“Best malasadas on the island!”
Review of Champion Malasadas

Champion Malasadas
Ranked #10 of 35 Bakeries in Honolulu
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I made it my goal on my last trip to Oahu to try several different bakery`s malasadas to determine which one was the best. Champions was definitely the champion! The sugar malasadas are made hot as you order them and are SO good! Everyone goes to Leonards -- and I have in the past and did the last trip too -- but I will now skip the ``other place`` malasada place and go back to Champions. The glazed malasadas with the chocolate drizzle were also delicious, but I wasn`t too fond of the chiffon cake. But if you want the freshest, fluffiest and most delicious malasada on Oahu be sure to try this place!

2  Thank shannondenise

Reviewed August 9, 2011

I had heard so much about how good malasadas taste that I just had to have one (or maybe more). We found Champion Malasadas easily (about 20 min bus ride from Waikiki) while on our way to the Iolani Palace one day. The malasadas (we had the custard cream filled ones) were sooooo good. Light as a feather. No wonder people become "addicted" to them. Just wish they'd had tables where we could sit down and enjoy them with a cold drink. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

We rented a car for one day and decided to try malasadas at Champions because of the good reviews and it's location close to our route. We had the custard filled and bought a cinnamon roll as well. Both were excellent and couldn't have been out of the oven more than a few hours. We got some malasadas at Leonard's the next day. They were very good as well, but my wife and I both liked the goods at Champions better. Try them out, I bet you'll love them too.

5  Thank intrepidaviator
Reviewed December 30, 2010

First time trying a malasada. Reminded me of a small doughnut. Lady said one to get is the plain one. Was good as it was warm and tasty.

Also tried chocolate and custard. Was only ok. Guava chiffon cake was good.

Had breakfast too. No frills, but cheap...beats hotel prices.

1  Thank traveler_dl
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Generations of my family have been going to that "other malasada bakery" for half a century. But, I'm now a happy Champion Malasada convert! Whatever we thought was a perfect malasada before, has been completely over-taken by this upstart. I know it's been around for a few years, but changing one's decades-old habit takes time.

It felt like I was betraying an old friend whenever I went to Champion. But, as in life, sometimes ya just gotta move on to something better! Champion's malasadas are always HOT and satisfying. The inside texture of the Champion malasada dough is dense and rich. Their other bakery items are good, but who wants to buy a pastry when there are malasadas calling your name? Parking is often challenging at Champion. Sometimes the customers are intent on getting in and out as quickly as possible with little regard for others' safety and cars. Oh, well. There are sacrifices to be made for exceptional cuisine.

They have breakfast on the menu, but I've never been tempted to stray from that fried ball of dough.

I wish they would open earlier. I dropped by before 6 am, but they were still closed. Had to settle for "the other malasada" to take to a group of friends since we were all meeting at 6.

After all these years in business, Champion still doesn't have a "tip jar" on the counter next to the cashier. Too bad! I would be happy to tip them every time. Bon appetite!

2  Thank TitaNui