The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$169
$525
$305
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$215
Agoda.com
$197
  • Breakfast included
1,007 results
All reviewshau treekapiolani parksans souci beachdiamond headminute walkwaikiki skylinewrap around balconyprivate beachquiet end of waikikiquiet sideocean frontquiet hotelthe main hotelconvenience storehomeless peoplethe hotel's websiterooms are small
Reviewed August 16, 2008

The Kaimana Beach Hotel is situated in the shadow of Diamond Head on Sans Souci Beach, and across from Kapi'olani Park. Incidentally, Kaimana is Hawaiian for diamond, and this hotel is definitely a gem. Built in the late-1940's on the site of the former McInerny Cottage, which was a tasteful Victorian design with an ocean lanai and wood railing under a distinctive hau tree whose shade was enjoyed by Robert Louis Stevenson.

The distinguished tree and wood railing have been integrated into today's Kaimana's dining treasure "The Hau Tree Lanai," an ideal venue for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's the most relaxing oceanfront restaurant in Honolulu. Renovated in the mid-60's, when the nine story tower was added, it has a retro look on the exterior, but an open, breezy lobby which imparts a tropical feel. No pool, but Sans Souci is a great beach, replete with local eye candy.

The Kaimana was acquired by the vaunted New Otani chain of Japan, which has thus far wisely kept the Hawaiian ambiance that insures it remains a standard amongst locals, both the native-born and kama'aina, for dining and receptions. For instance when returning from a morning jog around Kapi'olani Park under the port a chere I bumped into a law school schoolmate who was then serving as Lieutenant Governor.

Close to the Honolulu Zoo, away from the hustle and bustle of mainstream tourist strip, and located past the Aquarium and the World War I Memorial Natatorium, the Kaimana brackets the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. It's a short, but picturesque drive from the shops, cinemas, and restaurants of Kahala Mall.

Location is probably why the property imparts a club-like, but casual, air of exclusivity. New Otani has avoided the mistake of overdeveloping their site. While hardly bargain priced, its prices provide better value than Honolulu's two grande dames further up Kalakaua Avenue.

As a result there exists is a wide diversity of accommodations in the Kaimana's inventory. The corner suites are to die for, most of the junior suites are enviable, but they also have some rooms which afford hardly enough room in which to open one's suitcase.

The GM, Jean-Pierre Cercillieux, has a colorful leadership reputation that no doubt inspires his staff. On our recent stay we encountered a reservation glitch, and an Internet disconnect. In each case the staff quickly and cheerfully addressed each problem. However, we're still waiting to confirm if we received our WorldPerks bonus points.

Overall the location, view, beach, service, and food combine to make this gem at the foot of Diamond Head a "home away from home" to which the members our family enjoy returning.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
7  Thank GeorgeFarris
Reviewed July 22, 2008

This hotel was exactly what I wanted. It's at the far end of Waikiki with a marvelous swimming beach (Sans Souci) right out the door. Quiet, out of the busy part of Waikiki, but a 15-20 minute walk away if you're missing the action. I booked a Deluxe Ocean View room on Travelocity for $183 plus $43 taxes and fees. Before I checked in I made myself look very presentable, (business casual) and fresh (after a long 5 hour full plane flight crammed into a tiny coach seat) and had my cool new Tumi suit case and was given an upgrade to a junior suite. It was a great room with a small living room that had a sofa, desk and flat screen TV. There were sliding doors that separated the bedroom. Best of all there was a wrap-around balcony with views of Waikiki beach AND Diamond Head. There is a smaller building that is also part of the hotel and although some of the rooms ini this small back building have beach views, some look out onto the parking lot. I would really spend the extra money and get an ocean view in the main building. For the price of a dinner I had chosen to upgrade to a deluxe ocean front, and by luck was upgraded. The way the main building of the hotel is oriented it looks like most rooms have a view of either Diamond Head, the beach, or out to the ocean. The hotel has many Japanese guests and there are nice Japanese touches in the rooms, like kimonos and a tea service, including a small tea pot with matching cups.
I had breakfast at the hotel's outdoor Hale Tree restaurant but was not too impressed. Too much waiting, coffee not very good, kind of expensive but then again, I was right on the beach. I preferred the little shaved ice place downstairs where I got a great cup of coffee and a muffin for $4. We had dinner in the Miyako, the Japanese restaurant on the second floor. VERY Japanese and not for everyone. The sushi was very good, super fresh fish, delicious tempura. We were the only English-speaking Americans in the restaurant. It was $85 for 2.
Back to the hotel room, it was very clean, the bathroom was a bit dated (some fraying of the wallpaper in the bathroom, some unattractive grout in the bathroom, thin louvred bathroom door which could be a little awkward but then I'm kind of scrambling to say anything negative) The amenities were by the French company Occitane , very nice! I would have liked a nice reading light, but the lighting looked attractive. Housekeeping was very prompt and thorough. The front desk staff is somewhat reserved in their demeanor. I think some people can take this as surly but I did not find it that way. They do not have forced smiles on their faces and they are very quick and efficient. This may be their style, there are a lot of Japanese guests, maybe that's the way they do things. It didn't bother me. For example, at the service desk they lend you straw mats, beach chairs and towels. We kept on getting mix ups because I would return the towels when no one was there, so it looked like I had 10 towels out when I had none. But it all worked out. A few last things: there is no pool (who needs one? the ocean is like a gigantic pool and it's right outside the door), the super cool W hotel is right next door which would be fun for a drink, parking is plentiful across the street, 25 cents an hour with a maximum of 4 hours, free from 6 pm to 10 am, or you could valet. Will definitely return to this hidden gem.

Stayed: July 2008
4  Thank kmostrach
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I got a great deal, but it wasn't my money. I traveled for business and stayed two days at this hotel. There are many positives. Yes it is quiet but close to the action, a boutique hotel, staff was great w/ bartender Gerry a legend with repeat patrons over many many years, many other things close by, and very pretty views.
I can't imagine ever staying here with the wife and kid in such a small room. The AC, although very good was right next to my bed. It blew down on me the first night until I was freezing. I managed to adjust the motorized air vent control, but I didn't totally get it figured out. The bathroom I thought was a bit dated and water didn't run down the bathtub/shower drain the best. The beach is small here.
I hope the info helps, I people watched a lot of happy tourists and locals in Honolulu, that helped make this business trip a bit easier.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank SoCalGringo
Reviewed May 26, 2008

This was my third visit to the New Otani. The hotel is really amazing that it can be so close to the Waikiki scene (a 20 - 25 minute walk) and so absolutely removed from it. It sits on its own beach next to the Kapiolani Park. So, the impression of one's surroundings is just ocean and trees. No street noise, no crowds of people.

Although the rooms are small, they are comfortable and clean. Parking is very tight, but they always have found a space for our car. And you don't really have to have a car since The Bus stops just a bit away from the hotel. Since we are return visitors, the hotel has consistently offered us special little favors. So, even if the location didn't bring us back, the staff's service would. It's a great property!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank rohini41
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I booked this hotel and had concerns after reading all of the other reviews stating that the rooms were antiquated and customer service was horrible. All of that was put to rest when I got there. I booked the cheapest room (I value my money), and when I checked in, simply asked for an ocean view at the same price and they were happy to oblige. The hotel lobby is beautiful, with an open bay straight to the water. The room was small, but it was just my wife and I and we were not there for the hotel room. I wanted to get out, so it didn't bother me at all. As far as being antiquated, I couldn't tell. I could have marked it down for the a/c, but I didn't complain about it to maintenance since I could just leave the patio door open and get all of the ocean breeze I could stand. Beautiful view from the balcony also. I spent alot of time there. Parking is easily circumvented. $18 for valet or simply park right in the street for free. Across the street is free from 6pm-10am at Diamond Head park, and then you have to feed a meter. I don't recommend getting a rental car anyways. You're not going to see Hawaii in a rental car. You really need to get off of Oahu to do that. If you do get a car, only get it when you need it because Waikiki is within walking distance to get everything you need. To sum it up, I would definitely, and probably will, stay again. The scenery and comfort cannot be beat compared to the hotels I saw in Waikiki. Excellent place for young couples who want peace and quiet to relax between activities with a beautiful beach and view.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple