“Unit was really old and furniture dilapidated”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I booked this hotel for a 5 day vacation in Honolulu, I was given a unit that really falling apart and smelled bad. i had requested a king size bed but the unit had twin beds. i was mostly disappointed because the rate i paid was the same as staying in the renovated tower. They advertised as having a washer and dryer in its units but in it did not, they have a laundry center with 1 machine and dryer for everyone staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: request a room in the new/renovated tower.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Madelyn S
KaimanaHotel, Director of Sales at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor and for your recent stay at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. Anytime there is dissatisfaction with our product, we encourage guests to let the front desk or management know as soon as possible to ensure immediate action can be implemented. We see that the room you checked in was the One Bedroom, located in the Diamond Head Wing (walk-up). Upon reviewing the reservation, there was no notation on the reservation itself which indicates two twin beds is requested, however we do try our best to deliver specific bedding requests when asked. We apologize if this was failed. The hotel is planning to start soft renovations with the rooms in the Diamond Head Wing. Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you again. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention. Mahalo from the staff and management at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel.

There are newer reviews for The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I were in town for a wedding and booked this hotel for a week long stay. The hotel is undergoing renovations (which we did not know) and the room we were given was NOT renovated. Tiny, smelly, dirty, dilapidated. I refused to sleep in the bed and the one chair was so dirty I put a towel over it before I sat down. However, the real reason for the bad review is that there was no effort made to accommodate us. When we called downstairs to inquire what would happen if we checked out early we were told we would pay for the night. No one asked "is there a problem?" or "Would you like a different room?" Even when we showed up in the lobby with our suitcases 40 minutes after we checked in (there was no way I was going to spend even one night in that room) no one asked if there was anything they could do. To their credit, they did not charge us for the night, merely watched us load our bags in the taxi and leave.

Other people in town for the same event did stay there in the renovated sections and say it was okay. However, we could not leave fast enough. The room was so bad I am surprised they didn't try to warn us. We would have been willing to upgrade if necessary to change rooms. As it was we booked into the Marriott at a bit more than we would have paid here, the New Otani didn't even offer that or anything else as a solution.

4  Thank Blissed1015
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Pick a newly renovated room great views of ocean or Waikiki skyline
probably a pricey hotel as your paying for location great staff and exceptional conceierge

if your planning just to stay in hotel and on the beach and u get a deal the yes stay here.. If not stay cheaper you only will sleep there

Room Tip: Pick an upper floor and the best room u can afford
4  Thank Lucychops
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We recently spent two weeks in Hawaii,including several days in Honolulu. This hotel had been booked online through an agency there. It is owned by Japanese-American interests, so the decor is contemporary, neat, and oriental. The service is polite and very good--we were checked in promptly, even though we had arrived early for our room. A minor glitch with our new flat screen HD TV was fixed promptly. We requested a corner, ocean front room which was provided as an upgrade. The linens were fresh daily and turned down in the evening with a plumeria flower on each top pillow. One of the nicest features was their open-air beach front Hau Tree Lanai restaurant, where we both had an excellent breakfast. The down-side was the small bathroom. A mini-frig. is provided, but no microwave, which would have been nice. This is busy Waikiki, adjacent to the famous beach, two public parks, and other hotels, so it is crowded there.

Room Tip: High ocean-front, corner room--you'll pay more, but the view is great!. (Unable to delete my ty...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BozemanDick
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is my third visit to Oahu in the last 12 months and 20 something visit in the last 20 years and I have to say the most enjoyable visit of all thanks to the Kaimana Beach Hotel where I’m currently staying for 9 nights. The location is perfect if you want Ocean views, but not right in the crazy hustle and bustle on downtown Waikiki . You are only a 10 to 15 minutes’ walk away along the pretty beach front or beautiful park to downtown, so it’s best of both worlds here. The hotel is right on the San Souci beach as is their restaurant. The staff are family like and that is all part of the charm of this hotel that gives it its personality and character. From the Valet to the reception, everyone is helpful. It's obvious talking to a few other regular guest that once you’ve stayed here you won’t want to stay anywhere else. Why would you with views and a location like this. The rooms are currently having a makeover and I started my vacation in their basic room not yet refurbished, which was amazing value for the money. Really good views of Diamond Head and I could see the ocean, plus free in room internet, what more could you want. I’ve had to work a few days from my room while here, so I asked if I could get a better room. The lady on reception went out of her way and for a very reasonable price. I got one of their amazing deluxe beach front refurbished room with a wraparound lanai and breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and the Waikiki skyline, which at sunset is memorable sitting on your own private Lanai. Then to wake up to sunrise over Diamond Head as the first rays hit the Pacific, it’s the perfect honeymoon location. I can confirm the photos are very accurate, which is a nice surprise compared to other hotels I’ve stayed at. I really don’t understand why this hotel is not in the top 10 on Tripadvisor for Waikik. I stayed at a hotel right next door last year which is highly ranked and yet the Kaimana Beach beats it for views, service, and room quality (refurbished rooms). I can’t recommend it enough. I also advise asking for one of their rooms ending in 17. You won’t regret it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Club_Lounge_Guest
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The New Otani Kaimana Beach is ON the beach and one that is less crowd than right on the main street in Waikiki. There is the ocean on one side of the hotel and a large green park on the other side. The bus to most of the city runs right in front of the hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. Waikiki IS a resort zone- so it is expensive and fairly crowd. Kaimana is more like what Hawaii use to be before it biggered itself.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank honohi
KaimanaHotel, Director of Sales at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor and for selecting The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. We are a small hotel with a family like atmosphere. Our valued guests is a part of this Ohana, and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Mahalo Nui Loa, from the Staff and Management.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great hotel in a great location. We had the ocean/wakiki superior room on 8th floor. The view is amazing and the room is modern with a very comfortable bed and a large balcony with table and two chairs. The hotel is on a smaller, more secluded beach than waikiki but if you would prefer the busier waikiki beach it is only a ten minute stroll. The smaller beach (san souci ithink its called) is much less crowded and has a lifeguard so safety is not an issue. There is a park between Waikiki and the hotel, but we found this park safe to pass through even after midnight. We just stayed on the road and the worst we came across was a large cockroach and a homeless guy asking for dimes. We ate breakfast in the hotel on two mornings (you must book this 24 hours beforehand as it is very popular), which was quite expensive but was delicious and had a great view looking out onto the pacific ocean. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were cleaned spotless everyday. I would highly recommend this hotel, as it is close enough to Waikiki to enjoy each evening but far enough away to be able to relax. Diamond head is the large mountain/crater opposite the hotel and I would recommend walking up for some beautiful views of honolulu (this hike is not very strenuous and takes 30/35mins and is suitable for most fitness levels). Gym, spa, beauty salon/hairdresser, convenience store, clothes store, japanese restaraunt, self service laundry/laundry service all available.

Room Tip: Ocean/Waikiki superior room was perfect for us - room large enough for two - modern, clean, comforta...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com
3  Thank mejoc79