“Awesome musubi, great price!”

Musubi Cafe Iyasume
Ranked #31 of 2,368 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Open hour 7 days OPEN 6:30am to 8:00pm
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awesome musubi, great price!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

A hole in the wall, great if you're eating on a budget but not wanting to sacrifice quality. It's walkable from Waikiki Beach, just behind the Hyatt, on Koa Ave, just parallel to the main street that is Kalakaua Ave. They make their musubi on the spot so it comes out warm and fresh. The rice is light and quite fluffy- not too sticky nor dry. The filling is sufficient, unlike other places where the rice to other ingredient ratio is too high! Regular spam musubi is $1.88 before tax, with other varieties up to $2.38. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the spicy salmon with cod roe... It was spicy but manageable! They also have bento lunches with various combinations of Japanese food- fried chicken, salmon, daikon... each for about $5 to $7. I got a deluxe combo- 2 musubis (pick any!), fried chicken, 2 small sausages, and a lovely bowl of Japanese vegetable stew (not just miso, but with a good serving of daikon and carrots!)

2 tiny tables inside and an equally small one outside... so if you don't have a seat, take your fresh musubi and enjoy it as you sit by the beach which is a 5 min walk away, to the envy of everyone eating cold sandwiches and much more expensive but regular fare!

I went there thrice in 2 days, but could only get ONE musubi with the cash I had left. They take visa and mastercard too, but not amex!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lizlovestravelling

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“Do not Miss”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've had my share of onigiri/musubi in Japan and in the East Coast but Iyasume beats them hands down. The rice is cooked perfectly and every musubi we had was seasoned well. It is also very cheap compared to anything else you can get in Oahu. You just need a car to get there.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Danny H
Los Angeles, California
“Best Musubi!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The small shop is located on Koa Ave, right in the middle between Kaiulani Ave and Uluniu Ave. At first I thought I was in the shopping area right on the corner of Koa & Kaiulani, but it's to the right of that in a small alleyway.

We came here twice and both times we walked from our hotel, so not sure about the parking situation. The first time we came here, a girl was working and we were in and out, like that!

I ordered two Musubi. One with Spam, sweet egg, and bacon and one with just Spam & egg. TOTAL = $5.00.
Wow, I didn't know you could make Spam taste so good. It didn't have the super salty taste it usually does and a hint of sweet with the egg. There was also plenty of rice which was a nice consistency and texture. Wonderful little compact and filling treat.

On our last day on Oahu, we walked over again in the morning to get a couple more as snacks for the airport. This time a young guy was working and he had no idea what he was doing. I was 2nd in line, and all I wanted was to buy 2 pre-made Musubi. A guy was there yelling at him "Hey! I don't have all day, I have to get back to work!". Apparently, he had over charged him and he was waiting forever to get his $ back and his order.
You can tell he's a regular though and he became really sweet when the lady brought out his soup. He thanks her by calling her "mama".
A couple was ahead of us and the poor guy had so much trouble ringing up their order. His finger was always on the menu trying to look up prices and he didn't know how to use the cash register.

After about 15 minutes, I got my Musubi, but he totally didn't give me a bag for them.
I guess it was his first day????

Overall, if you are on Oahu and have heard about these "Spam sushi" creations and want to try for yourself, then I'd suggest making a stop here if you're in the Waikiki area. Definitely get the one with egg AND bacon!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Charlene C
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You don't know SPAM until you try musubi!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Simple food done at the highest level. When you take a bite you know the people at Iyasume have taken care in preparing every ingredient in your meal. Spam musubi will haunt you until you get your next fix. Very addictive.

1 Thank Johnny L
Palo Alto, California
“Hands down the best place to get your musubi, period”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This a small place that delivers tasty morsels of goodness. It's a hidden gem of Honolulu.

Many days I would walk from the Outrigger hotel so I can nom nom on the incredible musubi.

The staff is hard working and very nice. This is now my go to place to visit when I'm in Honolulu.

I bought my favorite insulated lunch bag from this restaurant; it's a musubi bag. I still get compliments

• Visited August 2012