“Worth going out of your way for”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Shokudo

Shokudo
Reserve with OpenTable
Shokudo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #259 of 2,340 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Cross street: Mahukona St. / Kaheka St.
Description: Presenting "the new wave in Japanese dining," Shokudo Japanese Restaurant & Bar offers an affordable dining experience with a dramatic architectural and design details. Much like the familiar, casual dining of Tokyo's center city, Shokudo Japanese offers an elaborate menu selection that encompasses both traditional Japanese dishes and the many ethnic and foreign influences that now infuse the popular dining culture of the country. A sleek floating bar placed at the center of the restaurant that hosts specialty cocktails and martinis, including the traditional and contemporary preparations of sake and shochu. Shokudo Japanese transports diners to an exciting revolution in popular Japanese dining, the perfect spot for celebrations and the gathering of friends and family.
“Worth going out of your way for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Amazing sushi, friendly staff, lovely drinks, and great lunch specials.

I enjoy this place more than I care to admit. I hope that you do too.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Fun new restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We went to this restaurant for my 17 year olds birthday because we wanted to try something new. We had many new dishes that we had not tried before and everything was great. I especially wanted to try the honey toast since I've heard of it but had never tried it. It was very good and a fun new dining experience. I definately recommend reservations since it is pretty popular.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Better sushi than you'd think.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fatty hamachi, if they have it, order it. Fatty salmon - oh heavens it was delicious. We tried many dishes here. The fish is good, fresh, and they have great service. I wouldn't say they are the best sushi place in town, but if you're leaning one way towards Morimotos, and the other towards this place, I'd go with this place as you'll get much better value for the money. They are more casual in atmosphere, but most people don't get dressed up to eat sushi. I'd go back to this place again - although I've had better sushi, this was certainly better than the 'top' restaurant that we were thoroughly disappointed in.

• Visited April 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had read about Shokudo and decided to try it out with my family when we were shopping at the Ala Moana Center. Shokudo is located outside the mall – just a short 5min walk outside the north side exits. The space itself is attractive and contemporary and the staff was very inviting and friendly. The menu definitely blends traditional Japanese while infusing it with a more contemporary flare. I ordered the balsamic beef tataki roll and a special roll they had – the Mermaid roll. Both were delicious. My parents ordered the sukiyaki udon bowl, assorted tempura, and sashimi plate and were very satisfied with their plates. I actually wish I had been a bit more adventurous and ordered more as all the food looked fantastic. We were going to try the Honey Toast dessert (which Shokudo is known for) but upon seeing the size of it – as the table next to us ordered one – we decided to save that for another visit as the dessert was very big and we were all full and didn’t want to waste it (definitely a dessert to share!). Unfortunately we didn’t get back a second time during our stay in Hawaii – will definitely make it a stop on my next visit!

• Visited February 2013
Uber Alles, CA
“CINNAMON HONEY TOAST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Need I say more? Beautiful drinks, delicious sushi, and the best dessert I have possibly ever eaten.

Visited January 2013