“Excellent Hotel and Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Perth, Australia
“Excellent Hotel and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

This hotel is highly recommended for value and service and convenience. My husband sometimes uses a wheelchair and the hotel supplied this free of charge for one week! Being right on the beach, we ate regularly at the restaurant there and the food was superb. Our view from our room over the sea and Honolulu was magnificent and breath taking. All staff were very helpful and our clothes washing could be done very cheaply as they have a laundry. Our room was very comfortable. This hotel was such good value.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
6 Thank oryxPerth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Polish first
Altadena, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2007

My wife and I were looking to do an inexpensive week in Hawaii so that we can come back more often. The New Otani is probably the least expensive hotel that is directly on the beach -which means that you can walk out of the lobby onto sand -and it has great snorkeling. My wife and I were surprised to find a sea turtle in such a busy area as Waikiki. The hotel location was a short walk from the maddening crowds and though the surrounding parks had some homeless wandering around (like in Santa Monica, CA) we didn’t feel unsafe or uncomfortable. By the way, if you are a runner like me I could not think of a better place to stay to maintain you daily runs. Instead of playing the 'ocean view games’ we just decided to go for the least expensive room available. Internet rate of $135/night. Our room actually had a partial view of the ocean and Diamond Head. Perhaps it was a slow week and we got upgraded. The room was very small, a bit dated, but clean. My only gripe is that there is no door to the bathroom –only a sliding type louvered door. You better be very familiar with your traveling partner or you soon will be. The hotel is not fancy by any means but it was not a disappointment. It is just a reasonable clean place. We didn’t try any of the restaurants but did go to the fantastic Diamond Head grill at the W Hotel just 100 feet away. If you plan on spending your time outside of your room and need a good, clean, and inexpensive home base then I think the New Otani is a good choice.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Bathroom door
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank tripper2057
Fairfield,Ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

When confirming our reservation I mentioned that we would be on our honeymoon. After checking in, we were informed that we've been upgraded! We received a beautiful suite on the top floor, ocean front. What a start! A nice living area, HUGE bathroom, large and comfortable bed, panoramic view! Of course we spent a little more money in the restaurant. The food and service, from the valet to the busboy was very pleasant. We only stayed 3 nights, wish it were more. The beach was semi-private, yet you felt like you were alone. The Mai-Tais were the best on our entire trip, sunset included! Whenever we go back to Hawaii, will definitly stay here. You're away from the noise of Waikiki, very relaxing. Moral of the story....Perfect!

• Liked — Free upgrade
  • Disliked — out of the way
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank upsman1
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

Great small little hotel just east of Waikiki. (5 minute walk) The location and the Hau Tree restaurant are wonderful. The rooms are small, but who spends time in their room in Hawaii. If you do not like to walk or need a pool this hotel is not for you. Breakfast at the Hau Tree is a must. The best seat in town.

I would recommend this hotel to older couples without children who do not need all the glits and glamore of a large resort.

We had a moderate room with a great view of Diamond Head and a narrow stretch of the beach.

I will stay here again with my wife, but not with my children.
Request a room on a high floor for a bette view and breeze.

• Liked — The price and the Hau Tree Restaurant
  • Disliked — The rooms are very small
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Steinbrenner
Caloundra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

We stayed on the fifth floor, which had magnificent views of Waikiki, the beach and park. The room was a little small, but certainly big enough for two.

The staff were all lovely and very helpful, when asked questions.

We had a fifteen minute walk into Waikiki, which was good exercise. There are buses at the end and across the park and the 8, 19 and 20 take you to the Ala Moana shopping centre, where all the main shops are. The No. 2 bus is the only one that actually goes past the hotel, coming back, but if you take one of the others, there's just a short walk across the park to the hotel.

We especially enjoyed the quiet surroundings of the hotel and the beach attached to it was lovely. Swimming was great.

Stayed August 2007
13 Thank HappyTraveller60
Oahu, HI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2007

Booked 2 rooms - one for me and the other for my teenage daughter and her 2 girlfriends. I had the ocean view room. The room itself was a bit small, considering the divider had a single bed in the living room. The bedroom itself had 2 single beds, so 3 people fit comfortably in one room. The view itself was very gorgeous. and mesmerizing. I took a nap one afternoon with the screen door open and fell asleep listening to the ocean. My daughter and her friend's were put into the older 3 story walk-up building. It was very spacious and you could easily fit 5 people. They had a microwave, dishes, a dining table with 4 chairs, large outside balcony, coffee maker and 4 large closets, a vanity station, and small shower. For the value, I suggest getting the 1 bedroom. I liked the fact that your hotel card key is used for each floor of the walk-up building, insuring better security. The location is perfect for a Waikiki Shell concert. Food wise, you should venture downstairs to have coffee and great baked goods (muffins, sinful desserts, etc). The restaurant downstairs has a great Sunday breakfast (hint: make reservations) and the food was a bit pricey, but worth it. My daughter ordered breakfast through room service and it arrived within 10 minutes. I have yet to experience any hotel beat this record time. The location being farther away from the noisy part of Waikiki is great because you are forced to walk at least 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the better restaurants. The food areas closer to the hotel are the local Starbuck's and Lulu's. Not to mention Teddy's Burgers. For parking, arrive early and park on the street (free parking) as there are many stalls near the hotel. The Sans Souci beach is much cleaner than the more populated part of Waikiki and is drop dead gorgeous. The hotel provides a small safe and internet service has to be ordered for a fee. Not having to wait for the elevator is a plus because you do not wait long for one to arrive! This is one of the older hotels in Waikiki and is a popular place for those who prefer to be near Waikiki away from the loud noisy streets. Call them today!

• Liked — The large tub and separate shower in the Ocean Front room
  • Disliked — Parking is a problem here. The attendants seem to park cars closely. Made me a little nervous, so I parked on the street.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank Oheloai
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

My wife and I have been staying in this hotel regularly since 1990. We find it wonderfully relaxing particularly if you are staying in a room at least on the seventh floor facing the ocean. The swaying coconut palms that are just below you are amazingly hypnotic. This is the only hotel that I know that I can spend hours on the balcony with a book ; totally at ease.
The rooms are a little small but with the beach immediately adjacent and the park also adjacent it is easy to go for a peaceful stroll so if like me you quickly go ' stir crazy ' it will not happen here.
There is a small store just at the front of the hotel to buy sandwiches and beer and wine so it is entirely possible to have an al-fresco picnic in the park, or on the beach, or on your balcony. If you take alcohol onto the beach be careful as in June within seven days we saw three Police patrols looking for drugs/alcohol ? I personally find that reassuring - just be careful.

The staff are friendly and helpful and many have been there for years !
The restaurant overlooking the beach and at its level is lovely.

• Liked — The ambiance
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple