“Nice - needs some investment”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Tampa
“Nice - needs some investment”
Reviewed December 25, 2005

For as much as they are charging at this truly delightful place, I would hope they are planning on adding a few amenities. It is on a great beach. The food was fantastic, as were the Mai Tais. The staff was very nice. The location was perfect.

But aesthetically, it's stuck in 1972. The beds are not so great. The rooms need some work. The bathrooms are the small tile kind and t-i-n-y. And I had a suite.

I'd stay there again, but for the price I'll be shopping before my next trip.
I'll still go back for the Mai Tais though. ;-)

• Stayed November 2005
12 Thank pablus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Polish first
oakland, ca
Reviewed November 17, 2005

Early October 2005 we stayed in a room facing Diamond Head; the view was so beautiful I didn't want to close the drapes. Rooms are modest but adequate. Quiet location, but really close to all the action in Waikiki. Great beach and swimming just out the front door. Beachside restaurant you shouldn't miss even if you don't stay here. Check the hotel's website for best prices. Taxi from airport recommended; this is the last shuttle stop, it takes quite a time to get there.

18 Thank oaksybosrmsw
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2005

The hotel was perfect for our trip. Far enough from the crowds to be quiet, but close enough to restaurants and my meeting to be convenient. Staff was extremely courteous, rooms were clean (although small as others have observed), view of the park and ocean was great. Very relaxing, very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank Sron
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 4, 2005

I was worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews here but I had a great stay here. It is at the very Diamond Head end of Waikiki, but it is really only a short walk into town. If you are going to the way other end of Waikiki it is a long walk, my freinds were staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village so to meet them there was somewhat difficult, but it was easy to get to Central Waikiki. I had a room with 2 twin beds to myself. The room was smaller than the Hilton, but it really was enough, I was barely in the room ever. The beach in front of the hotel is also very nice. It's blocked off from the main beach by some sort of run down war memorial so for part of the walk to town, you can't walk along the beach.

Another review said there were bugs in the room but I didn't see any. Someone also complained about the A/C, it is a modern unit with digital temperature controls I was quite comfortable even with it right over the bed. Since it is a smaller hotel, service is much more personal. Also the restaurant is excellent. I had a four course prix fixe meal which was the best I had my whole trip.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
12 Thank carljn
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2005

This hotel is a hidden gem in the overcrowded and overpriced area of Waikiki. We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is a smaller hotel that has great service, a great location (for us), and a beautiful beach. My husband and I are in our mid-30s without kids. We wanted to visit Waikiki, but we also wanted to try and minimize the amount of screaming children we saw as well. The location, the size, and the price of this hotel were the main reasons we chose it.

The hotel is past the zoo, and away from the mounds of people staying around the main Waikiki area. It is around a 15 minute walk from the hotel down to where Duke’s is located. It was nice waking up every morning and taking the 10 minute walk down to Starbucks. Got the blood flowing and got to see all the people getting ready to start their day (surfers heading to the beach, people playing tennis, other people just getting outside for a nice morning walk).

From what we could tell, most of the hotels centrally located in Waikiki were so close to one another, and they didn’t seem to have much of a beach area to relax on. The Sans Souci Beach the hotel sits on is huge, beautiful, and not crowded!

The open air hotel lobby, bar and restaurant were nice and had wonderful views of the beach and ocean. We stayed in the Ocean Front Deluxe room. I read previous reports about the rooms being small. However, our room was very large. Maybe the key to this hotel is to pay a little more and get the nicer rooms? We were on the 3rd floor and had amazing views of the beach, ocean, the rest of Waikiki, and Diamond Head. The room was clean, and the maid service did a great job each day keeping it clean and giving us fresh linens. The price for this view and the room was super compared to the prices at some of the other more popular hotels.

My husband and I could not stop talking about how great our little hotel find was. It didn’t have amazing furniture, but the bed was comfy enough. It didn’t have a huge bathtub & bathroom, but the shower and the sink were clean and worked just fine. It wasn’t in the middle of all the Waikiki action, but it was quiet and peaceful. It didn’t have a huge price tag, but it had the most amazing view from the huge lanai.

If you want to visit Waikiki - but don’t want to break the bank and still have an ocean front view - check out this hotel.

• Stayed September 2005
46 Thank demi
Palmdale, CA
Reviewed July 26, 2005

We stayed here in June, 05. The hotel room was small but roomy enough for two of us. It was very clean and not a bug in site! The staff: Chris and Roger at the bell desk and Angela the maid were great. The beach here is worth the extra dollars, one day we saw at least 20 different fish with our snorkel equipment, and didn't have to drive to get there! Please get some surf/sand shoes, the small coral pieces are hard to walk on. It was far enough from the main Waikiki crowd to feel private and close enough to walk to. The beautiful Kapiolani Park is another plus for this hotel. You can watch/participate in cycling, frisbee football, volleyball and picnics galore. We'd stay here again!

• Stayed June 2005