“Cheap and clean” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waikiki Beachside Hostel

Waikiki Beachside Hostel
“Cheap and clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Hostel was exactly as expected for $30 a night. Basic but very clean, with kitchenette and plenty of extras like free breakfast and local phone calls. Doug was great and went out of his way to help, as was the other guy on reception. Unfortunately the same couldnt be said of the ladies - they just werent as keen to help. So if you are looking to book tours or need help on what to see I'd say ask the guys. It was quite a noisy hostel but that didnt bother me.

I almost didnt stay here due to other reviews about bed bugs - but glad I did as we had no problems.

Maholo.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Vivethejourney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

If you are looking for a cheap place with a lot of (young) people ready to make party- it's defintively the place to be! The hostel is very well situated ( 3-5 min to waikiki beach). I was in a 8 dorms (2 benk beds per room). My room was noisy and the confort was basic, but there is a kitchen, a microwave and hot water, So if you are not afraid by the noise, it's really a good deal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed in the Waikiki beachside hostel in March 2010 and although I did enjoy parts of my trip with a good value-for-money bbq and surfboard rental, the stay was ruined by my hostel room being infested with bedbugs. I moved bed twice and everytime I went to sleep, I ended up being bitten. I counted over 90 bites on my body in the shower at one point. It made the stay very unpleasant, as it meant that you dreaded going to sleep every night and that is not something that you want from a hostel whose main purpose is to give you a bed for the night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank davidhl
WaikikiBeachside, Manager at Waikiki Beachside Hostel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear David

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online which I have just received. I am extremely concerned about your comments relating to our bed bug issue. I sincerely apologize for any and all inconvenience this may have caused you. Our hostel runs a monthly routine preventative maintenance program with Terminix Pest Control Company so that these events should not occur. We can assure you that we are consistently committed to keeping our rooms pest-free. This is not at all representative of the quality of our rooms and we have taken necessary action to make sure we are brought back to the level of exceptional standards immediately.

Your feedback has been very much appreciated in order for our team to review and work on improving our place. If you do come and visit Hawaii again, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I may personally take care of your arrangements and ensure your next experience with us is a fantastic one.

Sincerely yours,
Rebecca Garcia
Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Was there for three nights I Stayed in a room that faced the street, there were only partial window dressings that we're broken. there was no privacy for changing and the street light shone straight in. With no air con or fans the option was to leave window open unfortunately the smokers sat under the window so the room copped the smoke
There was a lot of left over junk in the room from previous visitors making it messy and unclean
Breakfast was provided 9-10am I was always gone by then so can't comment on it.
Staff were very friendly and great ambassadors for the area.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank HeatherClifton
Almelo, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

After almost 3 weeks travelling in Hawaii, my sister and I decided to spend the last 3 days at Waikiki. A huge contrast. From laidback islands to a big city. We stayed at this hostel and it was just perfect. It's just one minute walk from the beach, the staff is very friendly, 24/7 open, location PERFECT, good hygiene, clean, and a very good atmosphere. Nothing then only positive words for this hostel. We payed $ 75,- a night for a semi-private room and it is well worth it!
Keep in mind that every bar, club, etc at Waikiki close at night around 3.30 AM. So there is a lot of noise. It didn't bother me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, I'd like to say a massive thank you to Travis and the guys at the hostel. They were all very informative and made me feel completely at ease. Travis showed us some really nice beaches and party spots.
The hostel was clean. Andy, the chief cooked yummy meals for $8 every night and is lovely. The location is great. Two minute walk to the beach, zoo and shops.

I met Rebecca (manager) once and she looked like she didn't want to be there. She needs to put a smile on her dial!

Special thanks to Travis, Doug, Tim, Buddy and Andy. Without the five of you, my stay wouldn't of been the same!! Would come back for sure!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Beachside hostel is located 1 block behind waikiki beach front, only 1 min walk to the beach, 3 min walk to the market and 20second walk to ABC store (small supermarket). Staff are so friendly, willing to help any one out and are available 24/7.
best key system over, not keys, not key card, just a rubber band around ur arm to unlock ur door, means no loosing your keys, not getting locked out which has happened in past hostels.
Rooms were clean and kitchens had all the equipment to cook anything, great while been on a budget.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple