday 8am coffee is complements of hotel
You will get to know and enjoy most other guests
Many from Canada-Europe-good mix from the Mainland
Byefornow see you later this year
Michael