“Most terrible food ever”

Sekiya's Restaurant & Deli
Ranked #689 of 2,389 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Hawaii
“Most terrible food ever”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This restaurant has been closed by the board of health in the past and considering the food they served, it might be headed that way again. I ordered a pork sukiyaki dish and when it was served, I was overwhelmed by the odor of pig feces. Enough said.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank smlhi

Honolulu
“An old favorite for local food”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great menu selections of local grindz. Cousins from Okinawa dropped in and we went straight to Sekiya's for lunch. They enjoyed it.

• Visited October 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“what happened to this place?!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went for dinner recently with family after an event near the area. I ordered the zaru soba, others ordered everything from hamburgers, tempura hash, tendon, and saimin (ramen).

First, let me say that the wait help were arguing with each other in english and chinese, and at each other about other workers in the main dining area, out loud, and well within ear shot of everyone in the restaurant. One of them took a break, sat in a booth, and proceeded to loudly argue with someone over her phone about something that was published in a book she read (yes, everyone could hear her and no, she didn't seem to care). So, let's just say the wait help left a lot to be desired.

On to the food. How much can you mess up zaru soba? It's cold soba with a broth on the side to dip it in. Obviously, you can screw up a lot. The noodles were cold, yes, they're supposed to be, but they were clumped together and stuck. As for consistency, they were undercooked. The broth was absolutely horrible. Usually the broth is a dashi based broth and a little bit sweet. I said A LITTLE. Their broth tasted like it was made of pure sugar. It was so sweet i thought i was eating candy. I even attempted to salvage my meal by just putting a little dash of soy sauce on my noodles and dousing them with a bit of hot green tea. It helped a little. But I didn't have the stomach to finish half this dish.

The tendon that another family member ordered initially came with some side dish of something that looked like mush. we realized it was the tempura bits with sauce over it.. but they had soaked up the sauce completely and looked disgusting. We couldn't figure out what it really was for about 5 minutes. We had to ask for regualr tempura sauce or they never would have brought it.

The hamburgers reaked of oil, the tempura hash was heavily battered and had oil dripping off of them.

This is so not the Sekiya's I remember from my youth. I can say one thing. If I have a choice, I'm never going back. It's such a disappointment to see something that used to bring back great memories of good times and good food end up like this.

• Visited July 2013
Mill Bay
“Fun to step back in time but wouldn't go back”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant today after reading about their history and menu online. The parking is good, which is a benefit for this end of town. The restaurant is very old and has not been updated inside I would think since they opened. It's very worn but I found it to be reasonably clean. We ordered their famous Hash Tempura but it wasn't our thing. Our waitress didn't seem very chipper but we managed to use our Canadian charm and get a smile in the end. My husband got the small wun tun and hamburger and I got the small saimen with bean sprouts and veggies added with 2 chicken yakitori sticks. Out of all the items we shared, the hamburger was the best. The broth in the soup wasn't very flavourful. It is a historical restaurant and seemed busy with locals but our bill was over $40.00 (we had tea and a diet coke with our food)) and we felt it was expensive for the experience. Too many other cheaper and better alternatives to choose from to go back for a second try. Sorry Sekiyas...just keeping it real. PS WHEELCHAIR ACCESS DOABLE AS THEY OFFER TWO LONG TABLES AS WELL AS BOOTH SEATING.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank LeahfromBC
Honolulu, Hawaii
“A favorite from "small kid time"”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Growing up in Kaimuki, we always loved going to Sekiya's for a box full of okazuya favorites like cone/maki sushi, mac salad, chow mein or chow fun, shrimp tempura, fried chicken, and my wife's all time favorite...hash balls.

I haven't been there recently for their okazuya; however we have dined in for their Japanese entrees. Their dinner combinations with shrimp tempura and teri chicken, chicken karrage, or other local specialty are very tasty. The prices are a little high considering the portion sizes, but all in all a satisfying meal.

I'd rate this restaurant a B+ to an A-. If you have a large appetite, go elsewhere, but if you're in the mood for some old time local Japanese cuisine, then give them a try.

• Visited May 2012