“Beautiful beach!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Beautiful beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed at the New Otani for 4 days at the end of our Hawaiian honeymoon. We spent the majority of our honeymoon on the Big Island, but wanted a few days in Oahu to relax and check out the Pearl Harbor memorial. We picked this hotel because we wanted something a little more quiet than the hustle and bustle of Waikiki beach. It is located on the far end of the beach, down near Diamond Head. Also, we got a very good deal on this hotel. We were able to get a beach front room for the same price of a non-view room at comparable hotels down on Waikiki beach.

Our room was modern and recently renovated. It was a gorgeous corner room with views of both the Honolulu skyline as well as the ocean. It was great to sit out and relax on the balcony overlooking the ocean. Awesome sunsets. Service in the hotel was good - - we ate dinner at the restaurant and had great meal. The beach is really nice there too. No pool, but you didn't really miss it with the great sandy beach. It was about a 10 or 15 minute walk down the beach to Waikiki, which was perfect for us. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sara210

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Polish first
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

At the quiet end of Waikiki this hotel exceeded our expectations. Quiet, relaxed and absolutely wonderful hotel staff. The staff were always extremely helpful and all genuinely friendly. We stayed in a moderate room. They are small and showing signs of age, but we knew that would be the case as the rooms were accurately described on the hotel website. The Hau Tree Lanai restaurant is a real treat for breakfast and offers one of the best Loco Mocos around. Pupus at the Sunset Lounge is a lovely way to end the day and Gerry makes a great Mai Tai and Margarita. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a beachfront location with great swimming beach, but doesn't want to battle the crowds on Waikiki.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue E
Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I chose this hotel because of the many positive reviews it got. Either I'm staying at an entirely different hotel or guest have low standards for boutique hotel. I am staying in the main building. The lobby area looks reasonable and the dining area overlooking the beach is exceptional. When I reach my floor, it's dark and dingy. The layout looks more like a motel.the walls need painting and quite bare. A few cheap paintings would help the aesthetics. The basic room is just that. 1970's looking and small. The view is not bad with diamond head to the left and the beach around the corner on the right. Breakfast is expensive. A buffet would work better. The access to the beach is great. The surrounding area is nice and quite but dark and a bit scary at night. If I paid outright cash for this room I would re-book. I used my points for this can't have too many expectations.i can't say that I would ever consider this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HennaHands
KaimanaHotel, Director of Sales at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and review on Trip Advisor. The category you were in was Moderate room, which is our most economical room out of 16 other categories here at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. This room has undergone "soft" renovations over the past years, however we are planning to do a complete overhaul renovation later in 2014-2015. Your patronage is important to us and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you in the future. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention. Mahalo Nui Loa, from the staff and management at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a wonderful time at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel during our stay in August 2013. I booked this hotel via hotwire and got a really good deal (all other hotels were fully booked and extremely expensive during summer time). We had a room with the ocean view and saw the beautiful Waikiki sunset. They also have this automatic A/C system, the A/C turns off by itself when you open the door/window in your room. It's very energy efficient and I really liked it. The only down side (or maybe good side for some) is the hotel is off the Waikiki strip. If you don't have a car, it's quite inconvenient to get around because cabs are expensive. However, if you want a silent romantic getaway this is a perfect location. I would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank amyhktsang
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel for 10 days in September 2013. The hotel is in a great location and the beach and swimming as well as snorkeling right there are fantastic. It was great to be able to walk a short distance to get anywhere we wanted and needed to go! The views from the room were amazing. The staff were all exceptional with great service (other than the Miyako restaurant where we had a reservation, were ignored and left due to the horrible female server there who needs to retire!). The rest of the staff were more than friendly and always willing to please! The hotel and rooms were very clean and up to date. The Hau Tree Lanai and the Sunset Lanai Lounge were fantastic, but we do not recommend the Miyako Restaurant at all! Do not hesitate to book yourself in to this hotel! We hope to return in the near future!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean and city have a fantastic view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M C
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is my 3rd trip to Hawaii. It seemed like hotel rates have increased more than expected since my last trip a couple of years ago. My usual inexpensive hotels were not available so I took a chance on New Otama Kahaima Hotel, especially since it was off of the Waikiki strip. Here is a list of the pros and cons of the hotel based on my needs and experience. Note that my discounted stay was NOT in the main building.

Pros
-quiet room, some yahoos in the hallway or outside building, couldn't hear much of my neighbours
-high taps & railing in bathtub
-a bit of a view of the beach, room faced park
-clean
-kitchenette, & stocked with supplies
-going to hotel; bus stops close to hotel
-lovely restaurant overlooking beach(did not get a chance to eat here)

Cons
-night mgr, no smile, not friendly, knew I paid with Hotwire & tried to convince me I had gotten a better deal than I knew, gave me their rate brochure; my room was in a separate bldg than the main hotel, nice room but not worth that much more than the rate I paid
-has no elevator in low rise building(for standard rate rooms)
-not in main hotel
-too soft mattress
-shower and toilet room quite small (sink in a separate room)
-air con made some odd but quietish sounds but didn't keep me awake=older appliances
-far from main area, which suited me fine but shouldn't be in the same price league with those closer to stores, restaurants, and main bus stops
-have to pay for internet
-leaving hotel; no bus stops close to hotel, about a 10 min walk with your luggage in tow
in the hot sun or possibly in the rain

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank pineapple-hula
Carmel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

For vacation, we like to to relax and be central to the water sports we like to do. I am in the hotel business so when I was first told we were going to Honolulu to celebrate my birthday, I stereotyped the island (still beautiful, but hustle bustle compared to others) and I had been to Honolulu on a number of occasions. I wasn't exactly as thrilled as I would normally be as I like to relax away from tourism when on holiday. This gem truly surprised me. We had an incredible renovated ocean view studio, footsteps to the Outrigger Canoe Club. The service provided by a smiling hospitable staff, was always outstanding. The food at Hau Tree is consistently delicious n a most pristine setting. Breakfast reservations are definitely recommended. Once rested up on my beach vacation, it was an easy adventure into Waikiki on foot. This is a place of true aloha and charm...we intend to return to for years to come.

Room Tip: Worth the splurge to have a view, even if only partial. For whatever reason, we saw fireworks over W...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple