“Terrible Hotel Unless You Upgrade to Highest Level (Probably)”

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
North Stonington, Connecticut
“Terrible Hotel Unless You Upgrade to Highest Level (Probably)”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Fully agree that photos are deceiving: the room into which we were initially placed was smaller than would have been permitted by prisons in most states. The front desk manager was unfriendly to the point of being unwelcoming; true, I asked to be moved from the impossibly small, tacky, un-renovated noisy room on the 4th floor over the parking lot as soon as I saw it, but I was polite and professional. She was dismissive, curt, and unresponsive. Only after another manager came on duty was I taken seriously (would it have been different if my husband had made the request? I got the feeling I was not treated with respect for several reasons, but my gender was one of them). The next room was slightly more expensive but it wasn't claustrophobic; other guests who upgraded to the top-level rooms liked them, apparently, but for that kind of money, I'd stay at the Halekulani or a cleaner, updated hotel. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone, despite exceptionally good service from a friendly bell staff--they appeared to be the only folks who understood the meaning of the word "hospitality." They put you in awful rooms and extort more money for a decent night's stay once you are there.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are SURE you can get the highest-grade rooms possible. The others are miserabl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dr R M
KaimanaHotel, Director of Sales at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel and your valuable comments made on Trip Advisor. Your patronage is extremely important to us and we regret any inconvenience or frustration you have experienced during your stay. Each and every comment made on Trip Advisor is reviewed by all staff and management in hopes to quickly correct any displeasing situation. We hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you in the future. Mahalo Nui Loa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Early in my Hawaiian trip I shattered my leg which required surgery. This Hotel was part of the last leg of my trip and by the time my wife and I arrived we hadn't seen much of anything outside of the hospital. When I arrived in my wheelchair, the manager upgraded my room to ocean view and they arranged to allow me to stay longer as I couldn't fly home right away.
For our entire stay the staff continually asked about my recouperation and how they could make us more comfortable. They made sure we always had everything we needed and I've never felt so welcome....
Since much of my time had to be spent sitting around, the room was perfect and my recuperation was enhanced with the relaxing ocean view from our balcony.
The restaurant's food was delicious and appetizers were usually enough for us.
The location really offers a private feel and the beach is great, but the staff and management made our stay here special and memorable.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Willreed
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Found this small hotel away from the crowds of Wakikiki. Peaceful surroundings, witha great beach without the crowds. Small lobby bar and oceanfront breakfast dining. Comfortable rooms with ocean views. I was on business , but felt like i was on vacation at a private resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Homer W
Carmel, California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Tnis is a small boutique hotel very near Diamond Head away from Waikiki, but close enough if you want to stroll over. They have a small bar for light bites. Theynalsomhave the very renowned resturant....Hau Tree. Excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It sits practically on the sand. A Robert Louis Stevenson hangout. They even have a suite named after him. The team at the hotel is excellent. They will see to your every need. Rooms are small, very small. It's the location your after, not the room. The beach in front is a "local beach". Safe swimming. Not really set up for kids.....

Room Tip: Ocean front!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kittyrascal
Lahaina, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel for one night while on business. When doing my research on the hotel, I was impressed with how beautiful they were and anticipated a beautiful room when we arrived. To our disbelief, the room we were given looked more like a cheap motel room still decorated in 70's decor. When I called the front desk, I was told that there was nothing that could be done to move our room, but I could pay to upgrade to the room advertised on the website . . we declined.

I feel this hotels advertising is totally deceiving and will not stay at this hotel again.

See photos. . . .

Room Tip: You;ll have to pay for one of the newly renovated rooms or suites. $$
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
11 Thank Pacific Builder... M
Thank you for selecting The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel and for your comments made on Trip Advisor. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible product and when you feel that we had failed to meet your expectations, it’s important for us to know. The room you stayed in was the "Moderate" room which is our most economical category out of 16 other categories we have here. We apologize if you had any misconceptions of the room itself. Our website lists an accurate description of the each of the categories, which includes the size, view and photo, so guests will expect the kind of room they paid for. If there was a 3rd party involved, such as an on line travel agent, we apologize the agent failed to communicate this to you. We regret any inconvenience or frustration that your experience has caused you. Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.
Long Island, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Beachfront property on the quiet, non-commercial end of Waikiki. Stayed on the 7th floor facing diamond crater great room with a sitting area, frig and large balcony with seating. Our rate included breakfast which never disappointed and was served in a lovely open air restaurant setting looking out to the ocean. The mai-tais and banana daiquiris in the lounge were perfect and the fried zucchini app was excellent. The staff at the reception desk were incredibly pleasant and went above and beyond to answer any question we had providing bus info maps etc. my only complaint would be the absence of a pool but that was a fact we were well aware prior to booking. As for restaurants within comfortable walking distance....lulu's great fish tacos ( casual good for sunset, reasonably priced, Tiki's great mai-tais, fish and chips also casual good for sunsets. Favorite was Uncle Bo's the seafood trap appetizer is a must, the baked opah with shrimp and the seabass dinners were not only great but included a starch and veggie for $22 Drinks were also very good and cheap ($8 avg)
Must Do: the diamond crater hike sneakers or hiking shoes are a must and don't forget your camera. Took the 23 bus to the entrance ($2.50 pp) walked in and paid the fee of $1 hike took a comfortable 80 minutes round trip.

Room Tip: Stay in the main bldg
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank withak66
whittier, ca
Reviewed January 12, 2013

It's like you are a world away from the hustle and bustle of Wakiki. Quite boutique hotel fronting the best section of beach in Wakiki. The beach isn't crowed even on the weekend, and there is a calm cove to swim. Oh and the views are to die for, especially at night. As a boutique, it lacks some of the facilities you find in larger hotels. There is no pool (not that you need one with the great beach just a step away), the bar closes early and the restaurant isn't open all the hours of the day (let alone late at night). However what they do have, it top notch. The restaurant food is excellent, the serve great drinks at the bar, and the rooms are wonderful. I was in one fo the upper rooms facing the ocean, and it was clearly renovated recently. Quality furnishings, nice bed, marble bathroom with new fixtures, and large flat screen TVs. They have a activities desk, furnish towels and mats for the beach, and rent snorkels/fins. I found the service staff very good if at times a bit slow. The hotel and rooms were always clean and well kept. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, do get an Ocean view room, it is worth the money.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank edward v
KaimanaHotel, Director of Sales at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for selecting the Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant. We like to hear all comments from our valued guests as we greatly appreciate your patronage. Mahalo from the staff and management at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel.