“Tasty malasadas, cheap breakfast”
Review of Champion Malasadas

Champion Malasadas
Ranked #8 of 37 Bakeries in Honolulu
Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
San Jose, Ca
“Tasty malasadas, cheap breakfast”
Reviewed December 30, 2010

First time trying a malasada. Reminded me of a small doughnut. Lady said one to get is the plain one. Was good as it was warm and tasty.

Also tried chocolate and custard. Was only ok. Guava chiffon cake was good.

Had breakfast too. No frills, but cheap...beats hotel prices.

1 Thank traveler_dl

Northern California
“Champion Malasada Convert!”
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Generations of my family have been going to that "other malasada bakery" for half a century. But, I'm now a happy Champion Malasada convert! Whatever we thought was a perfect malasada before, has been completely over-taken by this upstart. I know it's been around for a few years, but changing one's decades-old habit takes time.

It felt like I was betraying an old friend whenever I went to Champion. But, as in life, sometimes ya just gotta move on to something better! Champion's malasadas are always HOT and satisfying. The inside texture of the Champion malasada dough is dense and rich. Their other bakery items are good, but who wants to buy a pastry when there are malasadas calling your name? Parking is often challenging at Champion. Sometimes the customers are intent on getting in and out as quickly as possible with little regard for others' safety and cars. Oh, well. There are sacrifices to be made for exceptional cuisine.

They have breakfast on the menu, but I've never been tempted to stray from that fried ball of dough.

I wish they would open earlier. I dropped by before 6 am, but they were still closed. Had to settle for "the other malasada" to take to a group of friends since we were all meeting at 6.

After all these years in business, Champion still doesn't have a "tip jar" on the counter next to the cashier. Too bad! I would be happy to tip them every time. Bon appetite!

2 Thank TitaNui