“Innovative take on Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Shokudo

Shokudo
Reserve with OpenTable
Shokudo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #259 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Cross street: Mahukona St. / Kaheka St.
Description: Presenting "the new wave in Japanese dining," Shokudo Japanese Restaurant & Bar offers an affordable dining experience with a dramatic architectural and design details. Much like the familiar, casual dining of Tokyo's center city, Shokudo Japanese offers an elaborate menu selection that encompasses both traditional Japanese dishes and the many ethnic and foreign influences that now infuse the popular dining culture of the country. A sleek floating bar placed at the center of the restaurant that hosts specialty cocktails and martinis, including the traditional and contemporary preparations of sake and shochu. Shokudo Japanese transports diners to an exciting revolution in popular Japanese dining, the perfect spot for celebrations and the gathering of friends and family.
Singapore, Singapore
“Innovative take on Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Don't go here if you're a Japanese food traditionalist. They use their imaginations to come up with their own variations on Japanese food, with their sushi rolls really illustrating this. I had a maguro roll infused with garlic and sprinkled with garlic chips. It was delicious!
Large menu though with great variety. Perhaps the traditionalists could actually find something there that would make them happy too!

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Shokudo well worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Our family dined here twice and really enjoyed it, thoroughly recommend the garlic scallops and the honey toast lives up to its billing.

Los Angeles, California
“Really, it's all about the honey toast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

It was my first time in Hawaii and one of my friends who I was visiting suggested this place for an early dinner. He knew the menu inside and out and he made ordering simple for us... I wish I remembered exactly what we ordered but all I remember is the sushi pizza and that everything we ordered we liked. The honey toast dessert was incredible! It was the first time having a toast-style dessert like that and since then I have been trying to find one that compares. I have not been successful. I wish they could mail me some of that stuff!

One thing we did not like was the sticky table and the fact that I had to take a napkin to wipe the crumbs off my seat. Also, the service was sub-par. The place was bustling and busy... because they were understaffed! Apparently, that seems to be the norm.

The food gets 4 stars... the service and cleanliness gets 2 stars... so, this place gets a solid 3 stars.

• Visited June 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I went here with two friends, one who is a vegetarian. There were people waiting outside, a sign that good food awaits. Although it was crowded we were seated quickly. A fairly extensive menu with food meant to be shared. A favorite was the house made tofu. I also enjoyed the cucumber shiso salad. Overall food was good, and great service. I definitely will come here again when I have more time and an empty stomach! Also has a bar so great place to meet friends.

Hilo, Hawaii
“Great food, service and drinks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I've been here a few times, and the overall experience is consistent. The food is amazing! The service is very good, although I did have to wait a little long to close out my tab, but they were great and helpful in selecting what to eat. The drinks are also amazing, try the Vodka soda! The parking is very convenient, it's behind the restaurant. The pricing is fair, because you get what you pay for!